9c. ➝ Chapter 5 - Panic

---

As my knees hit the grass I let out a loud brokenhearted sob. My shoulders racking with sobs that escaped my lips. Flashes of my brother appeared in front of my eyes, him smiling and happy, as the little 10 year old the day we lost our parents, then his body laying dead a few metres away from me. It was all too much for me to handle. I let out another choked sob clutching my hands into my chest. My breathing increased in pace as I stared at the grass. I was panicking.

I heaved out breaths as my throat felt like it closed over. My head twitched to the left as purple whisps started to form around my fingers. I started to panic even more now, my teary eyes widening at the magic forming a protective blanket around my hands. I couldn't let that burst off of me, I'd break everything.

My whole body started to shake as I remembered that fateful day on the field of the Avnegers Compound. With scrambling hands I quickly fished my burner flip phone out of my pocket and opened it up. I pressed dial on the only number I had logged in it, Peter's. My head twitched to the side yet again as more magic started forming around my frame, a soft purple glow illuminating the phone even more. I took in a slightly gasping breath as I held it up to my ear. It didn't take long before I heard crackling on the other end.

"Hello." Peter sleepily chimed into the phone. Even that one word from him had me calming down a little, enough so I could speak.

"Talk." I mumbled before I sealed my eyes shut. He didn't need another word out of my mouth for him to understand what was happening.

"Today me and Ned were in gym and Flash was trying to impress that, that girl, I don't remember what her name is... The girl with the ginger hair, the one that blipped and came back 5 years older. Her. Anyways, he was trying to impress her but absolutely embarrassed himself beyond belief. I think he maybe even cried a little." Whilst Peter was blabbering on in my ear my breathing calmed, my throat opening back up, allowing me to do so. My hands ceased their shaking, the magic around them slowly fading back away into nothingness.

I let out a soft chuckle at Peter's story as I used the hand that wasn't holding my phone to swipe my blotchy cheeks. Taking a deep breath in and releasing the pent up air cleared my brain so I could think properly. Glancing around the camp I noticed everyone moving around frantically. A bunch of Sword agents had armed themselves with a lot more guns while I was having my attack.

"Better?" Peter's soft voice broke my gaze from the running agents flicking it instead down to the grass below my knees.

"Yeah, thanks." I replied just as quietly as he had. A fond smile took over my face but it soon fell when I took into consideration what the time actually was. "I'm sorry if I woke you up." I mumbled, pressing my lips together as they started to quiver again.

"No, no, no. It's fine, I'm not sleeping great anyways." He huffed out shuffling around, probably in bed. I nodded along at his explanation even though he couldn't see me. "Is everything okay?" I sighed at his question, swallowing the ball forming in my throat.

"I, uh..." I trailed off bringing my hand up to harshly press against my forehead. "It's a lot more complicated than I thought it was going to be..." I told him truthfully, I didn't want to lie to him but I didn't exactly want to tell him anything specific until I was back in his arms. "I don't know when I'm... I don't know when I'm coming back yet." I sighed heavily, dropping my hand down into my lap.

"That's okay, you just stay for as long as you need to. I'll still be here when you get back." I couldn't help but smile at his sweet words. I closed my eyes dreading having to hang up the phone but I knew I had to go.