Chapter 8 - We're okay, right?

---

I groaned, rolling my head to the side as a strangled gasp entered my ears. I tried to force my eyes to clear but I wasn't working so I called out.

"Peter." I mumbled, squeezing my eyes shut in attempt to clear my sight.

"Your weakness, Peter, is mortality. It's choking you! Can you feel it?!" Goblin's screaming voice filled my ears making me flinch backwards.

Finally my eyes cleared just in time to watch May sprint over and shove the anti-Goblin syringe into Goblin's neck. He shrieked out, releasing Peter from his deathgrip. Peter frantically gasped for air. I slowly pushed myself up onto my knees, carefully trying to make my way over to Peter. I didn't get very far as my knees buckled and I was sent back onto the floor, crushing my broken wrist that was craddled into my chest. I coughed out in pain, returning my gaze to Goblin watching as he pulled out the needle, chucking it to the ground.

"It didn't work." Goblin grunted, gazing back down at Peter before his eyes flickered to me.

"It was supposed to have worked." I shakily managed to get out, finally freeing my broken wrist from underneath me. I streched out towards Goblin, pain radiating through my whole arm as I powered up my hand. I narrowed my eyes, breathing heavily as I focused in on his mind to at least bring Norman back temporarily.

"Norman was right." Goblin yelled out. Having noticed my advance he stomped his foot down onto my wrist forcing a scream to rip from my lungs. "He got it from you. That pathetic sickness!" Goblin returned his gaze to May in front of him as he angrily stomped his other foot against Peter's back, forcing him back into the ground.

Goblin bent down, making sure to grind his foot into my wrist as he gripped Peter by the back of the head, forcing him to look at May. The pain radiating from my wrist was so intense that my brain couldn't focus on anything.

"You tried to fix me..." Goblin growled in Peter's ear but I could hear it.

"May, go... May..." Peter weakly uttered out.

"Now... I'm gonna fix you." Goblin continued. His glider slowly descended and positioned itself directly behind May, ready for the finishing blow.

"May..." I called out, streching out my other hand towards her and lighting it up ready to stop the glider.

"May, run, please..." Peter added. May wasn't planning on leaving, she repositioned the bar in her hand that she had ripped from the rubble in the ceiling, she was ready to attack Goblin.

Goblin fired up his glider but clearly saw I was trying to stop it so he pressed harder into my wrist making my other hand falter. The glider slammed through the front window, straight into May's back sending her soaring forwards. The glider slowled as it got to Goblin, allowing him to jump on and let go of me and Peter. I pushed myself up off the ground with my good hand as Goblin turned the glider once again to face us.

"Peter, Peter, Peter..." He chided lowly. "No good deed goes unpunished." As Goblin was speaking Peter managed to push himself back up and get ready to fight once more. "You can thank me later."

I turned my head towards May seeing her lying face up amongst the rubble, I could see her stomach shakily rising up and down which was a good sign that she was still alive. I heard a click behind me and Peter shout before a round bomb traveled in front of my face. I shouted myself, as I raised my right hand to both cover my face and surround the bomb in a protective purple orb.