Chapter 3 - Awakening

---

Bending at the knee, I brought out my lock pick tool and inserted it into the door to this man's residence. It was on a main street but I wasn't bothered if anyone saw me, the two bodies laying on either side of the door were worthy of more concern. I fiddled with the lock for a few seconds before pulling down on the door handle and pushing it open. Slotting my lock pick back into its place on my belt, I traded it for my pistol. I carefully aimed it through the door and shot a silenced bullet directly through the lens of the camera. That would give me enough time to drag these guys inside before the goons higher up in the skyscraper figure out what happened to their camera.

These guys were heavier than they appeared. It took a little more muscle to pull them inside and out of the public's watchful eye. A part of me was surprised that no one had called the cops on me yet, however it was pitch black outside. I'd chosen a good time to come.

No one else was waiting for me in the lobby, thankfully. So, once the door was closed once more I could make my way down the hall that led to the stairs up the tower. It was highly unlikely that this Kingpin of New York would station himself on the lower levels of his tower. My eyes landed on the sign that indicated the door at the very end of the hall was the one that led to my desired destination. I smiled to myself before directing my eyes to the camera that was staring me down.

I moved down the hall with confidence, not giving a shit if anyone knew I had managed to infiltrate their precious tower. Let them come. Let them try. I leant my shoulder on the stairway door and unholstered my pistol and the sound of a slightly rushed conversation echoing off the concrete walls. One man with a large gun came jogging down the stairs. Narrowing my eyes I let the door swing shut behind me and pulled the trigger. The man instantly crumpled down the stairs. I knelt to the floor so I could see the second man trailing after him, a bullet swiftly finding solace in his chest too.

I stood back up straight and began to make my way to the stairs. I raised my pistol up, scanning to check that no one else was with me. No guns were peaking over the edge to shoot me from high above, so I began to silently scale the stairs. Holding my pistol out in front of me I climbed higher, past the bodies of the two men.

I made it roughly halfway up the stairs, with no other sightings of this man's goons. It left a slightly uneasy feeling in my gut but I tried to pay it no mind. I heard the door behind me swing open and I whipped around as fast as I could, pulling the trigger. I managed to shoot the guy, but that didn't stop him falling onto me. I stumbled back until I hit the railing, my grip on my pistol loosened and my arm flung out over the grand drop. I watched as my pistol fell through the air, landing with a metallic clink at the bottom.

Grunting in frustration, I shoved the heavy brute off of me letting him slink to the ground with a thud. My breathing was coming out in short huffs now. It wasn't that I was incapable of completing this mission without my pistol, it just made it a little bit more difficult and hard on my body.

My internal complaining was cut short by someone wrapping their arms around my waist and physically throwing me through the still open doorway. I skidded on the ground, flipping myself over so I was facing the man with one leg extended out to the side. I flipped my head back, using the hand that was also extended outward to pull my knife off my belt. I spun the blade around in hand so I could use it to stab the guy that had disrupted my thoughts.

I watched him crack his knuckles along with his neck, trying to act intimidating as possible. No one can intimidate a Widow, Dreykov's words, not mine. As the man plastered a smug grin across his lips, I lunged forward, dropping to my knees before his fist could come in contact with my face. Swinging the knife out, I sliced his shins before spinning around and plunging my knife backward so it was buried in his chest. Glancing over my shoulder, I watched his smug grin falter. I twisted the blade before yanking it free, grinning myself as he hunched forward and landed face first on the floor.