Chapter 8 - Post credit scene

---

I dragged my bag behind me as I walked down the familiar hall that led to my cold apartment. I didn't care that I was leaving scratches on the floorboards nor did I care that I was potentially ruining the bottom half of my backpack. My sore eyes fixated on that chipped white door at the end of the hall.

I'd almost made it there safely when the door opposite mine peeled open and out walked my neighbour. I grumbled quietly to myself, and began to swipe at my blotchy cheeks. Although I wasn't thorough, I didn't have the energy to be.

"Oh, hey." The boy greeted me happily with a charming smile on his face.

I didn't respond to him, I just simply continued to drag my back to my door and yanked my keys out of my pocket to unlock the door. I slotted the key in the hole and twisted, giving the door a little push. It creaked open to reveal the dark and damp looking home. Was it too late to live in my sister's fantasy? My sister, who is dead now. As that thought penetrated my brain I gritted my teeth and tossed my backpack into my apartment causing it to crash to the floor with a loud thud.

"Are you, are you okay?" Peter asked from over my shoulder. I briefly flicked my glaze away from the abandoned bag to the side where I could just see him out of the corner of my eye.

"No." I replied in the simplest way that I could. "My sister just died." I told him, why did I tell him? At this point, I didn't much care to find out the answer.

"I'm sorry." He told me somberly. For whatever reason a spike of familiarity clicked in my brain. Why did that happen? And why was the answer floating on my tongue that it wasn't his fault?

"Yeah." Was what I spat out instead. I didn't wait for anything else to be said. I strode into my apartment and slammed the door shut with gusto.

My eyes glanced around the space that was my home. It felt different from when I was last here. It felt cold and unwelcoming before but this was on a whole other level. I let out a sudden sob, dropping to my knees. I placed my head in my hands and let myself cry again, the sound ricocheting off the walls.

"There, there." The voice that spoke to me didn't even startle me. Neither did the feeling of a large hand being placed on my head, gently brushing it back out of my face. "There's no reason to cry. I can help you fulfil your destiny. Help you find your true purpose that was just out of your reach."

At those words I lifted my head slowly. I half expected someone to be standing in front of me, but I was just met with the reflection of myself in my ceiling to floor window. I stared at myself for a few seconds, before my eyes caught the sight of a red, clawed hand combing through my hair.

My eyes didn't have the time to travel further up. A gasp escaped my mouth as images lit up behind my eyes. They flicked behind my eyes within the space of a second and then I was back sitting in my apartment. But the tears had stopped. And this time when I locked eyes with myself in my reflection a smirk crossed my lips.

---