Peter Ballard (001) ~ The Ultimate Betrayal

*I DON'T OWN THIS IMAGE* *CREDIT TO IMAGE OWNER*

Pairing: Peter Ballard x Fem!Reader

Word Count: 4.2k

Warnings: S4 SPOILERS.  Angst.  Mild language.  Descriptions of blood, gore, death, and violence.  Please do not read if any of that may be triggering.

a/n:  This was requested by @ol1veralltheway ,and I hope that I did your request justice!  This actually turned out longer than expected and is a whole ass rollercoaster so buckle up lol.  I  really enjoyed writing this and hope that you all enjoy reading it.  I just want to say thank you to everyone reading my stuff (even my old stuff that I think is absolute hot GARBAGE lol).  I appreciate the comments and likes.  Enjoy!!

§

It started with shy glances here and there. You would be sitting alone in the breakroom, and, across the room, Peter would be staring. He would send you a little smile that barely lifted the corners of his lips and then would look away, leaving you wanting more. Then, walking through the halls with the other orderlies, he would pass you and let his fingers brush against your bare wrist. No words were exchanged for the first few weeks after you started working with Dr. Brenner. Just those sweet moments that left you with a rolling stomach and palpating heart. But then, one day, when you walked into the breakroom, Peter wasn't in his usual spot. Instead, he was sitting like a statue at your table. His bright blue eyes looked at you with anticipation as you stood in the doorway before finally deciding to take a seat. That was the beginning of your secret relationship.

Brenner was very explicit when he hired you as one of his orderlies. There was to be no fraternization between you and the test subjects or any other employee. But you couldn't help yourself. After that first day having lunch with Peter, you were a goner. From the way his smile reached from ear to ear at your every word to the way his laugh sent tingles throughout your body, there was no stopping the blossoming relationship between the two of you. Before long, you were not only sharing lunches but also sneaking into one another's sleeping quarters at night. It wasn't easy, and you had to pay off more than your fair share of guards, but you made do. You spent many nights cuddled up on Peter's small cot, talking about the children.

You loved your job. It wasn't what you thought you signed up for, but you were there for the kids. You loved every single one of them as if they were your own. Day in and day out, you watched as they trained and practiced in the Rainbow Room to impress Dr. Brenner. Because of your love for the children, you grew to have a special liking toward those who seemed weaker. One, in particular, was Eleven. She was young and much smaller than the other kids, yet for some reason, they enjoyed picking on her. You had heard the older kids bullying her on several occasions. There was even one time when you witnessed them pushing her around, and it nearly broke your heart. You had told Peter one night, enveloped in his strong arms.

"It's so sad," you whispered, afraid to speak too loudly, "they wouldn't stop throwing her around. I watched the whole thing, Peter and I couldn't do a damn thing. She's just so much weaker than they are."

He just gave a little squeeze and a small kiss on top of your head.

"I know it's sad, love. But she's not weak. She just...hasn't found her strength yet."

His comment, albeit cryptic, soothed your aching heart enough for the night. But you knew you were going to say something to Eleven.

The following day, you entered the Rainbow Room on a mission. You greeted each child as you walked by. But you were in there for one kid only this time, and she was sitting alone at the Plinko game. You approached the little girl and sat down beside her, crossing your legs. Her eyes never left the red wooden piece as it fell down, bouncing off several pegs before finally landing on a number. Eleven let out an annoyed sigh, then dropped another piece. Your presence clearly didn't have an impact on her. You cleared your throat and forced a wide smile onto your face.