Steve Harrington Imagine- I'm Done Pretending

*I DON'T OWN ANY GIFS POSTED* *CREDITS TO GIF OWNERS*

Here is another imagine requested from my Tumblr! This one took me a while because I really wanted to portray the situation correctly and, obviously, add some fluff lol. I also went a little crazy with it, so it's a little long. But, anyway, here it is and I hope you enjoy it!!

Pairing: Steve Harrington x Reader

Warnings: Mild language and mentions abuse

*If anyone is in an abusive relationship, whether it be spousal or child, please please please get help. No one deserves to be put in that situation and shouldn't have to live in fear. Get the help you need if you are or if you know anybody in this situation.*

Standing in front of the mirror, you frantically applied foundation to the darkening hand print on your cheek. "Shit, shit, shit." You whispered to yourself when you noticed it wasn't working as well as you had planned. Tears welled in your eyes as you dabbed more makeup on the bruise. The sound of a honking horn reminded you of the time. You took one more look at your poor makeup job before grabbing your backpack and heading to the door. Like every other morning, your best friend Steve was sitting in his car waiting for you. At the sight of you, a huge smile grew onto his face. You sent him a weak one back hoping he wouldn't notice anything. "It took you long enough." Steve said sarcastically when you got into the passenger side. You let out a light chuckle, "It takes time to look this good." As Steve pulled out of your driveway, he sent you a small smile. "Don't kid yourself Y/N," he began giving your shoulder a light shove, "you always look that good." You and Steve had known each other since you were babies. Both of your parents went to Hawkins High together and were best friends since their freshman year. Things didn't change when they graduated and decided to make a family and establish their lives in Hawkins. Growing up, the two of you were all each of you had. You spent almost every waking moment together and soon became best friends. Your friendship only grew as the two of you aged. Steve was always there for you and you for him.

Steve pulled into a parking spot near the entrance to the school before killing the engine. You took in a deep breath as you searched the schoolyard. Your stomach fell when you spotted the person you were hoping to avoid. Your boyfriend, Ryan Coleman. Suddenly you were very aware of the covered-up bruise on your cheek. The bruise that he had left there. Tears began to make their way back to your eyes, but you squeezed them away before Steve could see. "Well," you said quickly grabbing your bag, "I guess I'll see you around." You were shutting the car door before Steve could even reply. As you made your way to the school entrance, you could feel your heart racing in your chest. Although you tried your best to walk past Ryan without being seen, he spotted you. "Where do you think you're going?" He growled low in your ear as he tightly grabbed your wrist. You swallowed as you slowly turned to face him. A stern look sat on his face as he stared down at you. "Did you just try to walk by me without saying anything? That's not what good girlfriends do now is it?" He asked still gripping your wrist. You could feel another bruise forming under his hand. "Uh," you stuttered, "N-no, it's not." Ryan gripped a little harder causing you to flinch a little. "Exactly. So, don't try that shit again. Understand me?" He said quiet enough for you to hear and no one else. You bit your bottom lip and nodded unable to create a coherent sentence. His grip tightened even more causing your eyes to tear up again. "I couldn't hear you." He said sternly. You took in a shallow breath, "I understand." Ryan let go of your arm, "We also need to talk about last night so meet me at lunch." Your heart began to beat quickly at the mention of the night before. "Okay." Was all you said before Ryan sauntered back off towards his friends. You stood where he left you for another moment before showing yourself to class.

You went through your first four periods like a robot on autopilot. Your body was in class, but your mind was scrambling with the thought of what Ryan had in store for you. The two of you started dating your sophomore year of high school. He was new and really cute and immediately took an interest in you. You started talking and before you knew it he had officially asked you out. Your relationship was perfect in the beginning complete with cute late-night phone calls and romantic dates. However, about three months into your relationship things began to change. His once loving hands changed to angry abusive ones. The love bites his mouth used to leave all over your body turned into nasty bruises left behind by his closed fists. The sweet nothings he used to whisper into your ears turned into crude slurs that would wreak havoc on your psyche. Buying makeup became a weekly occurrence as did crying yourself to sleep. You were raised better than to stay in an abusive relationship; but, with every superficial apology, you were dragged back under his spell. When the lunch bell finally chimed, you began your slow trek to Ryan's usual spot. As you walked into the lunch room, you were stopped by a soft touch on your forearm. You flinched and quickly turned to face whoever touched you. "Woah," Steve began putting his hands up in defense, "stand down, it's just me." You let out a heavy sigh of relief, "I'm so sorry Steve." He gave you a concerned look, "Are you alright? I saw you this morning with Ryan and you looked a little upset. I just wanted to make sure that you were okay." A warm feeling of appreciation that filled your heart quickly turned frigid when, over Steve's shoulder, you saw Ryan glaring at you. "I, uh, I have to go Steve." You said brushing past him. "Hey!" He shouted causing you to turn back towards him. He walked over and snaked his arm around your shoulders, "Ryan can wait. Come eat with me, like old times." Steve led you towards his table and away from Ryan. As you walked away, you looked over your shoulder to see Ryan angrily glaring at your fleeting figure.