Hᴇ ᴛʀɪᴇᴅ ᴀɴᴅ ꜰᴀɪʟᴇᴅ

𝗪𝗲'𝗹𝗹 𝗯𝗲 𝘁𝗼𝗴𝗲𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗿 𝗳𝗼𝗿𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗿 𝗽𝗮𝗿𝘁 𝟮 (1 out of 2 endings)

Third Person Pov:

Tanjiro had finally managed to escape, or so he thought.

After gaining Inosuke and Zenitsu's trust, Tanjir had been planning his escape. They were fast asleep. Tanjiro had saved up all his energy just for this moment.

He had threw on some winter clothes they had lying in the closet and unlocked the front door with the key he had been searching for.

Now, he was running. Running as fast as he could, as far as he could. He could hear his heart drumming against his rib cage as he took in his surroundings.

Lots and lots of trees and land covered in blankets of snow. He couldn't tell how much time had passed until he heard two voices not too far behind him.

"That son of a bitch! We gave him everything! Love, care, food, shelter, and he wants to throw it all away just to go back to his family! I should kill him."

"You're not killing him. We'll just have to make sure he won't be able to escape anymore. He can't get far with broken legs."

Tanjiro knew who those voices belonged to. He also knew that he was creating a foot trail behind him in the snow. At this rate they'd find him in no time.

He finally made it through the giant forest and came across a frozen lake. If he was careful enough he'd be able to make it across and down hill.

'You've got this. Be fast and careful. The sooner you cross, the sooner you'll be able to see your family.'

'Think of Nezuko, Rokuta, Takeo, Shigeru, and Mom. They'll all be waiting for you.'

Tanjiro tried to mentally and physically prepare himself to cross but it didn't help.

He carefully put one foot on first. Hearing the ice cream slightly below him. He then put the other foot on, hearing the ice crack a tiny bit before balancing himself.

'Shit. Shit. Shit.'

Tanjiro thought as he slowly shuffled himself. Halfway through the ice when a voice startled him. Almost causing him to lose his footing and fall.

"How the fuck are we supposed to get to him now?! One wrong move and all of us could end up breaking the ice!"

Tanjiro froze. He didn't realize that they were that close behind him until they showed up.

He turned slightly, seeing a fuming Inosuke and pale Zenitsu.

"Tanjiro! Get off that ice! You'll fall!" Zenitsu yelled, he sounded very concerned, but Tanjiro wasn't going to fall for that again.

Shit! Shit! Shit! My soul almost jumped out of my body!'

"I'd rather fall then be held back by you two." Tanjiro said, voice shaking as he continued to very, very slowly make his way to the other side.

"Then fall." Inosuke was seething. He walked over to the ice and slammed his foot on it.

The ice cracked more under Tanjiro's feet. He had to stop moving. If he moved any further he'd crack it and sink into icy water.

"What the fuck do you think your doing?! He's going to fall right through!" Zenitsu screeched, trying to shove Inosuke away from the ice, but he wouldn't budge.

"He said he'd rather fall then be with us so," Inosuke pushed Zenitsu away from him and raised his foot. Looking dead at Tanjiro as he slammed his foot down. "Fall."

It was as if time slowed. The ice broke underneath Tanjiro's feet, plunging him into the icy water.

Inosuke watched as he fell in, from the shock Tanjiro had accidentally inhaled the water. He didn't have the strength to pull himself up.

Please! I'm sorry! Please!

Tanjiro closed his eyes as he fell deeper into the water. He couldn't swim up even if he tried.

He could hear people talking but they sounded so far away. The last thing he saw was a body jumping into the water. Hand reaching out for him.

Tanjiro gasped, throwing up the water that was in his body. Throat and eyes stinging as he finally stopped.

He was pulled into a hug. Warmth greeted him as the fog in his head cleared up a little.

"Shit, Tanjiro. Shit." Tanjiro realized that the body he was pulled into was shaking, tears falling from his eyes for a reason unknown to him.

Tanjiro looked up, Zenitsu was sniffling as he held Tanjiro. A blanket pulled around them.

"I-I'm so sorry, Tanjiro. I didn't mean for it to go that far. We were only supposed to bring you back, instead, we almost killed you."

Tanjiro kept silent, hearing the door to the room creak open. Inosuke stood in the doorway, eyes red and hands balled in a fist as he walked over.

Inosuke kneeled next to him as he watched Zenitsu bring Tanjiro away from him, protectively shielding the boy.

"I'm sorry." His eyes were trained on the ground, head hung in shame. "I shouldn't of let my anger get so out of control. When you didn't come back up after some time I got worried. I thought you'd swim back up and come back to us but you didn't and I'm sorry."

Never in Tanjiro's life would he have thought Inosuke even knew the word 'sorry'. Never had he said it.

Tanjiro knew his words were sincere, even if they did have a sick meaning behind them. He watched as tears streamed down his face. Inosuke harshly wiped at them.

Tanjiro didn't show any emotion on his face. All he did was place a cold hand against Inosuke's cheek as he forced his head up.

"Lying isn't going to get you anywhere in life."