Chapter 16

[JESSY'S POV]

Its Tuesday afternoon, the sun is shinning through the clear windows. I'm ready to go home. Today, my dad is supposed to come home. That's what's made my week so long. I've been waiting to see him for a little while now. The bell rings and I hand in my test on my way out the door. Once I get to my locker, I place all my homework into my black schoolbag. I feel a hand brush over my bum and I turn around right away, wondering who it is. I spot Harry not to far away, leaving with a smirk on his face. It makes me smile. Josh taps on my shoulder and I jump.

"Ok, what was that" Josh asks with a big smile on his face.

"Nothing" I laugh. He raises a brow at me.

"I guess you don't kiss and tell" Josh winks at me and goes to his locker. I grab everything I need from my locker, go outside and plug my earphones into my phone. Going through my playlist, I choose the scientist by Coldplay.

"Hey." Harry interrupts my thoughts.

"Hey!" I say, pulling my earphones out.

"Do you want me to drive you home?"

"Sure" I agree and we get into his red car.

"My dad's coming home today." I tell him.

"Your dad?" He asks.

"Ya, he goes business trips pretty often."

"Are you excited to see him?" Harry asks me.

"Ya." I say.

"What about your sister? When does she come home?" I ask him.

"Oh umm, not for another little while..." He answers, pursing his lips.

"Are you excited to see her?" I return the question.

"Ya, I can't wait to get to see her again." He says, smiling.

"Hey, what's that?" He asks, pointing to a scar on my ankle.

"Oh nothing, just an old scar." I answer, tugging my pants lower. When we get to my house, Harry drops me off. As I step out of the car, I wave goodbye to Harry and quickly walk my way up the front steps.I open the front door, I take a seat on a little bench in the entrance and take my shoes off. All of a sudden, I could hear shouting upstairs. My mom and dad got into fights quite often... I take a seat on my couch in the living room, waiting for them to calm down. I was kind of hoping that I would come home to my dad anxiously waiting around to see me. As I make my way to the kitchen to get a snack and I see an old bottle of scotch opened... Only my fathers' favourite. My dad didn't drink that often, like everyday often, but still quite a lot. I close the bottle, placing it back into the kitchen cabinet, where it belonged. Quietly going up the stairs, I hear something shatter. I quickly pick up my speed, running into their room. When my father drinks, he could sometimes get aggressive and angry, fast. Faster than usual. I open the bedroom door and my father looks like a mess. His hair is messy, eyes hang low and his face looks sloppy. He doesn't even turn to look at me. My mother is sitting in a corner, crouched down with her hands surrounding her head. I can hear her cry. My father, he's standing just a few feet in front with his back facing me. He hasn't yet realized that his daughter is in the room too. My father's hands are clenched together tight, his nails digging into his own skin. To my right is one of my mom's old pottery, broken into pieces, scattered over the hardwood floor.

"Dad?" I ask.

My mother looks up at me, deep into my eyes, hers are filled with fear, terror. My father takes his time to turn around and look at me. He looks as if he's confused to see me.

"Honey, go downstairs ok? Go to a friend's house maybe? Call Liv." My mother says with her shaken voice.

"Please"

I exit the room. My dad doesn't always get this aggressive... Breaking things and stuff. I can feel my eyes fill with water but I'm trying to hold back my fearful tears. I go through my contacts and click on Harry to call him.

"Hello?" He says. My voice is shaken up and I have trouble letting my words out. I don't want him to hear me like this.

"Jess?" He asks.

"Harry..?"

"Jess is everything ok? What happened?" Harry asks me, worried.

"Can you come pick me up?"

"Ya I'm on my way, stay there!" He tells me. We stay on the phone for a few minutes until I see him down my street. I quickly pull on my shoes and run out my door and down my front steps. The clouds are covering the sun now and it's raining hard. I squint my eyes while I make my way to his car. I step into it and let out a breath. He isn't driving.

"Drive." I tell him in a slow and calm voice. He looks down at my face concerned. My eyes shut tightly.

"Please" I beg him. Harry starts the car again and begins to drive. He moves his hand to turn on the heat and places his hand on my thigh.

"What's happening?" He asks. I put my hand on top of his and lean my head against the car window, letting out sob. I tighten my grip on his hand and he does the same onto my thigh.