Chapter 27

JESSYS POV

After we eat supper we head back to his room. It was a great time and I love his mom. She seems so sweet and genuine. We laughed a bunch.

"I have to tell you something" Harry says. Uh oh...

"My sister isn't away, she died" Oh...

My head falls onto his shoulder and we both sit there.

How did it happenI ask him.

"Well, when she was 17, she was diagnosed with cancer, it was her second time but more serious now. She basically lived at the hospital and I only saw her a few times a week since I had school. I was 14 so I was worried about my sister, I knew what was going on. My mother would tell me every night that she was going to be ok and that we had to pray for her safety. And then one day, the doctors said we could bring her home. I thought it was a good thing but no, it was because they knew she wasn't going to last much longer. She was in palliative care. Her hair was gone, she was always vomiting but she always had her spirit up. She was always in a lot of pain, extremely tired and lost a bunch of weight. Then, one day my mother and I left grocery shopping. We decided to buy her favourite candy. They were these rare circular candies that were blue and red dipped in sugar. We called them sugar bombs. So, when my mother and I came home, there she was on her bed, eyes closed."

Harry takes a pause to catch his breathe, he looks torn inside. His eyes are dripping tears but he still manages to continue his story.

"I tried to wake her up, I was first in the room with the candies and her favourite movie that we were going to watch together as a family, 'A Walk to Remember'. That night was the hardest day of my life. That's when I changed, after that I was a bad kid at school, I didn't date girls I just used them, my grades went down... Anyways the next morning my mother found a crumpled paper on the floor. It was a letter from Amanda."

Harry sobs once more. He stands up and walks to his drawer, pulling out a crumpled paper.

"Read it." He says.

"Are you sure?" I ask him.

Harry nods and i begin reading.

•••

Dear Harry,

I never thought leaving you would be this hard. I always imagined us together in 30 years at those family Christmas diners with mom screaming at us the whole time, telling us we burnt the chicken or the potatoes are overcooked cause in reality, its us.

Harry, I love you and these past few months are where we've connected the most. I'm so sorry I had to leave so early. To be honest with you, I thought I would win this battle.

Ill miss you like hell but I will always be watching over you like a big sister does. Ill always remember those late nights we stayed up talking and sneaking around the house, making sure mum wouldn't hear us or how when I was sad you'd say 'I'll be right back!' And I'd look out the window to see you running in the streets, pretending I didn't know where you were going and then a few minutes later I would hear a knock at my bedroom door and there you were, the little boy I loved the most with the biggest heart bringing me my sugar bombs. Harry, you were my first love, you made my expectations of guys so high.

When mom announced that she was pregnant I was only 3 but I knew a little brother would be the best gift ever. Since dad wasn't ever with us, I had you. I know you will grow to be the perfect man and you will have a beautiful wife and a beautiful wedding that I promise to attend. I will be with you every step of the way. I promise. God brought me here for a reason and there's no smore important reason than looking over my little brother. You will do great things to this world.

Harry, I ask you to do me a few favours. First: Make sure mum is ok and make sure you are too. Take good care of each other and appreciate what you have. Second: On March 12th celebrate my birthday with me. Buy some sugar bombs too. Third: When you meet the girl of your dreams, appreciate her and don't be a jack asss like most of the guys are. Fourth: Checkout Matt for me. I love that boy. Visit him sometimes too, spend time together and make sure he finds somebody new to love. I love you Harry and I miss you already...

-Amanda