Chapter 24

JESSYS POV

"I've never told anyone about this Harry" I start. He continues to play in my hair.

My dad was never really around after I turned about 8, that's when he really kind of left home. He would leave for months, we wouldn't get any news from him until one day he needed money for drugs, alcohol... and that's when he comes back home. When all his money is wasted on his addiction... We tried to get him help and set him up for meetings to help him overcome his addiction. He was even hospitalized a couple times because of overdose. I remember being 10 years old, getting ready for school and when I wan into the washroom, he was laying there on the floor with my mothers' medication for after a surgery she had. He took too many. I hugged him and cried, I thought he was dead. I was too young to be experiencing things like that. I had screamed for my mom, we called an ambulance and once they brought him to the hospital, he was ok. He started to get better, going to meetings, spending more time at home with us but that just lasted a couple months until the same this happened again. He moved away, found a new girlfriend and they were bad for each other, this tore my mother apart. They were still married then. My parents even went to court, my mother wanted full custody of me but that didn't work out. One of two weekends had to be spent with my dad and his new girlfriend. I was still young, had trouble understanding what was really going on. When I turned 13, my mother had full custody of me. My father wouldn't come get me or wouldn't be home when I was supposed to be with him, it wasn't a safe environment for me. "