Chapter 20

[JESSY'S POV]

After my long, hot shower, I pull a hoodie over my head and pull up my underwear. My eyes have bags under them from my eventful day. Exiting my bathroom, I go meet my mother in her bed. The room is hot and humid. I could see the shadow of my mother covering a little section of her king-sized bed. As I crawl in beside her, I lift the comforter over her cold shoulders, keeping her warm. My mother is used to sleeping alone but she also loved the company and I knew she missed mine. I decide to text Harry before going to bed,

----------------------------------

Jessy: Goodnight Harry, I'm sorry for today, see you tomorrow xx

Harry: I'm sorry too, goodnight Jessy. Sleep well

----------------------------------

About halfway through the night I could feel my mother tossing and turning. Sitting up, I look over at her. My mother's eyes are shut closed, but her body is flinching.

"Mom I say. She doesn't respond. She often had nightmares right after my father would leave for his business trips. Missing him maybe? How could she possibly miss a man who's so miserable to her? My mother is silently mumbling words. I place my hand on her shoulder, slightly shaking her.

"Mom!" I scream louder and she doesn't seem to stop. In a second, she sits up and has her arms around my shoulders. She's hot and sweaty. As we lay there, her body is slouched over mine. I hug her.

"I'm sorry baby..." she cries into my shoulder. I grab her tighter, pulling her closer, not wanting her to blame all of this on herself. She doesn't deserve any of what she has been going through with my father these past few years. Neither did I. I look at the time and its already 3:30, its going by so slow and I can't sleep. I could see on the ceiling of the dark room, bright reflections of headlights from the cars out on the streets. Every few minutes a new one would come along. I start to count them. In about half an hour I count 16 cars pass by. Not that its important...

When morning came, my mother woke me up with prepared toasts waiting for me in my bedroom. They had the perfect amount of butter, evenly spread. My clothes for the day are already spread out, blue jeans and a simple a red top. I decide to tie my hair up in a messy bun. I have to admit, I'm nervous to see Harry... And Jimmy. What if he told him? I know Harry and I will have to talk abut it. I know I overreacted yesterday. I was just having a tough day and the littlest thing would break me. As I reach my locker, I grab my books and head to math class, expecting to see Harry there. I could feel my stomach turning. I have to admit, I am scared. I feel a little push on my shoulder as I'm walking through the halls. As I slightly turn my head to the right, behind me is an angry curly brown-haired boy looking straight into my eyes. I feel a bulge in my throat growing, I know I can't control my emotions and that I'll start crying any minute now. Does he know? Did Jimmy tell him? Harry takes two big steps in front of me and opens the door to the janitors' room. My hands and arms are becoming weak from holding my books and my nervousness is overpowering me. He's clenching his teeth, I could tell. Harry only does this when he's mad and I could see his muscle near his cheek bone is moving from tight tension. Harry places his long fingers on my shoulder leading me into the small room.

"Harry? What are you doing?" I say shrugging my shoulder, attempting to get his hand off. Once were both inside the room, he lets go of me, closing the door behind him.

"Harry, I'm sorry..." I say looking at my feet.

"Oh, so your sorry?" He begins, taking a breath. His voice is becoming louder and louder.

"Jess, if you don't give a damn about me just say it!" He knocks his hand on one of the ledges on the wall, making it shake. I look up at him, my eyes are locked onto his.

"Harry, I do. Please stop, you're scaring me"

Harry rips my books out from my sweaty hands, dropping them on the floor by our feet. I'm scared. I don't know if his intentions are good or bad.

"Harry...?" I stutter. Is this going to be like what happened in my dream? He grips both of his hands on each of my shoulders and his eyes travel down my body, quickly. As our eyes connect again for the second time, they stay there. He takes a step closer, making me stepback. His hands grab the material on my shirt, clumping it in his hands. His nose flares as he lets out a breath. Quickly, he lets go of me to turn around, looking the other way.

"FÜCK JESSY!" Harry shouts, slamming his hand on the cement wall. His head is resting against the door frame along with his arms. The side of his face turns, allowing me to see only one half. Harry soon lifts his hand to shut the light switch off.

Right that instant, the room becomes dark, there's not even a shadow.