Chapter 31 - Forging an Ally

Days had passed and Nomi had lost all sense of how long she had been Vader's prisoner. She got clean clothes at a regular base and her meals delivered in her cell. Vader didn't bother her with his presence since the incident where he had almost killed her. It seemed as if he would avoid her.

But this day was different, since Barakhkha entered her cell without the usual tray of food.
"My master wants to see you," the guard said and waited patiently for Nomi to comply.
The Rogue Squadron pilot rose from the bedstead, stretched and yawned. She hadn't slept well. The whole situation and her pregnancy took its toll on her. After she straightened the coverall, she followed the alien guard out of the cell.
When they made their way to the room where Vader would be waiting for her, Nomi saw stormtroopers in the hallways. Until now there were only some Royal Guards around. She wondered why there were suddenly so many stormtroopers. These troops limited her odds of escape immensely. Her heart sank.

Finally they reached the room where the table was as usual laid for one person only. But this time there wasn't a flask with the medicine. Nomi sat down and watched Vader expectantly. She was sure that there must be a reason why he wanted to see her.
"There is no need for the medicine anymore, Lieutenant. The time of morning sickness should be over now," the Dark Lord said with his deep voice.
Nomi took the first bite, chewed it slowly and downed it with some water. Vader was right, this time there wasn't any nausea. It didn't take long and she had finished her meal.
The Dark Lord had watched her the whole time without any word, only his mechanical breathing was heard.
"I have to leave on the Emperor's order. There is an important project which progress is stalled. His Majesty deems that my presence will bring the work back on schedule," he said with a hint of satisfaction in his voice and leaned back on his chair. "With my absence, Barakhkha and the Royal Guards wouldn't be enough to make sure that you wouldn't escape, Lieutenant. Therefore I ordered a stormtrooper squad for reinforcement. The troopers have strict orders to kill you if you try to escape or if there is a rescue attempt."
Nomi was horrified at what she had just heard and stared at the Dark Lord in disbelief. It couldn't be, she had to have misunderstood something.
"But what about your ambitious plans? If I die my unborn children will die as well," the young woman responded. "You said you want to train them to become Dark Jedi. I can't understand why you have changed your mind."
She glanced sideways at Barakhkha, who was silently standing near the door. The alien seemed to be horrified as well, as far as she could read by his expression. Then she turned her attention back to Vader.
"I accept this loss, if it can prevent you and your children from serving the Rebellion should you escape. If I can't have your children, then no one should have them," he said with a firm voice. "Bring her back to her cell, Barakhkha."
The guard nodded his head slightly and approached the prisoner.
"Come," he commanded.
Nomi rose and followed the alien out of the room. On their way back to the cell they saw more and more stormtroopers. It must have been more than only one squad as the Dark Lord had claimed.

When they entered the cell block, Nomi noticed troopers in the hallway. Two of them stood at the door of her cell. Barakhkha pushed the buttons on the access panel and the door opened with the usual hiss. The troopers stood there unmoving as the young woman entered the cell. A fraction of a second later the door slammed shut and Nomi was alone with all her fears. She was still in shock about what Vader had said. She sat down on the bedstead and buried her head in her hands. All her hopes were destroyed. Even if a rescue party would find her, how could they hold their own against such superior numbers? And even if they manage to do this, they would never reach her in time. As soon as the troopers standing guard at her cell would hear battle noise, they would enter the cell and kill her as Lord Vader had tasked them to do.
Her musing was interrupted by the noise of a launching shuttle. So Vader was on the way to wherever the Emperor had sent him.

Hours had passed and Nomi had almost fallen asleep when Barakhkha entered her cell, carrying the usual tray with food. But this time he didn't simply set the tray on the bedstead and walked over to the wall to watch her eating, as he always did. This time he sat down at her site. The young woman looked at him in astonishment.
"Tell me about the Rebellion and why you fight against the Empire," he asked in a subdued voice, so nobody would be able to eavesdrop on him. The Noghri was well aware that he was about to betray his master.
Nomi nodded her head, seeing an option to be able to engage him for joining the Alliance. With a likewise subdued voice she began to tell him about the Ghorman Massacre, the annihilation of Alderaan and all the other atrocities committed by the Empire, she had learned about after joining the Alliance. Official sources like the Holonet News either didn't report about those incidents or gave false information to keep the people of the galaxy in the dark and in line.
When she had finished, a thoughtful Barakhkha was sitting at her side. It took a long time until he finally spoke.
"I want to join the Alliance, Lieutenant. My people and I have served the Empire for too long. The Emperor's New Order is wrong. I realized this because of what you just told me. Looking in your eyes I see that you told the truth."
He stood up, took the tray and turned to leave, but Nomi took his hand and stopped him.
"You can call me Nomi, if we're alone, Barakhkha. You mustn't decide now if you will join."
The Noghri gave her a toothy smile and left.

When the Noghri came the next time with food, he sat down at her side again and whispered in her ear, so nobody else could hear what he had to say.
"I will think about an escape plan, Nomi. It's important for the entire galaxy that you and your children don't remain in the hands of the Empire."
"Thank you, Barakhkha. You have no idea what this means for me," she answered with a smile.
It seemed as if she had forged an ally and a new member for the Alliance.