Chapter 39 - Light and Shade

It was at midday when Nomi woke up. When she felt for Dash she noticed that his side of the bed was unoccupied and cold already. He must have stood up very early and she wondered why he didn't wake her.
She would be in big trouble since a combat training was scheduled where she was supposed to take part in.

The young woman crawled out of bed, walked over to the bathroom, took a quick shower and dressed. Then she hurried to the door, opened it and almost bumped into Dash, who stood there, carrying a tray with two steaming bowls.
"Hello, Darling. I hope you slept well and I thought you might be hungry. Here's some Dewback stew," the pilot said and entered their common quarters.
Nomi followed him after she closed the door and looked angrily at her future husband.
"Why haven't you woken me, Dash?" She asked her arms akimbo. "Because of you I missed combat training and will be in trouble."
With a smile Rendar set the bowls on the table and set the tray aside.
"Sit down and eat. There is no need to worry. You are on leave for 1 standard week."
He sat down and began to dig in his food.
"Who said that I want to be on leave, Dash?"
Nomi sat down as well and realized how hungry she was. She began to eat. The stew tasted good and it didn't take long until she had finished the bowl. She leaned back on the chair and put her hands over the bump where the triplets were just moving.
"With every day you look more beautiful, Honey," Dash said and looked at her lovingly.
The young woman chuckled.
"You disregard the facts, Darling. If this continues the day is near where I don't fit in my X-wing any longer."
Dash Rendar grinned and took a sip of water.
"But after giving birth to them you will be like before, Love. And now I have a surprise for you. Wedge told me about, when I was on the way to you," he said and stood up, reaching out with his hand.
Nomi took his hand, stood up and followed him out of the quarters.

When they reached Home One's mess hall a smile lit up Nomi's face, as she saw Leia, Lando Calrissian, Chewbacca and Han Solo sitting there around a table. So they had finally managed to rescue Solo from the clutches of Jabba the Hutt.
The young pilot let go of Dash's hand and ran laughing towards the group.
"You actually did it, Leia!" She shouted, ran over to the table and hugged her friend, who stood up. "I'm so happy for you. But...where is Luke?"
Nomi looked around searching for her childhood friend.
"Luke has, after he had helped to free Han, separated from us to visit an old friend. He will surely come to us soon, Nomi," the princess answered and then held her at arm's length to look at her closer. It didn't take long and the little bump caught her eye and she smiled at the young woman.
"You are pregnant...congratulations. When are you due?"
"Approximately in 4 months. The triplets will be Force sensitive," she said and cast a glance at Dash who had approached them.
Princess Leia hardly believed her eyes as she saw the former mercenary.
"Dash Rendar? Luke and I believed you dead, killed in the skyhook explosion," she said surprised.
Dash gave a lopsided grin and sat down, pulling Nomi on his lap.
"As you see, you were mistaken, Your Highness. I'm very alive and looking forward to the babies," he said, kissed Nomi's neck and put his hand on her stomach.
Chewbacca let out a noise which could count as a laugh and Han Solo gave a wide grin, as he leaned back on his seat and folded his arms behind his head.
"I'm curious. How have you managed to free Han," Nomi asked, while she caressed her future husband's hand.
Princess Leia and Lando Calrissian took turns in telling about Luke's plan and how they managed to infiltrate Jabba's Palace on Tatooine.
Nomi listened intently and asked questions from time to time.
When they had finished their report, Leia looked at the couple sitting in front of her.
"And how were you doing during our absence, Nomi?"
The young woman was startled since she hadn't expected such a question. What should she say? She wasn't ready to speak about her time of imprisonment. Nomi felt tears running down her cheeks and she shook her head.
Leia was shocked about her friend's reaction to a simple question. Quizzically she looked at Dash who tried to calm Nomi down.
"Nomi has been through a lot. Maybe one day she will be able to talk about it, Your Highness," the Rogue Squadron pilot answered the princess.
"Please call me Leia. My title means nothing to me with my planet and most of my people gone," she hesitated for a fraction of a second before she continued. "I understand, since I felt the same way after my imprisonment on the Death Star. It took me a long time to process the experiences."
"I can imagine this, Leia," Dash answered and stood up while holding Nomi in his arms. "I think it's better to bring Nomi in our quarters."
Leia nodded her head.

Dash left the mess hall carrying Nomi in his arms, ignoring the curious glances of those he passed. When they reached their quarters, he set his fiancée down and entered the access code. The door opened with the usual hiss and Dash picked up the love of his life and carried her in. Inside he walked over to the small table and sat down on one of the chairs, still holding her.
"Why didn't you tell Leia what happened to you, Darling?" He asked, wiping her tears.
"I'm not ready to do this, Dash. It wasn't only because of me. I didn't want to reopen old sores if it comes to Leia," she answered silently and gave him a kiss, before he was able to ask more.
This way it became clear to Dash Rendar that Nomi didn't want to tell him more.