Chapter 51 - Meeting the Superiors

It was early in the morning when Nomi and Dash made their way to the base's command center to report in.

The air was muggy, it was drizzling and thickfog wafted over the swamp. Both pilots walked cautiously as they were unfamiliarwith the area.
Still, it didn't take long for them to arrive at their destination.
As they entered, they saw Admiral Ackbar and General Madine standing at a holotable, studying the projection of a planet. But before either Nomi or Dashcould determine which planet it was, the admiral disabled the holoprojector andthe projection vanished.
The Mon Calamari turned his attention to the two pilots.
"Lieutenant Darklighter, Sergeant Rendar, I'm glad you're both back," he said,crossing his arms over his chest. "Is there anything you need to report?"
"There is nothing to report, Sir, except that our triplets have been born," Nomiand Dash said almost in unison.
"Congratulations on that," the admiral replied.
"Congratulations," General Madine said with a smile.
"If there's nothing else, you're both dismissed," Ackbar finally said, turningback to the holoprojector.

Nomi breathed a sigh of relief when it seemed that their adventure at theSmuggler's Moon hadn't reached their superiors.
But she was wrong about that. Nomi and her husband had just exited the commandcenter when General Madine followed them.
"Lieutenant Darklighter!" The general shouted.
Nomi stopped and glanced at Dash, who shrugged. The Rogue Squadron pilot had noidea why the general had followed them and why he wanted to speak to his wife.
"I'll see you later, honey," he said and continued to their quarters.
The young woman looked expectantly at the approaching general.
"Yes, General?"
It was still drizzling and Nomi briefly wondered why he wasn't talking to herwhen they were in the command center.
Madine looked at her with a serious expression.
"I've heard rumors about an incident at Nar Shaddaa, Lieutenant," he began,carefully observing the young woman standing in front of him. "Imperial forceswere attacking the Smuggler's Moon. The smugglers are said to have beensupported in defense by two members of Rogue Squadron."
The general didn't notice any reaction from the pilot and continued.
"You and your husband were, if I'm not mistaken, in the Corellian sector of NarShaddaa at that very time."
Nomi wondered how Madine had found out about this. Only the truth helped now.
"Yes, my husband and I were in the Corellian sector of Nar Shaddaa at the timeof the Imperial assault, Sir. I was very weakened by the birth of my childrenand it wasn't possible for us to return to Endor. We had found shelter withfriends. As you know, Dash and I were smugglers ourselves before joining theAlliance. When the Imps attacked, it was a point of honor for us to support ourfriends in defense. Unfortunately, the Imps had the upper hand and we narrowlyescaped."
Now that it was out, Nomi was pretty sure she and Dash would be expelled fromRogue Squadron.
"It is good that you told the truth, Lieutenant Darklighter. The destruction ofthe Star Destroyer Empire's Fist borethe hallmark of Dash Rendar."
A smile suddenly lit up the general's normally serious face.
"Even though you knew what was at stake for you, you both supported yourfriends and didn't abandon them as some would have done. I spoke to AdmiralAckbar prior to your arrival, and he agreed that you and your husband shouldremain in Rogue Squadron. We are sure you both have the same loyalty to theAlliance that you showed to your smuggler friends on Nar Shaddaa. Dismissed,Lieutenant Darklighter."
The general turned and walked back into the relative warmth of the commandcenter, leaving the Rogue Squadron pilot in the mists of the Dagobah swamps.

Nomi was relieved that even Admiral Ackbar tolerated their actions at NarShaddaa. She resumed her pace, glad the drizzle had stopped.
When Nomi entered their quarters, Dash looked at her expectantly. He had pacedthe living room impatiently while waiting for his wife to return. The tripletsslept in the crate, undisturbed by their father's worries.
"What did Madine want?" He asked after Nomi had entered and closed the door.
"Oh, he just wanted to talk about our little adventure at Nar Shaddaa," hiswife replied with a rather cheerful tone.
Dash stared at her, clenching and unclenching his fists. He couldn't believethe woman he loved was taking this so lightly. It was about their existence asmembers of Rogue Squadron.
"Nomi, do you realize that we could lose everything we've built?"
His wife smiled at him before kissing him.
"Calm down, darling, everything's fine. We stay in Rogue Squadron. Indirectly,we were even praised for our behavior by General Madine and Admiral Ackbar."
Relieved, Dash hugged Nomi and kissed her.
At the same moment they heard a knock on the door. Before they could react,Wedge Antilles stepped in.
Dash let go of his wife and turned to the commander.
"Hello, Wedge," he said, frowning, none too happy about being interrupted.
Antilles ignored the frown.
"Hello Nomi, hello Dash. Have you both forgotten about the combat drills?"
It was Nomi who answered the commander's question.
"Of course we haven't forgotten, Wedge. We were delayed by General Madine andAdmiral Ackbar."
Her friend looked at her questioningly.
"They heard about Nar Shaddaa and Madine wanted to talk to me about it."
"You were only talking about the incident at Nar Shaddaa? And I thought hetalked to you about your promotions too."
"They want to promote us?" Dash Rendar asked, wrapping his arm around hiswife's waist.
"Yes, at Mon Mothma's suggestion, you will be promoted to Lieutenant and Nomito Captain. Hopefully, that's not irrelevant after your Smuggler's Moon escapade.But now, we have to go."

The combat drill was routine and when it was over, they landed their X-wings inthe base hangar. There they were awaited by General Madine.
As they shut down the engines and climbed out of their fighters, the generalapproached them.
"Lieutenant Rendar, Captain Darklighter. It gives me particular pleasure tocongratulate you both on your promotion. I can say that you really deserve it."
"Thank you, General," Nomi replied, removing her helmet.
The young woman glanced at her husband, who was also taking off his helmet. Butinstead of thanking the general as well, he reverted back to his old ways.
"I take it we're going to earn more credits now, General? After all, we'll soonhave four children to feed."
Madine looked at him and frowned, not expecting such a reaction from the pilot.
"Have you ever heard of idealism, Lieutenant Rendar? And why are you talkingabout four children?"
Before her husband could make things worse, Nomi took over.
"With all due respect, General, idealism can't be eaten," she said, placing herfree hand soothingly on Dash's arm. "I'm expecting another child, sir. Asalways, I will do my duty in Rogue Squadron for as long as possible. Do I needto remind you that I took part in the attack on the second Death Star when Iwas seven months pregnant?"
"No, of course not, I remember it very well. Yourperformance was remarkable," he hesitated before continuing. "I'm aware thatyou can't use ration bars or military gear for your children, Captain. I'll seewhat I can do for you."
General Madine nodded curtly, turned and left the hangar.

When the general was out of earshot, Nomi winked at her husband.
"You see, it's not what you say, but how you say it, darling," she smiled,taking Dash's hand. "Let's go to our quarters, the triplets will be hungry."