Chapter 96 - A bad Surprise

Some time ago, the members of Rogue Squadron set out to capture Ysanne Isard and her accomplice Erisi Dlarit. Nomi and Dash waited for news of the mission's success or failure, but there was none yet.
As far as the situation on the capital planet was concerned, there was no improvement. Coruscant's alien population was still wiped out by the Krytos plague.

Nomi hadn't entered the throne room since the night Dash mourned his grandfather. As soon as she got close she felt uncomfortable. The shadows of the Emperor's dark presence were too strong in this place.
The Jedi became restless, unable to sit idle in the safety of the Imperial Palace. She longed for action.
Nomi was sitting in the living room when her husband returned from a visit to the city.
"What's the situation, Dash?"
He went to a small table, poured himself a drink and took a sip before answering his wife's question.
"The situation is dire, Nomi. The aliens are dying by the thousands. If we don't get enough bacta to treat them... I don't know what will happen."
His wife had expected nothing less and had made a decision while Dash was away.
"I want to go into the city. Maybe I can help, Dash."
When her husband heard this he almost choked on his drink.
"No, Nomi, that's far too dangerous," he was finally able to answer.
"Why should it be dangerous? The Krytos virus only affects aliens. I can't get infected."
"You've no idea what's going on out there, darling. The mood can change at any moment and it will be dangerous for every Alliance member. I don't want you to be caught in the middle."
Dash took another sip of his drink and sat down across from his wife.
"Please, Dash, let me go. I feel like I'm needed out there."
Rendar looked at her skeptically.
"Don't tell me this is one of your crazy Jedi ideas."
"As a Jedi, I take responsibility for others. I can't escape responsibility," Nomi replied, smiling.
Dash shrugged.
"All right then. Go if you have to."
She rose and went to change her clothes. As she came out of the bedroom, she hooked the lightsaber to her belt.
Seeing this, Dash raised an eyebrow.
"Don't you want to take a blaster?"
"No, Dash. A Jedi only needs the lightsaber as a weapon. Don't be afraid for me. I'll be ok. The Force is with me, have you forgotten?"
"I didn't forget that."
Dash stood up and kissed his wife. His kiss tasted of the Corellian brandy he'd just drunk.
"Can I go with you?"
Nomi shook her head.
"I've to go alone. They will trust me as a Jedi. But they wouldn't trust me if an Alliance officer accompanied me. Take care of our children until I get back."
Her husband tenderly stroked her cheek.
"Come back soon, Nomi. I would really prefer it if I accompanied you."
Nomi smiled at her husband before walking to the door and leaving.

As soon as the Jedi left the protective walls of the former Imperial Palace, she was confronted with the harsh reality.
The misery on the streets of Coruscant was unimaginable. Many houses stood empty, where the Krytos plague had killed the residents.
The further Nomi got into the city, the more she came to the realization that her skills weren't enough to help. Only a fully trained Jedi healer would have been able to do this.
She was just turning the corner when she suddenly sensed danger.
The Jedi looked around carefully and spotted the pursuers, although they tried to hide from her. There were twelve men, dressed in black hooded cloaks.
Nomi went down a side street and mentally cursed when she found herself at a dead end. Her pursuers were closing in and there was no way out for her. She was trapped.
"Capture the woman and be careful because she is carrying a lightsaber," Nomi heard the man who had to be the leader. "Set your blasters to stun mode. Lord Bel-Baal wants her alive."
The young woman thought she had misheard. It couldn't be. Lord Bel-Baal, her father, was dead. She had seen him die on Algarian. But she didn't have time to think about it for long as her opponents advanced.
Nomi unhooked her lightsaber, activated it, and the red blade came to life with a hiss. She then assumed a fighting stance and reached out with the Force to discern the men's intentions. The first one prepared to shoot at her and she sensed that he would try to hit her on the left side. Without hesitation, she raised her lightsaber to deflect the shot. Not a moment too soon. The next shot came quickly and was aimed at her right side. She also deflected the shot.
But then the shots came in quicker succession and she had trouble blocking them. The men moved forward unstoppably.
Nomi was beginning to regret not exercising as often as Luke recommended over the past few weeks. She backed away until her back was literally against the wall.
"Come on, let's put an end to this. We fire at her at the same time," she heard the leader. "Then we will see if she can still deflect the shots."
The Jedi did her best, but she felt her strength weakening. A stun shot hit its target and she fell to the ground, dropping her lightsaber.
"Good shot. Lord Bel-Baal will be pleased."
The last thing Nomi noticed before she lost consciousness was the tip of the leader's boot as he kicked her in the ribs.