Chapter 44 - Victory Celebration

The next afternoon Rogue Squadron flew to the forest moon where the victory celebration would take place in the evening.
When landed on a clearing, little furry aliens were coming out of the underbrush and encircled the X-wings. They were followed by Princess Leia, who stood there with a big smile on her face, and C-3PO.
Dash jumped down from his fighter and walked over to Nomi's X-wing to help his pregnant fiancée to leave it. During the battle she did very well, but it became increasingly apparent that she couldn't fly any longer. For the time being, the Battle of Endor would be the last she had fought.
The young woman smiled at her husband-to-be when he supported her as she exited the cockpit and slid down the hull, as there was no ladder to climb down. Dash held her tight so she didn't fall and was glad when she set foot on the forest ground.
The furry aliens were watching and when one of them pointed to Nomi's pregnant belly they started chattering excitedly.

Seeing that there wasn't any danger, as Leia and Threepio were nearby, the Rogue Squadron pilots approached the group. Before the princess was able to say anything the golden protocol droid spoke up.
"May I introduce? The new allies of the Alliance to restore the Republic," he said in his accented way of speaking, pointing at the furry aliens. "They call themselves Ewoks and played a vital role in our victory. It's fair to say that..."
Leia placed a hand on the droid's vocabulator before he was able to deliver a lengthy discourse.
"Thank you, Threepio. I think that's enough information for our friends," she said, winking at the assembled pilots.
"Leia is right about this, Goldenrod," they heard Han Solo who entered the clearing behind the princess, followed by his faithful companion, who let out a roaring Wookiee laugh.
"C'mon, let's go to their village. It's not far from here. The others are waiting already." Solo said and entered the forest.

It wasn't long before they reached the village nestled in the trees. The huts stood on wooden platforms connected with wooden bridges and catwalks.
Everyone was busy preparing for the celebration, but Leia and Han took the time to tell their friends about their mission that almost failed. With the help of the Ewoks, who had proved themselves brave warriors, they finally managed to blow up the shield generator.
As Dash, Wedge and Han left to prepare for the wedding that would take place before the victory celebration, Leia pulled Nomi aside.
Together they sat down on a tree trunk and the pilot looked at her friend expectantly.
"I have a big surprise for you," the princess began with a big smile. "Luke is my twin brother. He told me this before he left to confront Vader. Even if he was onboard the Death Star, I can feel that he is alive."
"This is indeed a big surprise, Leia," the young woman replied, hugging her friend. But at the same time she wondered if Luke had also told her who their father was. If not, it wasn't Nomi's task to tell her.

At nightfall the members of Rogue Squadron gathered in the clearing for Nomi and Dash's wedding. They had formed a lane leading to Mon Mothma who would marry the two lovers, before leaving the forest moon. Nomi and Dash were well aware about the honor given to them.
In the dim light of many bonfires Dash was waiting for his fiancée. He was nervous as he had never been before. Expectantly he looked in the direction from which Nomi would appear. Then she came, led by her brother who acted as a substitute for their father. Slowly they walked down the lane amid the applause of their comrades. Dash smiled seeing his beautiful bride who wore her pilot's coverall and flowers in her long red hair.
Gavin placed Nomi's hand in Dash's hand before stepping aside and the ceremony began.
When the two had spoken the wedding vows, Mon Mothma proclaimed them husband and wife.
Dash kissed his wife and their comrades cheered.
Silent and with a smile the rebel leader walked to the waiting shuttle.

Minutes later there was a horn signal and the victory celebration on the village square began. The newly married couple hurried to attend together with the members of Rogue Squadron. Rebels and Ewoks rejoiced in the warm glow of firelight, drums beating, the singing, dancing, and laughter, celebrating victory.
In the sky above, fireworks exploded and Rebel fighters zoomed over the forest.
Finally Luke arrived and Nomi breathed a sigh of relief seeing her childhood friend being sound and well. The young Jedi walked over to Nomi to greet her. She caught a whiff of a scent of smoke as he stood in front of her, and raised an eyebrow. Noticing her reaction, he quickly told her what happened onboard the Death Star and that he had just burned his father's armor on a pyre in another clearing.
Then he stepped aside to a tree, where he stood in silence, not participating in the all-encompassing joy.
Nomi was still watching him, as Dash hugged her from behind and she rested her head on his chest.
A smile slowly appeared on Luke's face and when Nomi looked exactly in the same direction, she saw three bluish shimmering figures. One of them looked familiar to her. It was the man she had seen in her dreams on Vjun, claiming to be Obi-Wan Kenobi.
The young woman had no idea why she could see them as it seemed that her husband couldn't. Dash whispered sweet words while kissing her neck, completely focused on his wife.
Slowly the ghosts, or whatever they were, vanished and Luke finally joined the celebration.

The festivity lasted late into the night. Some of the pilots had brought jet sprit, a very strong alcoholic drink, they used to distill aboard the capital ships they were stationed on. It wasn't legal, but their superiors mostly turned a blind eye to it. Nomi didn't participate in the drinking because of her pregnancy, but her brother had his share and at the end he passed out and fell on the forest floor.
Nomi rested her head against her husband's shoulder as they sat on a tree trunk holding hands, while the others danced and enjoyed themselves.
Noticing that his wife was tired, he picked her up and carried her to one of the huts provided by the Ewoks and placed her on the pillows which served as a bed. Then he laid down too and took Nomi in his arms who had already fallen asleep.
It didn't take long for him to fall asleep too, while the others were still celebrating.