Chapter 73 - Clipped Wings

The next morning, Nomi was playing with the triplets, but she was absent-minded. Their mother's mood was also reflected in the behavior of the boys, who sensed that something was wrong. They were very restless and constantly quarreling with each other.

Dash entered the living room in his pilot gear. He looked at his sons and then at his wife.
"I would stay, but unfortunately I have to attend a combat exercise," he said before bending down and kissing Nomi.
Nomi nodded her head.
"I know, Dash. Duty always comes first," she said while stopping Corran from hitting Junior. "Stop it, Corran!"
Dash frowned at his youngest son and wagged his finger at the boy.
"If you don't behave, there won't be any Blum fruit for dessert, young man."
"Corran good boy, Dada. Pwomise," answered the little boy.
His father nodded.
"I expected nothing less, Corran. The same goes for you, Junior and Biggs."
Dash put on his breath mask and left the quarters for the landing pad.

Nomi sighed as the door closed behind her husband. She wished she could fly again because it would take her mind off her problems.
"I don't want to interrupt, but it's time for your training, Nomi," she heard Leebo's mechanical voice. "I'll take care of the triplets."
The young woman glanced at her chrono as she rose from the floor before going into the bedroom to change.
When she came back, Biggs looked at her wide-eyed as she hooked her lightsaber to her belt. He pointed to the weapon.
"Mama, what?"
Nomi bent down and picked up her son.
"It's a lightsaber, a Jedi Knight's weapon, Biggs," the young mother replied.
Her son looked at her in amazement because he knew the Jedi from the bedtime stories she used to tell the triplets.
"Mama, Jedi Knight?"
"No, I'm not a Jedi yet, Biggs. I still have a lot to learn from Luke. But the day will come when I'll be a fully trained Jedi," said Nomi before putting her son down. "I have to go now. Be good and don't annoy Leebo too much or the poor droid will short out."
She kissed her sons and took Tasherit out of her crib. After putting the breath mask on her daughter, she put on her own and set off.

When she reached her destination, Luke was waiting for her at the door.
"Good morning, Nomi. I'm glad you're continuing your training," the Jedi said with a smile. "You can put your daughter in my bed."
He made room for his friend and Nomi entered his quarters where she put Tasherit in his bed. Then she took the breath mask from the little girl, kissed her forehead and went back to where Luke was waiting for her.
"I'm only here to continue my training because I have no other choice, Luke," Nomi began. "I lay awake half the night and brooded. And I came to realize that only as a trained Jedi do I stand a chance of saving my family from harm. That's why I am here and want to continue my training."
Luke nodded his head.
"I know it must have been a difficult decision for you to make, but you're doing the right thing. Let's start."
The Jedi was holding a training remote he had built to replace the one his childhood friend had destroyed.
"As you can see, I've made a new training remote and I want you to practice with it and wear the helmet with the opaque visor. But I have to warn you, this time the laser beams won't be so harmless."
Nomi looked at him in disbelief.
"You must be crazy, Luke."
The young man laughed and winked at her.
"No, I'm not crazy. I was just kidding."
His friend couldn't join in the laughter.
"Damn, Luke, I don't think that's funny," Nomi said, frowning.
Luke realized he had made a mistake.
"Sorry, that won't happen again. But now we should really start. Put on the helmet and activate your lightsaber."
Nomi did what the Jedi asked of her.
"Concentrate, Nomi," her childhood friend said in a calm voice. "Feel the Force. Yes, be calm and passive."
Skywalker activated the training remote before throwing it in the air.
Nomi stood there with her activated lightsaber. She was calm and felt the Force as she waited for the remote to attack. It wasn't long before the attack came.
The training remote circled the young woman, firing its laser beams in quick succession. But it was no match for her. Deeply attuned to the Force, Nomi saw in her mind where the next attack would take place. She blocked every laser beam and counterattacked.
Luke watched with interest and was amazed at the speed and accuracy Nomi showed. He felt the Force flow between the young woman and her weapon, creating an unity. That was much more than he had expected. Finally, the training remote stopped and hovered in the air.
"That's enough for today, Nomi," Luke said while levitating the remote to him and deactivating it. "You've already learned a lot and your control of the Force is very good. Before doing the next exercise, you should meditate."

Nomi sat down hesitantly cross-legged on the floor. She was afraid of having a vision of the future again.
"I can sense that you're scared, Nomi," she heard the Jedi's voice after she closed her eyes. "You have no reason to. Relax and surrender to the Force. Nothing can happen to you."
The young woman took a few calming breaths.
"Yes, you have to let go," Skywalker said, looking at the Rogue Squadron pilot who was starting to relax. "Clear your mind of all questions. There's nothing but the Force. You're one with the Force. The Force is our ally, Nomi. This is what makes us luminous beings. Use the Force."
Luke sat down next to her.
Finally all fears left Nomi and she breathed evenly with her eyes closed. She felt the life energy of many beings. The young woman especially felt the presence of her teacher, her children, and Leia's presence in the Force. She touched Tasherit in the Force and the little girl reacted. It was a wonderful feeling as their thoughts joined in the Force.
"Yes, Nomi, the talent to use the Force is a wonderful gift."
The Jedi rose.
"Beating the training remote is one thing, Nomi, versus living humans is another. You'll fight me."
He activated his lightsaber and with a hiss the green blade came to life. When Nomi saw the blade, she jumped up and backed away. The blade reminded her of the blade wielded by the stranger from the vision.
"Please, Luke, let's call it a day," she said, pretending to be calm. "I'm completely exhausted and can't continue."
The Jedi looked at her worried.
"What's wrong with you?"
"Nothing, I'm just tired. Let's continue tomorrow. Also, Dash and I have a meeting with Admiral Ackbar, General Madine and Wedge."
Skywalker nodded his head and deactivated his lightsaber while Nomi went to his quarters to pick up Tasherit.
After putting the breath mask on her daughter's face, she made her way back to her own quarters.
It was almost an escape, but she knew there was no escape.

A few hours later, Nomi and her husband went to the meeting.
Wedge Antilles had arrived ahead of them, so they couldn't speak to him before then.
So they were totally unprepared for what was to come.
Admiral Ackbar pointed to two chairs in front of the table where he, General Madine, and Wedge were sitting.
"Captain Darklighter, Lieutenant Rendar. Please take a seat," said the Mon Calamari and continued when the two complied with his request. "You're probably wondering why we asked you to come here. As you know, the offensive to liberate Coruscant is planned for the near future. Rogue Squadron will play a crucial role in this. You are both excellent pilots. Despite this, we have decided that you will not participate in the offensive."
Nomi thought she had misheard, but one look at Dash and the expression on his face told her that wasn't the case.
"But, Admiral...," Rendar began, but was interrupted by Antilles.
"Please, Dash, let me explain our decision."
Dash jumped up and glared at the commander.
"There's nothing to explain, Commander Antilles!"
"It would be fair if you could give us a chance to explain, Lieutenant Rendar," General Madine interjected.
"Alright, I'll listen to your argument, General," Dash said as he sat back down.
"Commander Antilles," Madine gave the floor to Wedge instead of providing the explanation.
Wedge cleared his throat and looked at his friends.
"This decision wasn't easy for us. We don't like losing you because you're both excellent pilots. But we can't take responsibility for you participating in the offensive. You have four children who need their parents. To be honest, Rogue Squadron's chances of surviving the attack on Coruscant without suffering heavy casualties are slim. I don't want to endanger you. In addition, Nomi should be able to fully concentrate on her training as a Jedi. She can't serve in Rogue Squadron and train with Luke at the same time."
He leaned back in his seat and crossed his arms over his chest.
"We ask for your understanding of this decision."
Dash had listened to the commander and had calmed down a bit.
"We have to accept this decision, Wedge. It looks like we don't have a choice. May I ask if you already have a replacement?"
Antilles nodded his head.
"Your places will be taken by Corran Horn and Tycho Celchu."
Nomi raised an eyebrow at the first name mentioned.
"Corran Horn? Are you talking about Hal Horn's son?"
"Yes, Corran is Hal Horn's son, Nomi. You know him?"
"He helped us escape from Corellia," replied the young pilot. "If it weren't for him and his father, who knows what would have become of us."
At this point General Madine spoke up.
"The fact that you are no longer members of Rogue Squadron doesn't mean that you no longer have a role within the Alliance," the general paused for a second before continuing. "We have an agent stationed on Coruscant whose codename is Targeter. I need you both as liaison officers to this agent. Despite everything, you will play a not insignificant role in the liberation of Coruscant. We are just keeping you out of the line of fire. If the operation is successful, you may be able to retake your positions in Rogue Squadron."
Nomi knew immediately what that meant. They were intended to fill the gaps that would surely be left in the squadron's ranks. She shuddered at the thought that her brother might be killed and she or Dash would take his place. In the middle of her thoughts she heard Admiral Ackbar's voice.
"Captain Darklighter. Lieutenant Rendar...dismissed."
Both pilots rose and left the briefing room.

As Nomi and Dash made their way to their quarters, Wedge caught up with them.
"I'm sorry, but that's how it works best," Antilles began walking alongside his friends. "Believe me, this decision wasn't easy for me. Of course, you can always practice in the simulators and there will also be an X-wing that you can use to participate in combat exercises."
Rendar turned his head and looked at his friend with satisfaction.
"Thanks, Wedge. Do Ackbar and Madine know about this?"
The Rogue Squadron commander laughed before answering the question.
"No, what I have now offered you is absolutely illegal. If they ever find out, my career is over."
"Well, then we'll make sure they don't notice," Dash suppressed a grin and winked at his wife.
"Of course," Nomi replied, but there was something else on her mind. "Would it be possible for me to meet with Corran Horn?"
Wedge smiled at her.
"But of course, I'll pick you up tomorrow and take you to him."
Then he turned and walked to the landing pad.

That evening, after taking care of their offspring and contacting Lando in Cloud City, Nomi and Dash went to bed. Rendar kissed his wife and took her in his arms.
"They pretty much clipped our wings today, Nomi," he said with a crooked smile.
"I've to agree with that," his wife replied, closing her eyes.
In any case, it wasn't the way she wanted it to be.