Chapter 102 - Remorse

Nomi woke up after a restless sleep.
Her husband lay next to her and she listened to his breathing. She got out of bed carefully so as not to wake him. The young woman wanted to go to Luke because she wanted to take care of him. She felt guilty for almost killing her Jedi Master and childhood friend.
Apparently she wasn't careful enough because Dash woke up and looked at her with sleepy eyes.
"What are you doing, Nomi? Where do you want to go so early in the morning?" He asked, rubbing his eyes.
His wife could have used a Jedi mind trick to influence him, but that wouldn't have been fair to him. She knew that he loved her despite everything and that he stuck by her even though she had even threatened him in the throne room.
It became difficult to distinguish right from wrong. Her father's legacy had become a curse instead of a blessing.
Dash left the bed and approached Nomi. He took her by the shoulders and looked into her eyes.
"Why don't you answer my question?"
His question snapped her out of her thoughts.
"Sorry, Dash, I want to go to Luke," Nomi finally replied.
"Why, Nomi?" He looked at her questioningly. "Haven't you done enough to the boy already? He's doing very badly. A visit from you would only upset him."
"Please, Dash, I have to go to him. I have to explain to him why it happened."
Nomi looked at her husband with pleading eyes.
"Okay, but I'm coming with you. Wait, I just have to get dressed quickly," Dash said, letting her go.
His wife shook her head as she put on her robe.
"No, Dash, I have to go to him alone."
"I can't allow that, Nomi. You tried to kill him. Who guarantees that the Emperor's ghost won't take possession of you again and you'll try again?"
"Trust me, Dash."
The former mercenary hesitated for a moment, leaned over and gave her a gentle kiss.
"Yes, darling, I trust you."
Before her husband could change his mind, the Jedi rushed to the door and opened it.
"Hey, Nomi, you can't wear just a robe..."
She didn't hear the rest because she was already in the hallway.

On the way to the medbay, she saw no one in the dimly lit hallways.
When she reached her destination, she opened the door and walked to the bed without making any noise. Nomi was shocked when she saw Luke. What had she done to him? His complexion was pale and his breathing was irregular. He must be in terrible pain because even though he used a Jedi technique to relieve it, he groaned. His presence in the Force flickered as if he were dying. It was the same when her father died. Desperate, the Jedi sank to her knees at her friend's bedside.
"Luke, please don't die," she whispered. "Believe me, I didn't want that. How will I complete my training if you are no longer with me to teach me? Other than you, there is no Jedi Master in the entire galaxy. My children, who should show them the ways of the Force if not you? The New Jedi Order...It can't all be over before it begins."
Suddenly she felt the gentle touch of his hand, which trembled slightly as he stroked her hair. She looked up and met his blue eyes.
He moved his lips, but Nomi couldn't understand his words. She leaned closer to him and then she understood what he was saying, even if it was just a whisper.
"It's not your fault, Nomi. I should have listened to you." He paused and continued after a while. "Master Yoda taught me never to underestimate the dark side. I won't die, it's not my time yet, Nomi. Get the Kaiburr crystal from my quarters."
When she heard that, the Jedi jumped up. The Kaiburr crystal. Why hadn't she thought of that?
She went to the door, opened it and left the room. Then she ran as fast as her feet would carry her to Luke's quarters to get the crystal.

After reaching Luke's quarters, she opened the door and recoiled. Directly in front of her she saw the shadowy figure of the Emperor. At the same moment she felt a terrible headache again. But this time she fought against it with all her might. He shouldn't gain power over her again.
"You failed. Skywalker is still alive. You must complete your task."
The ghostly apparition stared at her with yellow eyes.
Nomi shook her head.
"You no longer have any influence over me. I will never serve the dark side."
When he heard this, the Emperor laughed evilly.
"Well, we'll see. You have given in to the dark side several times. I am sure that one day there will be no turning back from this dark path for you."
The apparition approached her.
"Skywalker will die, it is inevitable. There is another who will avenge me. If you fail again, she will take your place."
With these words the apparition vanished.
Nomi didn't have time to think about the late Emperor's words. She entered the quarters and closed the door. It didn't take long for her to find the small box that contained the crystal. She quickly took out the jewel and made her way back to the medbay.

Holding the Kaiburr crystal tightly in her hand, she entered Luke's room and made her way to his bed. There she let her hand with the crystal hover over her friend's body. The crystal began to glow as she focused the Force on the young man's wounds. Seconds later, the crystal's red glow intensified, enveloping Skywalker's body and the wounds began to heal.
At the same time, Nomi felt his presence in the Force growing stronger. She smiled because her Jedi Master would survive.

Reassured, she returned to her quarters, where Dash was already waiting for her. He had Tasherit in his arms and was coming towards her.
"You look happy, darling," he said after kissing her.
Nomi nodded and took the baby from his arms.
"Yes, I'm happy, Dash. Luke will survive. The Emperor didn't achieve his goal," replied his wife.
The young woman sat on the couch, opened her robe and began feeding Tasherit. Her husband sat down next to her. Dash leaned in and gave Nomi a gentle kiss. Then he stroked Tasherit's head lovingly and sighed.
"It's been four months since I held our daughter in my arms for the first time. I fondly remember her birth. It was a wonderful experience for me. Completely different than when the triplets were born."
Nomi smiled as she remembered how easy Tasherit's birth was. The relaxation techniques Luke had taught her had spared her the terrible pain of giving birth to the triplets. Dash tenderly stroked his wife's hand as she supported Tasherit's head.
"That's how it should always be, darling. Just you, me and our children," Dash finished his review.
Yes, that would be nice, Nomi thought, but unfortunately the galaxy still contained the scattered remnants of Palpatine's Empire. As long as the warlords fought each other, the New Republic was in no danger. But should one of them succeed in uniting the warring factions... But she didn't want to think about it any longer at that moment. She hoped that for once in her life she could be truly happy.