Chapter 109 - Commando Mission

After several days in hyperspace, the Jedi Hope returned to normal space.The tension on board was almost palpable. They couldn't be sure if the mission would be successful. But now there was no going back. It was the point of no return.

When Corran Horn, Tycho Celchu, Dash Rendar, and Nomi Darklighter entered the Star Destroyer's main hangar, the pilots of Rogue Squadron and Nerf Squadron were already assembled. The commander of the latter was already in the process of briefing his pilots again. Wedge Antilles stood in front of his X-wing, cleared his throat and began speaking to the pilots under his command.
"The day we have been waiting for has come. Once the planetary shield is deactivated, you will begin your attack on the Imperial garrison.
He looked at Wes Janson, his second in command.
"You will lead the squadron into battle in my absence, Wes. Start attacking once the shield is down. Don't worry, we'll get away in time."
Janson nodded.
"Okay, then it's time for us," Wedge said, pointing to his small commando unit. "May the Force be with us."
Then he climbed up the ladder and got into his fighter.
Nomi, followed by Dash, walked to her X-Wing, which had her R2 unit Fuzzy already in its socket. The droid let out a cheerful whistle at the sight of her.
As the young woman was about to climb the ladder to the fighter, her husband stopped her and pulled her into his arms. Dash held her tightly as if he didn't want to let go. Then he lovingly kissed her goodbye.
"May the Force be with you, Nomi," he said in a hoarse voice.
It was difficult for him to let his wife go without knowing if it might be the last time he could hold her in his arms.
"May the Force be with you, Dash."
Nomi smiled at her husband before gently pulling away from his embrace. Then she climbed up the ladder, put on her helmet and closed the canopy. Her husband gave her one last wave before retreating behind the hangar door.
Fuzzy had already warmed up the engine and Nomi quickly did the pre-flight check. It wasn't long before the members of the commando unit left the Jedi Hope in their X-Wings towards Lip'a'rii II.

They managed to land unnoticed on the night side of the planet, out of sensor range. After pulling the camouflage net over their X-wings, Wedge pointed northwest. Rugged mountain peaks stood out in the dim light of Lip'a'rii II's double moons.
"The garrison is in this direction. The shield generator should probably be there too. We have to cross the mountains on foot. It would be too risky to march during the day, so we only go at night. This planet is swarming with Imperial patrols, so we have to be very careful."
He looked at his comrades carefully and then his gaze remained on Nomi.
"You can't be serious, Nomi, carrying out this mission armed only with your lightsaber," he said, raising an eyebrow.
The young woman nodded.
"Of course, Wedge. I'm a Jedi and I don't need any other weapon," she replied confidently.
The Rogue Squadron commander came up to her and grabbed her by the shoulders.
"Nomi, please be sensible and at least take a blaster."
She shrugged.
"If it makes you sleep better."
Antilles breathed a sigh of relief.
"Yes, it would. Your husband would never forgive me if I didn't bring you back from this mission unharmed."
Nomi took the blaster Wedge offered her and holstered it.
Meanwhile, Tycho Celchu had packed the explosive charges in his backpack and shouldered it.
"Let's go, Rogues."

With difficulty they made their way through the thick undergrowth. The air was filled with the nightly calls of unknown animals. Nomi opened herself to the Force and could feel how every single being, every plant, every stone was a part of it. It was a wonderful feeling.
Although she frequently used her lightsaber to hack a path, their progress was very slow.
Wedge was about to step into a clearing when Corran pulled him back.
"What..."
Antilles couldn't finish the sentence because Horn covered his mouth with his hand.
"Imperial scout troopers, right in front of us," Corran whispered.
Nomi looked at the two in amazement and wondered how the former CorSec officer wanted to know that. There was no one to be seen. She reached out and actually felt the minds of four other people.
Then she looked at Wedge questioningly and crawled slowly and carefully towards him.
"And what are we doing now?"
"I don't know," her commander and friend said with a sigh. "We can't go around them, that would take too much time and we don't have time, Nomi."
The Jedi nodded and stood up.
"Hey, where are you going?"
"Let me handle this, Wedge. When I give you a signal, you all have to run as fast as you can."
The three men nodded and watched her walk towards the clearing.
As she walked, she reached into the minds of the scout troopers with the Force. In this way, she influenced them to ensure that they didn't notice four Rogues passing through their post.
She signaled to her comrades and they ran past her across the clearing and took cover at the opposite edge of the forest. Nomi quickly followed them. When she reached them, she couldn't suppress a triumphant grin.

They marched several more kilometers until daybreak and then set up camp in the thick undergrowth. After eating the unflavored protein bars, Nomi sat down next to Corran.
"Why did you know there were Imperial scout troopers in the clearing?"
"I don't know," he shrugged. "Somehow I sensed danger, Nomi."
"Could it be that you're Force sensitive?"
Horn looked at her in surprise.
"Why do you think that? To be honest, since my escape from the Lusankya, I have also suspected that I might be Force sensitive."
He unconsciously reached for the coin with the image of a Jedi that he wore on a necklace.
"Perhaps you should talk to Commander Skywalker about this after we return," Nomi suggested.
"Yeah, maybe I should do that."
He nodded and curled up under his blanket. Then he fell asleep from exhaustion.
Tycho was also asleep when Wedge came to Nomi. He sat down next to her.
"Don't you want to sleep, Nomi?" Antilles asked quietly so as not to wake the others. "It has been a long march and the hardest part of the journey is still ahead of us."
The Jedi shook her head.
"I'm not tired yet, Wedge and one of us should keep watch."
He moved closer and looked into her eyes.
"I know I shouldn't ask that, Nomi...," he hesitated.
"C'mon, Wedge, spit it out. What do you want to know?"
He seemed to have to gather all his courage.
"Are you happy with Dash?" He asked almost inaudibly.
Nomi wondered why he asked her that question.
"Yes, I'm happy with Dash. Even if it's sometimes not easy to live with him. You know his obsessive jealousy."
Antilles sighed, glad she couldn't see his face in the darkness.
"Sometimes I wonder if we would have been a couple if Dash hadn't come back, Nomi."
The young woman stared at her friend, even though she could barely see him. She knew her answer would hurt him, but she didn't want to lie to him.
"No, Wedge," she began. "I would never be able to feel for you what I felt and still feel for Dash. I'm so sorry. I have always seen you as nothing more than a very good friend and comrade."
"I understand."
Antilles got up and went to his sleeping place where he curled up in his blanket.
Nomi sensed his heartache through the Force, but there was no way to help him.
Finally, she made herself as comfortable as possible to keep the first watch while the men slept.