Chapter 61 - The First Training

The next morning, Nomi woke up early. Her sleep wasn't restful because she was afraid of the upcoming training. She looked over to her husband who was still asleep. The young woman got out of bed carefully so as not to wake him.

Nomi went into the small bathroom, activated the shower and entered. She usually enjoyed the warm water, but now all she could think about was what the future might hold that would require lightsaber training. After drying off, she dressed and hooked the lightsaber hilt to her belt. As she exited the bathroom, Dash was standing in front of her.
"Good morning, Nomi," he said, smiling at his wife. "You are up early."
He ran his fingers through his red tousled hair and wore nothing else than his birth suit. Under other circumstances, Nomi would have enjoyed the sight but she was too nervous.
"Good morning, Dash," she replied, trying to get past her husband but Rendar stopped her.
"No kiss for the man you love?" The ex-mercenary asked, raising an eyebrow.
His wife tiptoed and gave him a peck.
"Luke's waiting for me," she said, trying to get past Dash again.
"The boy is still asleep this early, Nomi," her husband said, who was still blocking the way. "And before training you should have breakfast. Wait until I've showered. Then I'll prepare something for us, darling."
Nomi nodded her head and Dash walked into the bathroom upon seeing this. Seconds later, the young woman heard the activated shower and her husband singing a popular song. It was the first time she smiled that morning as she walked over to the table and sat down.

It wasn't long before Dash emerged from the bathroom with wet hair and a towel wrapped around his waist. He smiled at his wife as he walked over to the small kitchen unit and began preparing breakfast.
Minutes later he returned with a tray and placed it on the table. Then he sat down next to his wife and poured two mugs of Blum fruit tea.
"Enjoy your breakfast, honey," he said and began to eat.
Nomi took a sip of tea and stared at the bowl of steaming soup in front of her.
"I know it's just leftovers that I reheated, but it's still better than ration bars," Dash said, noticing his wife wasn't eating.
"What?" asked Nomi, her mind not in the here and now.
"Please eat, darling," said her husband.
She nodded her head and took a spoonful of soup. It tasted good and eventually she ate it all. But her mind was still on the training that would start today.
Dash looked at her thoughtfully after taking a sip of tea but said nothing. He could imagine why his wife was so absent-minded.
Finally, Nomi drank the last sip of tea and stood up.
"It's time to go to Luke's," she said, walking towards the door.
Dash stood up as well and followed her.
"You can do this, darling. I'll take care of the boys in the meantime." Rendar bent down and kissed his wife. "See you later."
"See you later," Nomi replied, stepping out into the misty morning air of Dagobah.

The young woman took her time for the short walk. She was still hesitant about training. But there was no way around it, because she had to keep her promise. When she finally reached Luke's quarters, she knocked on the door and the young Jedi opened it almost immediately. Skywalker was dressed all in black, as he had been on Endor.
"Good morning, Nomi. I'm glad you keep your promise. It's best if we go outside for training," he said, stepping out of the door and closing it. "We have no time to waste and will start immediately. Activate the lightsaber, but be careful. A lightsaber can cut through anything but the blade of another lightsaber."
Nomi nodded her head and unhooked the lightsaber hilt. Then she reluctantly pushed the switch. The blade appeared with a hiss that turned to a low hum.
Luke activated his lightsaber as well.
"You have to hold it with both hands. Look, Nomi," he said, showing her the correct position of the hands on his lightsaber.
The pregnant woman positioned her hands as her childhood friend showed her.
"Yes, that's the right position, Nomi," Skywalker said appreciatively. "You have to get a feel for the weapon. It has to become a part of you. The lightsaber is an extension of your arm. You have a longer range than with your vibro knife and can keep the opponent at a distance. I will now show you the individual stances. Watch closely and then copy them."
At the same moment he started to show her the first stances. Luke moved with the grace of a dancer. Nomi tried to mimic the moves but felt clumsy doing so. The Jedi smiled at her, sensing her emotions in the Force.
"That wasn't bad, Nomi."

The young woman raised an eyebrow and looked at him in disbelief.
"You don't want to hurt my feelings, Luke," she replied with a sigh and deactivated the lightsaber. "I'm too slow and my movements aren't as fluent as yours. I'll never wield a lightsaber like you and have no right to carry this weapon. And I'm becoming more and more aware of that. Please take back the lightsaber and give it to Leia. Maybe you can teach her. She deserves the weapon more than me because she's Force sensitive. I think it's better to stick with my blaster and vibro knife."
Luke shook his head.
"You're not too slow," he began, knowing full well that he had to convince his friend not to give up so easily. "Don't forget that you are pregnant. As a result, you are somewhat restricted in your movements. Believe me, when your daughter is born, your movements will be fluent and elegant again. How many times have I seen you fight with the vibro knife? Each time I admired your speed and elegance. Don't give up so easily, Nomi. A lot can depend on your ability to wield a lightsaber."
Nomi activated the lightsaber again and went into a fighting stance.
"I'll try, Luke."
"Don't just try. Do or do not, there is no try. That's what Master Yoda always said to me," Skywalker said, smiling, remembering his late Jedi Master.

The Rogue Squadron pilot nodded and repeated each combat stance countless times. By the end she was so exhausted that the lightsaber almost slipped out of her hands.
Luke noticed her condition and deactivated his lightsaber.
"I think that's enough for today," the Jedi said and went to his quarters.
Nomi also deactivated her lightsaber and followed her childhood friend.
Inside, Skywalker motioned to a chair.
"Come sit down, Nomi. You are completely exhausted. We'll continue tomorrow."
Nomi dropped into the chair while Luke poured a mug of tea and pushed it over to her. Then he sat down opposite his friend.
"You will practice the fighting stances until they become second nature," he said, watching Nomi carefully. "If that's the case, we can start practicing with the training remote."
Luke pulled out his comlink.
"Dash? Please come and pick up your wife at my quarters. We're done with training for today."
"I'll be there in a few minutes." Nomi heard her husband's reply.

When Dash entered Luke's quarters after the Jedi opened the door, he stopped dead in his tracks. He glared at the Jedi after looking at his wife.
"Luke, what did you do with Nomi? She's completely exhausted. Have you forgotten that my wife is pregnant?"
"No, I haven't, Dash, but you know that intense training is important," Luke answered calmly. "This is the only way Nomi can acquire the necessary skills. You know what can depend on it."
Rendar just nodded his head and walked over to the table where his wife was sitting.
Nomi had listened to the conversation and got the impression that the two men were hiding something from her. But she was far too tired and exhausted to dig deeper.
Dash smiled at his wife and picked her up in his arms. She wrapped her arms around his neck and rested her head on his chest.
"Goodbye, Luke, see you tomorrow," Dash said, carrying Nomi out of the door after Luke opened it.

She had fallen asleep in Dash's arms and woke up when he laid her gently on the bed and began removing her sweaty clothes.
"I think it's better if you shower and then go straight to bed, honey," he said, kissing her.
She nodded and went into the bathroom. Minutes later she came back, got into bed and fell into a deep, dreamless sleep.
Dash sighed and silently left the bedroom, wishing the circumstances were different.