Chapter 45 - New Arrivals

The rebels were already one standard month on Endor and the relationship with the Ewoks became better and better, so they were allowed to establish a small outpost on the forest moon.

Feeling bored, as Nomi wasn't allowed to take part in the outpost's construction she began to learn some Ewokese, the language of the natives. It wasn't an easy task, but she managed it nevertheless. The Ewoks were always friendly, but also very curious if it came to her pregnancy. Sometimes she wished to be back on Tatooine, where her mother could look after her. She had so many questions 2-1B was unable to answer. The droid saw only the medical requirements, but wasn't of any help if it came to the soon-to-be-mom's worries.

The young woman sat on a chair, watching her comrades and their furry helpers working, put her hands on her pregnant belly and spoke softly to the unborn babies, who were moving. She was lost in thought and didn't notice Dash approaching her from behind until he kissed her neck. Giving in to the kiss Nomi noticed her husband smelled of sweat from participating in the work. Dash stepped in front of his wife with a big smile on his face. "I wonder how you would like the thought to leave Endor, darling," he said, settling down on the wooden floor at her feet. "Honestly, I don't think you should give birth to our sons on this moon. The tribe's shaman may be wise, but he has no experience if it comes to assisting at a human birth. What if there are any complications?" He paused for a fraction of a second, before he continued. "While 2-1B is programmed perfectly, I don't want our babies to be touched by the droid. So I suggest flying to Corellia on either the Aquarius or the Outrider." He looked at his wife expectantly. Nomi noticed how worried Dash was and that he actually would rather go to a civilized planet. Finally she nodded her head and her husband breathed a sigh of relief. "Unless 2-1B objects, Dash," her answer came. "I've asked the medi droid beforehand and it has confirmed that the journey is still possible without any problems. We can leave today." "Then we should fly to Home One, pack our belongings and take them onboard the Outrider. It's better to take your ship. We can pick up the Aquarius at some point." Dash stood and smiled at his wife, glad that she had agreed so easily and that they would take his ship.

They took one of the shuttles that ran regularly between the flagship and the forest moon. It was only a short flight and after landing they went to their quarters and packed. Leebo helped bring the crates aboard the Outrider. Fuzzy let out sad beeps as he realized his beloved pilot was about to leave. Nomi caressed the astromech's dome. "I'll be back, little fella, I promise," the young woman said with a smile. She would surely miss the talkative droid. It didn't take long and the last crate was on board the Outrider. Nomi and Dash went to the hangar bay where Wedge, Tarik and Gavin were waiting for them to say goodbye. Gavin hugged his big sister and kissed her on the cheek. "Take care, sis," he said. Then he cast a glance at his brother-in-law. "Take good care of my sister, Dash." "I promise, Gavin," Dash Rendar said with a serious undertone. "I take you at your word," the young pilot replied, making room for Tarik. The alien hugged his old friend and flapped his wings. As Nomi looked closely, she noticed a tear escaping Tarik's eyes. "There is no need to cry, Tarik," she said cheerfully and ruffled the feathers on his head. "I know," her friend replied, wiping the tears away. "But it's the first time we've been apart since we met. Until our paths cross, Nomi." He let go of the young woman and stepped aside, a little embarrassed at being so emotional. Now it was Wedge's turn to say goodbye. He didn't hug her, not sure if he could resist kissing her. So he just took her hand and looked at her with a smile. "Have a good trip, both of you." the commander finally said. "You made the right decision to go to Corellia." "Thank you, Wedge," Nomi said, turning to face her husband as the Rogue Squadron commander released her hand. "Time to go, darling." Dash nodded his head and walked up the ramp, followed by his wife. At the hatch, Nomi turned to her friends and waved them goodbye. Then she entered the freighter and the hatch closed. Minutes later, after Dash received permission, the Outrider launched.