Chapter 65 - The Dark Side lurks

Four weeks had passed, which were filled with simulator exercises and lightsaber training for Nomi.
The young woman was now in the 8th month of her pregnancy and was no longer allowed to fly in an X-wing. But even then, Luke and Dash insisted that she continue lightsaber training.
Seeing her wield the lightsaber despite her baby bump was an odd sight. Knowing that she was Force sensitive, Luke always made her wear the helmet with the opaque visor during training. It was very tiring. Everything was so easy for her the first time. Now that she knew she could use the Force, it was incredibly difficult for her.

Nomi was getting dressed for lightsaber training and was hooking the lightsaber hilt to her belt when her husband entered the room with his eldest son in his arms. Dash Jr. had his arms around his father's neck and was babbling something in his own language. His mother smiled when she saw this.
"Is it time for your training again?" Rendar asked and kissed her, while their son grabbed his mother's long red hair.
Nomi lovingly freed her hair from her son's grasp before answering her husband's question.
"Yes, and I wish I could stay and play with our sons, Dash," she said, stroking Junior's cheek.
"You know that's not possible, darling," her husband replied.
The young woman nodded her head and touched her stomach where her daughter was moving.
"You and Luke have told me often enough."
She went to the door, opened it and stepped out into the damp air left by the recent rain.

The path to Luke's was muddy and Nomi had to tread carefully. When she reached her destination, her boots were covered in dirt. Luke was already waiting for her when she knocked on the door. When she saw the training helmet in the man's hand, she frowned.
"Hello, Nomi," the Jedi greeted her. "The training today won't be easy given the slippery ground."
"Hello, Luke," she replied to her teacher's greeting. "I agree that the conditions aren't the best for training, but I assume we'll train anyway."
"You're right," Luke said with a grin, tossing her the helmet.
Nomi caught it in midair and put it on, knowing there would be no point in refusing training. Almost immediately, she heard the low hum of the training remote that began to circle her. After activating her lightsaber, she waited for the attack. She thought of everything Luke taught her, reaching for the Force. But she couldn't, and the remote scored a hit. The young woman was cursing in Huttese as she lost her footing, slipped and almost fell. At that moment, the remote fired again, scoring another hit. Nomi couldn't think of concentrating anymore and was helpless.
When she stopped hearing the hum of the remote, Nomi deactivated the lightsaber and removed the helmet.
Luke stood in front of her, holding the remote and shaking his head. He was not in the least satisfied with the performance of his pupil.
"I don't know what's wrong with you, Nomi. Why don't you listen to what I told you? You must open yourself completely to the Force. Don't think too much, just follow your instincts," he said, programming the training remote for the next round.
"It's easy for you to talk, Luke," Nomi answered with a frustrated undertone. "When I see how easy it is for the triplets to use the Force, I wonder why I can't."
"Your children are more open-minded, Nomi," Luke said with a smile. "It's natural for them to use the talent given to them. You just think too much and that blocks the flow of the Force. I suggest that we continue now."

Nomi sighed, put the helmet back on, activated her lightsaber, and attempted to open herself to the Force. But the more she tried, the more she failed. The training remote circled, landing hit after hit. The hits were unpleasant and frustrated the young woman.
"Nomi, you have to let go. Open yourself to the Force," she heard Luke's voice.
That only added to her frustration.
"Damn, I can't, Luke!" she yelled at her childhood friend and started to get angry.
Skywalker wasn't impressed by her outburst and continued to give advice.
"Yes, you can do it, Nomi," he said in a calm tone. "You did it several times. Keep calm...breathe."
But Nomi had gotten to a point where she was fed up with all of this. She growled and swung the lightsaber wildly, but it only hit the air.
Luke watched her and was about to give her some more advice when he suddenly had a feeling he hadn't had since the cave Master Yoda had sent him inside years ago. He felt cold, deadly cold, the cold of the dark side. And that cold emanated from Nomi.
"No, Nomi!" The Jedi yelled at her, trying to stop her but she didn't react.
The pregnant woman turned her head following the training remote she finally saw. Little did she know that her anger and aggression had opened her to the dark side of the Force. Seeing the device in front of her, she swung her lightsaber and sliced it in half. With a shout of triumph, she removed the helmet and deactivated her lightsaber.
Luke stared first at the destroyed training remote and then at the woman he had known for ages and who now seemed like a stranger to him.
Nomi noticed the young man's expression.
"Sorry, Luke, I didn't mean to destroy the remote. Apparently I was a little overzealous."
Her friend was relieved when he no longer felt the cold of the dark side, but he had to tell her and to warn her about the danger.
"You have no idea what just happened, do you?" He began cautiously.
Nomi looked at him in surprise and opened her mouth to answer, but the Jedi cut her off.
"It's not about the destroyed training remote, it's about what happened to you. Your frustration, your anger, your aggression...," he took a deep breath before continuing. "These feelings allow you to tap into the dark side of the Force. It's an easy, alluring path that has been my father's undoing. The dark side lurks in the shadows, always ready to lure those unaware of it and its dangers."
Hearing this, the lightsaber slipped from Nomi's hands and fell into the mud. She covered her face with trembling hands.
The pregnant woman felt as if an abyss was opening up in front of her.
"I don't want to be like your father," she was finally able to say. "Never again will I wield a lightsaber or use the Force. I'm scared, Luke."
The Jedi tried to calm her down.
"You don't need to be afraid, Nomi. If you stay calm and remain passive, nothing can happen to you. Then you will be able to distinguish the light side from the dark side. Master Yoda once told me that a Jedi uses the Force only for knowledge and defense, never for attack. Please calm down. Getting so upset will harm Tasherit and she may come prematurely like her brothers."
His friend was doing her best to calm down, but something still bothered her.
"Tell me the truth, have I harmed my daughter by using the dark side, Luke?"
Skywalker sighed and levitated the lightsaber hilt out of the mud.
"I don't know, Nomi. The future must show whether this brief moment made an impact. Lie down for a while and relax. You're super tense. I'll tell Dash to pick you up."
He handed her the lightsaber hilt before picking up the destroyed training remote. Then he turned and went to his quarters, followed by Nomi.

After they entered, Luke placed the remains of the remote on the table and took his comm, but his friend stopped him before he could activate it.
"Please, Luke, don't tell Dash what just happened. He has enough trouble coming to terms with his wife becoming a Jedi."
Luke nodded his head in agreement.
"I won't tell your husband, Nomi. And I think it's best if I teach you some relaxation techniques tomorrow."
"Thank you, my friend," Nomi said, walking to the Jedi's cot and lying down.
Skywalker smiled and activated the comm to contact his friend's husband.
"Please pick up Nomi. We have finished training for today, Dash."

As Dash Rendar entered Luke's quarters, his gaze fell on the destroyed training remote. He stared at his wife but said nothing as he picked her up. Dash then carried her to their quarters after saying goodbye to Luke.
There he let down his wife, who walked over to a chair at the table and sat down, putting her hands on her stomach where Tasherit was moving. Dash sat down opposite her.
"I saw the destroyed training remote. Tell me what happened, Nomi."
His wife swallowed hard and shook her head.
"Please darling, trust me. What happened? Don't you remember we promised to never keep secrets?"
He reached across the table with his hand and Nomi took it.
"Now tell me what happened, darling."
Reluctantly, she began to tell him, and when she was done, Dash gave her a thoughtful look.
"I'll talk to Luke. It's better if you stop practicing with the lightsaber by the time our daughter is born. Certainly there are exercises that are less dangerous. It might be better if you learn these Jedi relaxation techniques. They might also make childbirth easier for you."
Nomi smiled at her husband.
"In any case, it will be easier because Tasherit will be born here on Dagobah, where the medbay is well equipped."
Dash rose, gave her a kiss and headed for the door.
"I'll go to Luke now and tell him to stop practicing with the lightsaber for now. It won't take long. I'll be back soon. Try to sleep."

As soon as Dash left, Nomi showered, dried off and went to bed. It didn't take long and she fell asleep.