Chapter 34 - Training Flight

Nomi felt great being back in the cockpit of her X-wing after a long time as Vader's prisoner on Vjun.
Fuzzy beeped happily, being reunited with his pilot who he considered to be a friend and not only his master. The young woman listened to the droid and enjoyed the sight of the myriads of stars. How much she had missed that. She smiled and switched her comm to the combat frequency.
"This isn't the time for daydreaming, Sis," her brother's voice interrupted her musing and brought her back to the here and now. "We're here for combat training and not for a family outing. In an actual combat situation you and the triplets would be space dust now."
Nomi cast a glance out of the cockpit and saw her brother's fighter at starboard.
"Your brother is right about this, Nomi," she heard Wedge's voice in her headset. "You should concentrate on the task at hand."
The commander steered his X-wing towards the training area and the squad members followed him.
"Close ranks," Antilles commanded. "Attack formation...set your S-foils in the attack position. Here they come."
When Nomi looked at her targeting computer she noticed the dots, indicating enemy fighters. But this time it weren't actually Imperial TIE fighters but small drone ships which were programmed to simulate them.
"Stay sharp...incoming at 0,35," she heard Wedge's voice again, steered her fighter in a fraction of a second and was pressed hard in her seat.
Fuzzy beeped and whistled and the readouts showed her that everything was in order when she activated her weapons system. It didn't take long and she got the first lock. Her finger lingered over the fire button, but the drone changed course and she kicked the rudder. The X-wing listed to port and almost collided with another drone. Nomi swore loudly and went in a steep dive which brought her out of the danger zone. She breathed a sigh of relief.
"What the kriff are you doing, Rogue 10?" Wedge snapped at her. "Close ranks and coordinate with your wingman."
"Copy that, Leader," she affirmed the command, wondering why Wedge had such a harsh tone.
"Your target is the drone at starboard, Rogue 9. Rogue 10, cover him," came the next command.
"Copy that," Gavin's answer came and he steered his fighter at the same instant, followed by his sister who matched his maneuver.
Just barely, the young pilot managed to destroy the assigned target with Nomi's assistance. Those drones were nasty little things and well programmed. It was really difficult to get them.
Both had a fixation at the one drone and so they missed on the one which showed up out of the sudden at Gavin's fighter at starboard. Neither of them was able to destroy it and it scored a hit on Rogue 9.
"You have just lost your wingman, Rogue 10," Wedge said sharply. "Not your best performance. I think a few simulator training units are necessary because of your long absence, Nomi. Let's fly back."
It didn't take long and they landed onboard the Home One.

Nomi cut the engines, opened the hatch, unbuckled and climbed out of the X-wing. Fuzzy engaged his thrusters, left his socket and landed smoothly on the hangar floor. He rolled over to his pilot and made soothing noises. The young woman bent down to him and patted his dome.
"You did a good job, Fuzzy," she said and sighed. "It was my fault. In actual combat I would have lost my brother, but there's still no reason for Wedge to speak in such a tone with me."
"Nomi"
She was startled when she heard Wedge's voice and rose. Then she removed her helmet and held it in her hand casually.
"What is it, Wedge? Do you have something to add to what you said during the training? Why such a sharp tone? Is it because of yesterday?" She looked at the commander and tried to read his expression.
Wedge shook his head.
"You should know me better. I accept that you aren't open for a new relationship," he replied.
There was again sadness in his eyes.
"We should go in my quarters, Nomi," when he noticed the prying eyes of those being in the hangar. He turned and left, hoping that the young woman would follow him.
Nomi hesitated, but then she followed her commander, leaving Fuzzy behind who would surely roll over to her quarters to recharge.

After they had reached Wedge's quarters, heopened the door and let Nomi enter, before he followed and closed the doorbehind them. His quarters were as sparsely furnished as Nomi's.
"Please take a seat," he asked his friend and waited for her to follow therequest.
As Nomi had sat down, he also sat down on a chair at the small table, pouredtwo mugs of Blum fruit tea and slid one of them over to her. She took a sip ofthe hot liquid which had become her favorite.
Wedge took a sip as well and then he leaned back on his chair.
"It hurts me that you think poorly of me, Nomi. I didn't deserve this. Therejection yesterday has nothing to do with what I said during training. I carefor you and I don't want to lose you. Your performance showed me that it's toolong you flew the last, to let you fly in combat. You need to practice more inthe simulator. I know that you hate to do this, but I ask you as a friend anddon't order you as I could as your commander. Otherwise the next battle couldbe your last one."
He looked at his friend expectantly.
The young woman took another sip of tea, before she answered him.
"You're right, Wedge, I actually need more practice. The time of myimprisonment took its toll on me. I will do the simulator drills."
She downed the rest of the tea and rose, while Wedge smiled at her. Thecommander was glad that he wasn't forced to sandbag her into doing the exercises.
"I see you tomorrow in the simulator room, Wedge," Nomi said, walked over tothe door, opened it and headed for her quarters.