Chapter 86 - Between Joy and Worry

A few days later, the members of the base were called to the command center. There was Admiral Ackbar waiting for them. When he saw everyone gathered, he cleared his throat and began to speak.
"I have just been informed that Coruscant has been liberated by our forces."
The cheers that followed these words were deafening. Humans and aliens hugged happily. All the sacrifices had finally paid off and the capital planet was finally under Alliance control. The Mon Calamari Admiral looked at the cheering crowd and sighed before gesturing for silence.
When the cheering had gradually died down, the admiral continued to speak.
"There's also bad news when it comes to the operation," he said gravely. "Although this was to be avoided, there had been civilian casualties during the battle. But that is not all. Gavin Darklighter was badly wounded and Corran Horn is MIA. We have no idea if he was captured by the Imps or what happened to him. Ysanne Isard escaped during the fighting and no one knows where she went."
Nomi swallowed hard as she heard all this, and only half listened as Ackbar continued.
"A plague is raging on the planet that affects only aliens. The Empire spread the rumor that the Alliance was responsible. There is only one cure for this disease: Bacta. But the Bacta stocks are running out. There are too many patients that need to be treated."
Dash squeezed his wife's hand.
"That's all...dismissed," Ackbar finished before watching the base members leave.

After Nomi and Dash had left the command center they went to their quarters. The young woman was in thought. The fact that her brother was wounded and that Corran was missing dampened her joy at the recent victory.
From her facial expression Dash knew what was going on inside her.
"Gavin will survive, Nomi."
His wife just nodded her head and they walked the rest of the way in silence.

By the afternoon, when it was time for practice, Nomi had calmed down and went to Luke's quarters. The Jedi was already waiting for her there.
"Hello, Nomi. You're just in time, as always," he said, smiling. "You're making good progress and so are the triplets."
"Why did you start their training so early?" She asked the question that had been on her mind for some time.
The young man's smile faded and was replaced by a serious expression.
"It will be easier if they become familiar with the Force at this young age. They will also be better prepared when their grandfather wants to convert them to the dark side. Their resilience will be greater, Nomi."
The young woman looked doubtful at her childhood friend.
"How can toddlers stand against a Dark Jedi?"
"You know very well how strong your sons are in the Force. I will intensify their training. But now it's time for you to practice."
Nomi nodded and seconds later Skywalker felt her open to the Force.
"Yes, Nomi, feel the Force that surrounds you. You are one with all living beings. Feel their presence."
For a split second he thought of his training with Master Yoda years ago on
Dagobah.
"You are doing really well. And now look. I'll show you something and you copy what I'm doing."
At the same moment, he began to levitate off the ground until he was floating cross-legged at a height of about 3 meters.
Nomi gasped when she saw this. She was used to levitating things, but levitating herself would be a different case.
"Now it's your turn, Nomi," Skywalker said, smiling as he looked down at her. "Join me. It's a bit lonely up here."
The young woman laughed.
"Okay, I'm coming. I don't want you dying of boredom up there. But I think when Dash sees us both floating in mid-air, he'll start questioning his sanity."
Her friend laughed too.
"Yes I believe that too. Luckily he's not here. C'mon, Nomi I know you can do it."
Nomi surrendered completely to the Force and felt it slowly carrying her upwards. Eventually she hovered at the same height as Luke. He smiled at her.
"You really learned a lot," he smiled at her. "Your mastery of the Force is perfect. You won't be plagued by self-doubt anymore. I haven't heard from you for a long time that you can't do something. I have a feeling that every day you grow stronger in the Force."
He shouldn't have said that, because Nomi immediately thought of her father, who surely also felt her abilities in the Force increasing.
Luke once told her that a Jedi who learned to use the Force is like a bright light in the universe. The more knowledge and experience the Jedi gains, the brighter this light shines. Once this process started, it was unstoppable.
She slowly lowered herself to the ground. Luke followed her and sank down next to her.
"What's the matter, Nomi? I feel fear and worry. You mustn't give in to this fear. Remember that fear can also be part of the dark side."
He put his arm around her.
"Tell me what's bothering you, Nomi. Maybe I can help you. Back on Tatooine, we had no secrets from each other."
She leaned against him and sighed.
"I'm afraid that wherever my father is, he can also feel the progress I'm making. He will also be able to sense the presence of the triplets in the Force. Maybe even my daughter. I feel like the day of confrontation is not far off and I don't know if I can withstand him. What if I give in to the dark side and follow him?"
"I know you can do it, Nomi," Luke looked at her with confidence. "You've become very strong. If you trust the Force completely, you will emerge victorious."
He released her and stood up.
"We'll stop training for today," he said and held out his hand. "How about a mug of tea to calm you down?"
Nomi nodded, took his hand and stood up.

In Luke's quarters, she sat down on a chair while her friend made tea. It wasn't long before the young Jedi served the hot liquid. Nomi took a sip and savored the taste. After a while she felt herself getting calmer.
She had just finished her second mug of tea when there was a knock on the door.
Luke stood up and opened the door.
"Hello, Luke," Dash Rendar said, stepping in after Skywalker gave way. "I want to pick up my wife."
Nomi's husband seemed cheerful, but his wife sensed it was just a facade.
"What's the matter, Dash?" She asked, eyeing the former mercenary intently.
"Nothing, darling," he replied, avoiding her gaze.
"You're a bad liar, Dash. I can feel your worry."
Rendar sighed.
"You scare me with your Jedi skills. I can't hide anything from you. Okay if you really want to know. I'm still thinking about how we can protect ourselves from your father. Maybe you have some advice, Luke?"
He looked expectantly at the Jedi, who had sat down again.
"I'm sorry, Dash, but I can't give you any advice. Nothing and nobody could stop Nomi's father if he wants her and his grandchildren. No matter where we hide Nomi and the children, Ulic Bel-Baal would use the Force to track them down. Even I can't stop him from approaching them. When that happens, your wife will have to fight her father. I can only ensure that Nomi is strong enough in the Force to withstand the Dark Jedi that is her father."
Nomi's husband swallowed hard.
"Promise me that you'll teach Nomi the ways of the Force as best you can," he said, his voice hoarse. "I couldn't bear to lose her or the children, Luke."
"I promise I'll do everything I can to protect Nomi and your children from harm, Dash."

A short time later, Nomi and Dash left Luke and headed home. Despite the Jedi's assurances, their mood was depressed. Both were aware that it would be almost impossible for the young man to keep his promise.