Chapter 107 - An unexpected Decision

The next day, Dash Rendar entered the living room where his wife was sitting at a table reading something on her data pad. The triplets could be heard in their room.
Nomi looked up from her data pad and smiled at her husband. Dash walked up to her, leaned down and kissed her. His wife wrapped her arms around his neck and returned the kiss.
"I love you, Dash," she whispered in the kiss.
Rendar lovingly untangled himself from his wife and straightened up.
"I know," he replied.
Nomi looked at him in surprise because she noticed a strange undertone in his voice.
"What's up? There's something wrong with you, darling."
"It's..." her husband hesitated.
"What is it?"
Dash took a deep breath, knowing his wife wouldn't like what he was about to say to her.
"I volunteered for the Jedi Hope Mission. They assigned me to Nerf Squadron."
Now it was out and as he looked at Nomi's face he knew he was right in assuming she didn't agree with what he was doing.
"You did what?"
The Jedi hoped she had misheard.
"I volunteered...," Dash began, but couldn't continue because Nomi jumped up and yelled at him.
"Are you crazy? You have four small children! Should they grow up without a father? You must have lost your mind!"
Dash had never seen her so angry and didn't know how to calm her down. Maybe he should try to explain his reasons to her.
"Please understand me, Nomi, I can't live like this. I need something to do."
"No, I don't understand! You have a family, Dash! We need you! Yesterday you said that the chances of a successful mission are very slim!"
Dash touched his wife's arm, but she shook off his hand.
"Don't touch me!"
He backed away in shock.

Because of the loud argument, their sons opened the door and went into the living room. Corran walked over to his father and tugged at his pant leg.
"Papa, why is Mama so angry with you?"
Dash bent down, picked up his youngest son and took him in his arms.
"Your Mama doesn't agree with a decision I made, little one."
Corran frowned.
"What's a decision, Papa?"
But before Dash could answer his son's question, there was a knock on the door of their quarters and they heard Luke's voice.
"Nomi! Dash!"
He walked to the door with Corran on his arm and opened it. Nomi followed him slowly before standing next to him.
Luke looked seriously into the Jedi's face, which was still flushed with anger.
"You must learn self-control, Nomi," the young man said while entering.
Skywalker didn't come alone. He was accompanied by Wedge Antilles, the commander of Rogue Squadron, and Corran Horn.
Both men seemed embarrassed that they were caught in the middle of a marital dispute. They turned to leave.
"Wedge, Corran, please stay," Nomi said, stopping them. "I want to hear your opinion."
Wedge entered the living room, followed by Corran. Nomi's former commander looked at her questioningly.
"What do you want to hear our opinion about?" Antilles asked.
"I want to know what you think of a man who leaves his family to seek adventure!" The Jedi had lost her temper again. Luke placed his hand reassuringly on her arm.
"Please, Nomi, calm down and tell us calmly and matter-of-factly why you are so upset."
She took a deep breath, started talking, and when she was finished, she looked expectantly at her friends.
Wedge cleared his throat before speaking.
"Don't you think you reacted a little too strongly, Nomi? Dash is an experienced pilot and he knows what he's doing. The Jedi Hope's upcoming mission isn't an adventure. Your husband would never knowingly put himself in danger."
The Jedi started to say something, but Wedge stopped her with a wave of his hand.
"No, let me finish, Nomi. I'm sure Dash told you that two X-Wing squadrons would be involved in the attack." He grinned broadly. "Well, Rogue Squadron is one of them. I requested that Dash be assigned to my squadron instead of Nerf Squadron. After all, you two are still officially members of my unit. Your brother Gavin will be Dash's wingman."

At the mention of "Rogue Squadron," Nomi's eyes lit up. Luke must have sensed his friend's emotions because he spoke to her in the Force.
"Nomi, a Jedi doesn't crave adventure," he paused for a moment. "You just blamed Dash and now you want to fly in combat yourself? I think I'll never understand you. It seems like you really have a lot of your father in you."
"Dammit, Luke, you never wanted to do that again," she answered him in the Force.
"I didn't do that, Nomi," her Jedi Master looked at her innocently. "But your emotions were palpable even without much effort."
"...and that's why I wanted to ask you if you would join us, Nomi." Wedge touched her lightly. "Hey, Nomi, were you even listening to me?"
The young woman shook her head.
"Sorry, Wedge, what did you just say?"
The commander smiled at her.
"I asked you if you would take part in the mission. It would be like before."
The offer to fly an X-Wing again was tempting for Nomi. She was tired of the simulator exercises. Her husband, Corran Horn and Wedge Antilles looked at her expectantly while Luke shook his head slightly.
"Nomi, you should think about your children," she heard her friend's voice in her mind again.
The Jedi looked at her youngest son, who was cuddling with his father. Then she turned back to Luke.
"I'm thinking about my children, Luke," she replied in the Force. "They should grow up in peace and freedom. Therefore, the last remnants of the Empire must be destroyed. My decision is made, I will fly in combat with my comrades from Rogue Squadron."
Luke looked at her sadly and disappointed.
"I neither understand nor approve of your decision, Nomi. But you have to do what you think is right."
She nodded and looked at her husband and friends.
"I'm coming with you."
"Then we'll see you and Dash tomorrow," Wedge said, turning to leave.
"I'm looking forward to flying with you two again," Corran Horn smiled at his friends before following his commander as he opened the door and left the quarters.
Luke left their quarters without a word.

When they were alone again and the triplets had gone to their room, Dash looked at his wife.
"So there was much ado about nothing? Anyway, I'm glad we'll fight side by side again, darling."