Chapter 59 - A Friend's Visit

Some time had passed and Nomi was already in the 6th month of her pregnancy. The young woman felt misshapen and her movements had become sluggish. But what bothered her the most was constant tiredness.

Dash and Nomi sat in their quarters and watched their sons play on the floor. The triplets were 8 months old now and already had their first teeth. Nomi rested her head on her husband's shoulder. She had to admit that the boys had brought a lot of fun in their life, but they could also be very demanding. Everything that was within their reach they put in their mouths. There was no point in putting anything out of reach. When they couldn't reach it with their small hands, they took it with the help of the Force. Dash was constantly busy stopping objects on their journey to the triplets. Every time their plans were thwarted by their father, the children cried. They seemed to understand each other blindly and to work very purposefully when it came to achieving something.
Sometimes her sons were scary for Nomi. Her husband, on the other hand, was almost bursting with pride in his children.

There was a knock on the door and Dash stood up and opened it. Luke stood in front of the pilot with a big smile and wanted to visit his future pupils who would be a new generation of Jedi. Rendar wasn't surprised, for the young Jedi had made it a habit to visit the triplets frequently. Skywalker took a keen interest in their development.
"Hello, may I come in, Dash?"
Rendar nodded his head and made way for his wife's childhood friend. Luke entered just as the triplets levitated their mother's helmet towards them. The young man was amazed to see what Dash Jr., Biggs and Corran were already capable of. With a smile, he raised his hand and grabbed the helmet with the Force before levitating it back onto the shelf where it belonged to the triplets' howls of protest.
"Hello, Nomi. Hello, sweeties," he said and sat down at the small table, opposite the pregnant woman. "Your sons are really very strong in the Force."
The triplets pouted at the Jedi who thwarted their plan. Luke laughed and poured himself a mug of caf. After the first sip, he sat back and looked at Dash, who had sat down next to his wife, with a more serious expression.
"We have to make sure they develop the way we want them to. It would be catastrophic if they served the dark side with that Force potential."
Then he turned his attention to Nomi and gently touched her unborn daughter with the Force.
"Your daughter also has an exceptionally strong presence in the Force. She will be equal to her brothers."
He took another sip of caf before continuing.
"I look forward to starting your children's training. Unfortunately, my sister Leia still refuses to use her talent. She rejects it as an inheritance from her hated father. I just can't understand her."
Dash looked at the chrono and stood up.
"Sorry, but I have to go now. Another combat drill is planned and I need to prepare my fighter."
After kissing his wife and sons, he went to the hangar bay.

Nomi took Luke's hand. It was his bionic hand, but she wasn't aware of it at that moment.
"I can understand your sister, Luke. She never told you what happened on the Death Star?"
The young Jedi shook his head and Nomi took a deep breath before continuing.
"Vader, her own father, tortured her. He had never known how close he had come to breaking her. A little longer and she would have told him everything he wanted to know. And he wanted to kill you. You lost a hand because of him."
Skywalker withdrew his right hand and looked at it.
"Your father caused you both so much suffering, Luke. It's understandable that Leia is unforgiving and refuses to be trained in the use of the Force."
Luke fought back tears as he spoke.
"From a certain point of view you are right, Nomi. Our father didn't know on the first Death Star that Leia was his daughter. He only found out a few minutes before he died on the second Death Star. At that time he had read my thoughts, which I couldn't hide from him. When he talked about turning Leia to the dark side, I lost my temper. The dark side whispered to me and I almost succumbed to its temptations," he paused for a split second before continuing. "Suddenly I was more powerful than I could ever have imagined. In that moment, I understood why my father had walked this dark path. I was about to become like him. But it wasn't just that. There was also the Emperor's enticing, wooing voice. You can't imagine the seductive power of that voice. It wasn't until my father lay beaten at my feet and I saw the stump of his severed right hand, with wires hanging from it, that I realized how close I had come to the dark side. What followed I already told you on Endor, Nomi."
Luke had regained his composure by the end of his story and took a sip of caf, which was now cold.

"I envy you your children, Nomi," he said with a sigh, looking at the triplets playing on the floor. "Will I ever have a wife and children? Leia has Han - I don't have anyone. I often feel very lonely, Nomi. Especially at night I become aware of my loneliness and the emptiness in my heart. Maybe that's the price I'll have to pay as a Jedi."
His gaze wandered into the distance. He seemed to have forgotten Nomi's presence as he continued to speak.
"I once loved and desired Leia as only a man could desire a woman. Her kiss on Hoth made me so happy and I still had hope that we could be a couple. When Ben told me Leia was my sister, I was glad there had never been more than that one kiss."
Nomi raised an eyebrow at the revelation that she hadn't realized Luke was in love with Leia at the time. She wondered why everyone confided in her.
"Why? Because you are a good listener," Luke answered her unspoken question. "And you can keep secrets."
The Rogue Squadron pilot stared at the Jedi.
"Damn it, Luke, don't do that to me!"
Skywalker looked at her innocently.
"What shouldn't I do to you?"
"What you just did. You read my mind. I don't want that. Promise me you'll never do that again," Nomi replied, still staring at her childhood friend.
"I'm sorry, Nomi, it happened unintentionally. I still can't master my skills that well. It won't happen again, I promise you."

At that moment, Dash walked in with Wedge and Gavin.
"Hey, sis, did you forget that you also have to participate in combat drills? Your pregnancy doesn't entitle you to neglect your duties. Get in your pilot's gear."
Nomi made a face at Gavin.
"You could have more respect for your big sister, Gavin," she said and stood up.
Dash and Wedge laughed.
"Gavin's right, darling, you're really late," Rendar finally said after he stopped laughing.
Luke stood up as well and headed for the door to leave while Nomi entered the bedroom to change into her pilot's gear.
"I should go too," the young Jedi said, opening the door. "See you later, my friends."
Then he left and made his way to his own quarters.
Shortly thereafter Nomi came out of the bedroom, dressed in her pilot's gear and took her helmet from the shelf.
"We can go now. Leebo will take care of the boys," Nomi Darklighter said with a smile, walking past the three men who had been waiting for her.
Together they made their way to the hangar where they climbed into their X-wings and took off for combat drill.