Chapter 94 - Justice at all Costs?

Nomi prepared to meditate and was about to turn off the monitor showing the Holonet News when an image caught her attention. It was Tycho Celchu in prison garb. She turned up the volume and heard that the trial was scheduled to begin in two standard days.
Nomi stared at the monitor, wondering why there was such a rush to bring Tycho to justice. Apparently they were trying to avoid the appearance that rebels and imperials were treated unequally when it came to prosecuting them for crimes they had committed.
The Jedi sighed. She still didn't believe that the Rogue Squadron pilot was a traitor and had murdered Corran Horn. Nomi was aware of Wedge Antilles' efforts to find evidence of Tycho's innocence, but unfortunately so far these have been in vain.
The young woman was sure that unless a miracle happened, he would be convicted of treason and murder. And for these crimes, even in the Alliance, there was only one punishment: death.

When Dash entered the room with the triplets in tow, his wife was still sitting in front of the monitor, lost in thoughts.
"Something happened?" He looked at her questioningly.
"Tycho's trial will begin in two standard days, Dash," Nomi answered, looking up at her husband.
"He's finally getting what he deserves," Rendar said, crossing his arms over his chest.
"I hope it will be a fair trial, Dash," his wife replied.
Hearing this, her husband gave her a look that would have melted durasteel.
"I don't understand you, Nomi. The man's guilty, that's for sure. Don't forget that I was Iceheart's prisoner because of him and what she did to me. He deserves death," he took a deep breath before continuing. "I'll volunteer when they assemble the firing squad. He will die for his betrayal and for Corran's assassination at my hands."
Nomi looked at her husband in disbelief. She had never seen such hatred in Dash's eyes before. It seemed to the Jedi that she was looking at a stranger.
"You scare me, Dash."
Rendar began pacing the room while the triplets followed their parents' conversation. They had no idea what the two were talking about and went to their own room.
"I scare you? You should be afraid of traitors like Tycho, Nomi. As long as people like him live, you and our children will never be safe."
He stopped in front of her and she looked him straight in the eyes.
"There's no evidence of Tycho's guilt, Dash. Corran's body was never found. What if he's alive and being held prisoner?" Nomi began in a calm voice. "Wouldn't it be terrible if after the execution Tycho turned out to be innocent? Think about it, Dash, you can't just sentence a man to death based on circumstantial evidence. If we did that, we'd be no better than the Empire."
Her husband couldn't bear her gaze any longer and avoided it.
"C'mon, Dash, sit down and think again," she said pointing to the chair next to her. "What evidence is there of Tycho's guilt?"
Dash complied. He found it difficult to believe that Tycho Celchu could be innocent. But for Nomi's sake, he wanted to consider if there was any evidence of the Rogue Squadron pilot's guilt, or if there was anything that could exonerate the man.

It took a while and Nomi waited patiently, but then she asked.
"Well?"
Dash slowly shook his head.
"I've to admit that there is no evidence. Kark, I'm not even sure anymore if he was the one who betrayed me to the Imps," he said and looked at his wife. "Only General Rieekan and Targeter knew about my mission. However, these two are beyond any doubt. If Tycho isn't the traitor, someone else must be."
When he realized what that could mean, he frowned.
"The traitor could still be in the ranks of Rogue Squadron, and our comrades could be in grave danger. I need to speak to Wedge immediately."
He jumped up, knocking the chair over, and rushed out of the door.
Nomi looked after him, glad that he was no longer inspired by revenge and could think clearly again.

The triplets were startled by the loud slamming of the door and ran into the living room. Nomi sensed their concern as they looked at her with their big brown eyes.
Biggs put his small hand on her arm.
"Why was Papa so angry, Mama?"
The Jedi looked at her son in astonishment. Biggs had said the first correct sentence, albeit slowly. She ran her hand through his unruly curls.
"Papa isn't angry. You know, Biggs, sometimes your father can't deny that he's been hanging out with smugglers and mercenaries for almost half his life. If you want to survive in such a society, you have to be like this."
She smiled as she remembered how Dash came into her life at Chalmun's Spaceport Cantina. He'd thought he'd found it easy to intimidate her until a look down the muzzle of her blaster convinced him otherwise. Oh yes, they were cast to the same pattern. She knew how to defend herself vigorously. Once you messed with her, you never tried it a second time. But this Corellian mercenary and smuggler was unlike any man she had met before him. Somehow he managed to impress her. When he kissed her shortly afterwards, she fell in love with him.
"Papa isn't angry."
Biggs' voice snapped her out of her thoughts and she looked at her sons lovingly.
"No, your father wasn't really angry, little ones. He's just worried about us and our comrades from Rogue Squadron."
Dash Jr. climbed onto his mother's lap and wrapped his arms around her neck.
"Papa mustn't worry about us, Mama. We are Jedi," the little boy said before kissing his mother's cheek.
Biggs and Corran took Nomi's hands and smiled at her.
"We are Jedi," both said almost simultaneously.
"Yes, you three and your sister are Jedi," their mother replied. "But you still have much to learn before you can properly call yourselves Jedi Knights."
She was excited about this next step in her children's development, but at the same time she regretted that Dash missed this moment.