Chapter 60 - A Surprising Present

A few days later, Nomi took the triplets to her favorite spot near Yoda's hut. There she sat under a tall tree. Corran slept in her arms while Dash Jr. and Biggs crawled and explored their surroundings. As always, she felt the deep peace of this place.

Nomi watched her two sons and smiled while rocking her youngest. Suddenly the young woman heard soft footsteps slowly approaching. Shifting the boy slightly, she drew her blaster and aimed in the direction the footsteps were approaching.
She didn't know why she was so nervous. Maybe it was because the children were with her. To her relief, she saw that it was Dash coming out of the thicket. She immediately lowered the blaster, engaged the safety, and holstered it.
"Hey honey, did you point your blaster at your beloved husband?" Dash Rendar asked, picking up his eldest son and sitting next to his wife.
Nomi giggled and leaned in and kissed him.
"If you sneak up on an Alliance fighter, you risk getting shot, Dash," she replied.
Her husband returned the kiss.
"Yes, you're right, it was unreasonable of me. But this is a peaceful planet."
"You never know, you could have been a bounty hunter."
Nomi winked at Dash.
"Better safe than sorry," she said, rocking Corran, who was now awake."Why are you here?"
Rendar sat Dash Jr. on the ground, unhooked an object from his belt and handed it to his wife.
"Luke sent me. He asked me to give you this."
Corran wriggled out of Nomi's arms and followed Dash Jr. who crawled over to Biggs.
Nomi took the object and knew immediately it was a lightsaber. She raised an eyebrow and looked questioningly at her husband.
"He said you'd need it one day," Dash replied with a shrug.
His pregnant wife stared at the legendary Jedi weapon in her hands. She stood up slowly and pressed the switch. With a hiss, a blue blade of pure energy appeared. The lightsaber hummed softly.
When the triplets heard the sound, they looked over at their mother and pointed to the blade. They seemed to be fascinated by it and the eerie light it cast on Nomi's face.
"Where does Luke get the idea that I need a lightsaber? I'm not a Jedi, Dash."
Her husband looked at her thoughtfully.
"I'm not sure. My survival thanks to your help..."
Nomi didn't let him finish the sentence.
"Damn it, Dash, you're talking nonsense. Just because our children are Force sensitive doesn't mean I'm the same. Give the saber back to Luke, I have no right to carry it. Tell him I don't want it," she said, pressed the switch and the blue blade disappeared.
Dash didn't know what to do now. When he got the saber from Skywalker, the Jedi made it very clear how important it was to train Nomi to use it. The ex-mercenary sighed.
"I think you'd better tell him yourself, Nomi. He will be disappointed that you refuse his present."
"You're right, I'll tell him myself. Where can I find Luke?" His wife asked while tucking the lightsaber hilt into her belt.
"In his quarters, I suppose," Dash replied, standing up.
"Good, see you later, Dash."
Nomi smiled at her husband before turning her attention to the triplets, who were covered in mud. They had taken advantage of their parents' inattentiveness to make a mess.
"You and Leebo should bathe them."
Then she turned to leave but her husband took her arm.
"Do me a favor, Nomi, please stay calm when you're talking to Luke. Don't throw the saber at the poor boy's feet or at his head."
"Hey, you know me," his wife replied, winking at him and shaking his hand off.
"That's why, sweetheart," Dash said with a grin and walked over to his sons.
Nomi made a face and left the clearing towards the base.

When the young woman reached the base, she went to Luke's quarters and knocked on the door. It opened with a hiss and she saw the young Jedi sitting cross-legged on the floor.
"Come in, Nomi, I've been expecting you," Luke said, standing up and walking over to the small table where he poured his friend a mug of tea.
Nomi entered the room and closed the door behind her. Then she approached Luke.
"Do you know why I came to you?"
Luke nodded and pointed to the lightsaber hilt she had tucked into her belt.
"Yes, Nomi, I know. Please take a seat."
The pregnant woman sat down and Luke pushed the mug of tea over.
"You came to me about my gift that I sent with Dash," the Jedi continued. "You are here to tell me that you aren't worthy of carrying and wielding the weapon of the Jedi Knights."
Nomi nodded her head and took a sip of tea. Skywalker smiled at her, steepled his fingers and leaned back in his seat.
"Well, you don't have to be a Jedi to wield a lightsaber, my friend. You are very skilled with a vibro knife and I'm sure you will be with a lightsaber too. It's important that you learn to handle it, Nomi."
The Rogue Squadron pilot looked at him questioningly.
"Why, Luke? Did you foresee something? What is it? Is my family at risk? Tell me please."
Skywalker sighed and leaned forward.
"The future is always in motion. It's difficult to see clearly what's going to happen. That's why I built the lightsaber for you, because you might need it. As you've probably noticed, it's very similar to mine. It's a good weapon and perfectly balanced. Please keep my present, Nomi. We can start training tomorrow. Dash agreed to my suggestion to train you."

Nomi wasn't entirely satisfied with her friend's answer. She felt there was more to Luke's eagerness to train her in lightsaber combat.
"You're keeping something to yourself. What is it, Luke?"
The young Jedi sighed again and poured himself a mug of tea. Nomi knew he was playing for time. But then he finally spoke.
"Don't ask, I...I can't tell you. Please trust me."
Nomi nodded her head slowly.
"You're my best friend and we've known each other since we were children - I trust you.
I hope you don't disappoint my trust in you. Teach me how to fight with a lightsaber and I promise to be an avid student."
She stood up and went to the door.
"I see you tomorrow, Luke."
Skywalker smiled at her.
"I'm glad you agreed. See you tomorrow," he said, waving his hand slightly and the door opened.
Nomi left and made her way to her quarters.

When she entered their quarters, Dash was waiting for her.
"The triplets are bathed and already asleep, darling," he said, looking at his wife. "I see you still have Luke's present with you and I'm glad you're keeping it."
Nomi sat down next to her husband.
"What did you discuss with Luke? And how did he manage to convince you to agree to lightsaber training?"
Dash Rendar shrugged and took her hand.
"Luke told me you need to learn how to use a lightsaber. You don't contradict a Jedi. Luke will have had reasons for his decision to build you a Jedi Knight's weapon."
Nomi rested her head on her husband's shoulder.
"I'm afraid of the future, Dash," she whispered. "Luke doesn't tell me anything, and I'm scared that something terrible is about to happen. Did he tell you something?"
Dash shook his head.
"No, darling, he didn't tell me what he saw in the future either. Promise me you'll learn to use a lightsaber. Maybe one day our life will depend on your skills."
"I promise, Dash," she replied, kissing him.

Yes, she had promised him, but her husband's last remark gave Nomi the impression that he was hiding something from her too. And she didn't like it at all.