Chapter 63 - Revelation

After three weeks of intensive training in the basics of lightsaber combat, the day had come when Nomi had to face the training remote for the first time.
Although she initially resisted, the young woman now had to admit that she was glad to be able to fight with this special weapon.

As she hooked the lightsaber hilt to her belt, Dash approached her and kissed her neck.
"I want to accompany you to training today," he whispered in his wife's ear. "I'm curious about your progress."
"You have to ask Luke if he'll let you watch," Nomi replied, taking her husband's hand. "But you can come with me."
Together they made the short walk to Luke's quarters and heard the sounds of the creatures that lived in the nearby swamp.
When they reached their destination, Nomi knocked on the door. It wasn't long before Luke opened the door. As usual, he was dressed all in black. The Jedi raised an eyebrow when he saw Dash standing next to Nomi.
"Hello, Nomi. Hello, Dash," he said, stepping out with a small bag in his hand and closing the door. "So you want to see your wife's progress, my friend?"
Rendar nodded his head.
"Of course, Luke," the ex-mercenary answered. "Nomi never allows me to watch her lightsaber practice. She makes a big secret out of it. I'm very curious to see how my wife handles this weapon and I hope that you will allow me to watch the training."
Skywalker smiled at his friend.
"I don't mind you watching, Dash," he answered and then turned his attention to Nomi.
"Today you compete against this training remote, Nomi."
He took the device out of the bag and showed it to his two friends. It was a small silver sphere with sensors and small openings on the surface.
"It will try to hit you with small laser beams," he continued. "Your task is to fend off these laser beams. There's no need to worry as it isn't dangerous. I adjusted the intensity so that a hit only causes a brief uncomfortable tingling sensation. Finally, I had to take into account that you are in the seventh month of your pregnancy. I don't want to risk anything happening to you or the child. Now get ready, Nomi."

The young Jedi activated the training remote and tossed it into the air, where it hovered and hummed softly.
Immediately, Nomi ignited the lightsaber and went into a fighting stance. As soon as the lightsaber's blue blade appeared, the remote came to life. It came at the young woman with lightning speed and fired a beam in her direction. But the remote wasn't fast enough. With the sureness of a sleepwalker, Nomi deflected the beam that was meant to hit her.
Dash watched his wife in awe while Luke watched her every move with a teacher's eye.
Fully concentrated, Nomi went back to the basic position and waited for the next attack. And
she shouldn't wait long. This time the device attacked her from behind. In the blink of an eye, she turned and blocked that attack.
Again and again the training remote tried to circumvent the young woman's defenses,
but without success.
After a while the time set by Luke was up and the remote floated over to him and deactivated. The Jedi looked at Nomi in disbelief, who deactivated her lightsaber as Dash walked over to her.
"How did you do that, Nomi?" Luke asked, staring at the training remote in his hand. "When I first faced such a device under Obi-Wan's supervision, I was hit more than once. And not only that, I also had to endure Han's mockery."
Nomi shrugged and rested her head on Dash's chest.
"I don't know, Luke," she answered. "Somehow I knew where the training remote would attack next. Maybe it's the instincts of a seasoned fighter."
Luke looked at her thoughtfully.
"It could be, but maybe it's something else. If you're not too tired, I'd like to try something. I have a hunch and I want to know if I'm right."
Nomi turned and cast a glance at her husband who nodded slightly.
"No, I'm not tired," she answered with a smile.
When he heard that, Luke went to his quarters and returned shortly thereafter with a helmet with an opaque visor.
"I want you to wear this helmet," he said and held out the helmet to Nomi.
The young woman shook her head and looked to Dash for support. But Dash only saw the welcome opportunity to finally get confirmation of his suspicion and remained silent.
"But then I'm completely blind," Nomi finally said. "I can't fight wearing this helmet, Luke."
"That's exactly what I want to find out. Put the helmet on and we'll see what happens."