Chapter 6: See you again

Pov y/n

The following days have a very similar routine. I'm at the shop for my shift from 7:30 am until 1 pm. Jesse and I get along great, not just when it comes to the job. We do make a good team and work quite fast but I also like him as a person. He's calm and funny at the same time. We joke around a little when only a few guests are in the shop.

I spent my afternoons just strolling around, trying to remember the surroundings around my hotel and some street names so I don't have to be guided by my phone all the time.
The park is actually quite nice and I find it calming to look at the little lake and watch the goldfish swim around.

I also did a bit of research and if I have enough money, I can buy a membership card to the swimming pool I went to three days ago. If I had enough money, I could also rent a small place but I can't. Not yet at least, I won't give up the hope to find a second part time job and have enough money in total to rent a place.
What I did do though, was looking up free apartments around this neighborhood, after all I still work close to here. There were some nice places but I can't afford them yet.

Today is the fourth day of work and Thursday. I don't necessarily have to work on the weekend but if I want to, I can. I didn't plan on doing it this weekend but maybe the one after that. It pays a few more hours of loan so why not?

Right now I'm standing behind the counter, serving a customer. Behind him there are three more but after that the first morning rush should be over.

Suddenly my phone vibrates in my back pocket and I almost jump at the feeling. I was so caught up in my work that I forgot that I had my phone on me. And besides, I get barely any messages during work.
The people I chat with more regular, who aren't a lot, know by now that I'm currently working. But since it only vibrated one time, I know it wasn't someone calling me. I don't expect any calls but maybe there could have been an emergency.

My attention snaps back to the customer and I continue working on his order.
A few more people come in and I have my hands full with work. Jesse and I pass each other behind the counter as we both need something from the other end of it and smile at each other before putting back on the customer smile.

Half an hour later, it finally calms down and I let my eyes sweep around the shop to see if I'm needed anywhere before I wipe off the counter and lean against it, keeping an eye on the door and the seated customers.
I pull my phone out of my back pocket and unlock it. An unknown number messaged me. For a few seconds I'm very confused until I open the chat and a smile appears on my face.

Hey, it's Scarlett, from the train. Rose asked to see you again to color some more underwater pictures with you and I also would like to know how life in New York is for you. You don't have to take the offer but if you want to see us again, just text me when you're free.

My thumbs hover over the letters while I chew on my lip, thinking about what to write back. Honestly, I thought she wouldn't text me at all and I totally would have understood that. I'm just a random person she met on a train and who colored with her daughter. I thought she just let me gave her my number to be polite or to prevent Rose from complaining.

The first two days after we met I kind of hoped she would text me but yesterday I gave that hope up. The more I'm now surprised to see her message, she was probably just busy until now. Or did she maybe just text me because Rose wanted to color again?
Well, she did say she also wanted to know how I am but that could just be a friendly phrase. Maybe she also just hopes I would decline her offer? But why ask me then?

I'm brought back to reality by a hand on my shoulder and look at Jesse.
"Could you clean the now empty tables while I take care of the customers?" He asks friendly and I just now notice that there are people standing in line. I nod instantly and close my phone, putting it back into my jeans pocket.
The tables are soon cleaned and the customers have their orders.