Chapter 60: Grave

TW: Grief 

Pov y/n

During breakfast the next day, Bennett tells us that after yesterday, he decided to go to the lake to practice his skills in ice skating.
Marla immediately says she wants to come with him because it for sure will be funny to watch.

Rose also wants to go with them and after a quick talk with Scarlett, Marla and Bennett promise to keep Rose safe while Rose promises to listen to them. Mom wants to visit one of her friends that was alone over Christmas, since her children live too far away.
That leaves Scarlett and me to do whatever we want.

After breakfast, we wrap up Rose in her warm clothes and wave when she goes off with Marla and Bennett, who only found his old skates in the basement but they fit Rose, so they'll try that. Mom also says goodbye and Scarlett and I close the door behind her.

"What are we gonna do today?" She asks and softly wraps her arms around my waist.

"How about I show you the city a little bit?" I offer and she nods happily, pecking my lips.

"Sounds like a good plan." She agrees and I smile.

We promised to take care of the dishes after breakfast, so that's what we do first and after that we clean the kitchen surfaces until it's all clean again.

Scarlett's phone vibrates and she looks at it, her expression turning annoyed when she looks at it and she excuses herself to make a quick call.
I let her go and go back into the living room, seeing if there's anything I could clean up.
But it's all clean, so I just step to the fireplace and look at the picture of me that Scarlett liked so much yesterday.

What she said about me potentially carrying our child makes me more excited than it should be. We're together for two and a half months, it's definitely too soon to think about children of our own.
My eyes linger on the picture for a few more seconds until they move around and settle on another picture. I step closer and look at it.

It shows Marla, Bennett and me on our living room couch with me between them. Behind us there are Mom and Dad, their hands resting on the backrest and we all beam into the camera.
I remember that day very well. It was for a project for one of Bennett's classes back then. It was about family and heritage and he should bring a family portrait and since we didn't have one until then, we took one the next day. The twins must have been around ten at that time. Mom looks so incredibly happy and so does Dad.

My finger gently traces over the picture and his face, he always loved Christmas and to spend the day with all of us.
I press my lips together as the well known sadness tries to creep up on me.
When I hear Scarlett coming down the stairs, I turn around to look at her. As soon as she sees my face, she hurries to get to me and cups my face.

"What's the matter, angel?" She asks softly and I chew on the inside of my cheek.

"Do you think it's possible...to visit my Dad's grave?" I silently ask and look down at my hands that play with the hem of her hoodie, afraid she might think it'd be weird.

"Of course, my love. Do you want me to be with you?" She asks softly and I look up at her, almost expecting to see hesitation in her eyes but there isn't.

"You would want to come with me?" I ask and search her eyes. She nods.

"Yes. But only if that's okay with you. If it's too personal, I fully understand that." She says and I lean a little into her one hand.

"I would like it if you came with me." I answer, my voice still silent.

"Then it'll be my honor." She says and leans forward to give me a soft kiss.
Her lips are warm and soft and feel just right on mine. When we pull away, she tugs a strain of hair behind my ear.