Chapter 86: Horse back riding

Pov y/n

Around noon on Sunday, Lizzie brings Rose back to us and we spend a calm day together, playing board games and just relaxing.

Tomorrow, Scarlett and Lizzie both have to work again, so Rose and I will spend some time alone.
Since she has a lot of energy, as children do, Scarlett and I decided on something active for the day, so Rose can spend some of that energy.

It's a surprise for Rose, so the next morning, we get into the car and Rose tries to guess where we're going but I put on a poker face and just shrug.
Even though Scarlett has a car here, she offered for us to use her driver because she has to use the car herself to drive to set.
I agreed, honestly a little relieved because I wasn't in the mood to drive around a city I don't know at all.

Rose looks out the window after several guesses and suddenly her eyes grow big and she squirms a little in her seat. I smile at the sight.

"We're gonna pet horses?" She asks excited and looks from the window to me. I nod and grin a little.

"Yes and we will even ride them if you want to." I tell her and her eyes grow even bigger and she claps her hands.

"Yes! I want to!" She cheers and looks back outside, her little body not able to stay still in excitement.

We arrive and get out of the car. Rose jumps up and down in excitement and I can tell she wants to run around, so I reach out my hand for her and she takes it. I really don't need to lose her anywhere.
A woman approaches us with a wide smile.

"Hello and welcome. I'm Susan and this is my farm." She introduces herself and Rose beams up at her.

"Hello Susan, I am Rose." She says and holds out her hand. Susan smiles softly and shakes Rose's hand.

"Nice to meet you, I'm y/n." I introduce myself and shake her hand as well.

"You're here today for some horseback riding?" She asks and I nod in confirmation and Rose cheers.

"Can we also pet the horses?" Rose asks with a happy smile and Susan chuckles a bit.
"Of course you can." She says and Rose tugs on my hand in excitement. I smile down at her and ruffle her hair a little bit.

"Let me show you the horses then." Susan says and gestures behind her towards a big farmhouse.

We follow her as she leads us around the house and to a meadow with a few horses on it but they are too far away to get a closer look.
But just seeing them is enough for Rose to point to them, making sure I see them as well.

"I think we should start with one horse." Susan says and I nod. "Maybe later we can get you both one and ride a little around the forest nearby."

"Can I go first? Please?" Rose asks and looks from Susan to me. I nod and smile.
"Of course, sweetie, whatever you want." I agree and Susan nods and walks through a little gate onto the meadow to get a horse.

We watch her and I feel a bit of nervousness rising up inside me.
I never took riding lessons and have basically no clue.
The last time I sat on a horse, I was five or so and it was going slowly in a circle, so nothing really big.
I am not just a bit nervous for me but also for Rose. I won't show or express it towards her but I am worried something will happen and she will get hurt.
I don't know, fall off the horse or get kicked by it or it runs off with her.

Okay, deep breaths, I'm getting a bit irrational here. We are not alone, we have Susan with us and she will take care of Rose as well and she knows what she's doing.
Scarlett actually suggested this farm because she learned here how to ride a horse herself when she was a kid, probably by a relative of Susan's then.