Chapter 36: Lizzie

Pov y/n 

I breathe in and lean my elbows on the counter, resting my head in my hands. We just had a lot and I really mean a lot of customers in the coffeeshop. Jesse and I had both hands full with work and I think we never were faster in making coffee but somehow it was still not enough.
Where did they all magically come from?

I don't know. It's good when we have customers and earn money, of course but when it's so many and all stressed from whatever job they're doing, it is certainly no fun.
They weren't patient to begin with and it didn't help that those people vocally made clear they are annoyed.

I mean, I get that you can have a bad day and be annoyed and also be stressed by work but in my opinion it doesn't give you the right to yell at someone who's doing their best to get you your coffee. Yelling in general isn't something I like, it just makes me feel uncomfortable and small, something I truly dislike.

I run my hand through my hair before I tighten my ponytail. Jesse looks as exhausted as I feel and I give him a weak smile. Only an hour more before our shift ends.
Luckily, I don't have to work at the aquarium today. It's closed for some reason that I already forgot again. Something about an inspection and paperwork or so. Doesn't matter though because then I have a free afternoon and can calm down from the stress this morning. Besides, I get to spend the afternoon with Scarlett, which definitely is a win.

As soon as I heard about my free Thursday afternoon, I texted her and she was really happy for me and asked if I wanted to spend the day with her and Rose. I agreed in an instant and when she added we'll be joined by a friend of hers, I got excited.

Even though we've known each other for almost three months now, I never met any of her friends. We talked a little about them at some point, I think but it wasn't a long conversation, I think. She didn't want to tell me who this friend is because she wants to surprise me. I'm fine with that but it still makes me a little nervous because I really want her friend to like me.

Why?
Well, maybe because sometimes friends have a better sense in who is right for you and who isn't and I'm worried this friend might doesn't see me as the right fit for Scarlett, especially after the gossip.
I don't know how much her friend is involved in Hollywood-gossip but if they are just a little, they will know about what is said about Scarlett's and my relationship. Of course, that doesn't define me, or us but it still may give an subconscious impression or something.

I'm starting to spiral again, so I take a deep breath and stand up straight again, stretching my arms out. Jesse looks at me, seeming to admire my free will to move since he doesn't seem to have it.
He suppresses a yawn that makes me a little suspicious. Yes, this amount of customers is stressful and exhausting but not enough to yawn. I narrow my eyes at him, trying to figure out what's different. Then I notice the sleeping bags beneath his eyes and frown a little.

"Are you okay, you seem like you didn't sleep enough last night?" I observe and a blush overcomes Jesse's face.

"I'm perfectly fine, don't worry." He says and stands up as well. I slowly shake my head and a smirk evolves on my lips that makes him blush even harder.

"Why didn't you get enough sleep last night?" I ask, the smirk now present on my face. He looks around the shop to see if anyone is near us, before he leans a little closer.

"You remember my almost-boyfriend?" He asks with a mischievous grin. I nod, of course I do.

"Well, we might have changed our relationship status yesterday on our date. And well, after that he came with me back to my apartment..." He trails of a little and I look at him in surprise but also happy. I wiggle my eyebrows and his face turns red again, giving me an answer to my silent question.