Chapter 57: School problems

TW: Injuries

Pov y/n

Scarlett and I glance at each other every once in a while and every time, I smile afterwards and so does she.
She's currently in the coffeeshop again, doing her usual Wednesday work and visit.

It became a habit that she visits on Wednesdays and I really enjoy having her here.

Now, that my days here are counted, I almost get a little sentimental. This was my first job in New York and it grew on me. It might not pay a lot of money but it was still fun and I loved every chat Jesse and I had.

After signing the contract on Monday, I told Jesse about it and he looked like he wanted to cry.
We hugged and he asked me to promise him to stay in contact. I did so, after all, he was there for me through every stage of Scarlett becoming my girlfriend and I really appreciate that.
Besides, I need my gay gossip and he has a lot of that.

I'm a little sad that this will be one of the last days I'll work here, since Christmas is just around the corner and over the holidays, I'll be home with Scar and Rose and in January, my new job starts.

I also already told the aquarium and Mr. Jackson was very happy for me, as he was the one who suggested the job. Since the aquarium works on some projects together with the organization I'm gonna work for, I'll probably see him a few times.
But I probably won't see my coworkers anymore and I will also miss to walk around the aquarium as it always gave me a feeling of really being underwater.
But I'm trying to enjoy my last few days and to make the best out of it.

The coffeeshop is relatively empty and it's calm while Jesse and I restock some things.
When I next glance over to Scarlett, she smiles at me, which I return but then the ringing of her phone interrupts us.

She looks at the number and seems a little irritated but takes the call.
Due to the distance, I can't hear what's going on but it can't be good as she starts to frown and her face drops a little.
Suddenly her eyes dart to me and she says something on the phone.
I'm a little confused by her eyes on me as she speaks but continue my work. When she hangs up, she runs a hand through her hair and gets up to approach me.

"What happened?" I ask and look over her face that shows a mix of concern and stress.

"Rose got into a fight at school." She explains and I feel the color draining from my face.

"Oh my god, is she okay?" I ask and Scar nods.

"I think so. They told me to come there to speak to the principal and pick up Rose." She informs me and I nod in understanding.

"Okay, good luck with that." I say but she shakes her head.

"Rose apparently insisted on us both being there." She tells me and I look at her in surprise.
I'm not Rose's real mother, I actually don't really have anything to say in this matter.

"She wanted me there?" I ask again and Scar nods.

"She said, and I quote what the secretary told me Rose said 'I want Mama there as well or I won't talk.'. Apparently, she made a fuss about it and the secretary gave in." She confirms and I raise my eyebrows.

"That doesn't sound like Rose. I mean, she does have a lot of energy and stuff but she usually isn't really fussy about anything." I think out loud and Scar hums in agreement.

"Are you able to come with me?" She asks and her eyes tell me that she is a little overwhelmed with this situation herself. I look around the shop a little helplessly.

"I don't know if I can just leave, it's the middle of my shift." I say and my eyes dart back to Scarlett. She nods slowly in understanding.

"Is your boss there? Maybe I can talk to her?" She suggests and I am surprised by that but nod and point behind me.