Chapter 77: Just keep swimming

Pov y/n 

"Mama!"

I quickly turn around to see Rose approaching me.
She looks like she wants to run but since we're in an indoor pool, running is not allowed here and she just walks quickly. I crouch down to be on the same height and her arms wrap around my neck, hugging me tightly.
I wrap my arms around her back and hug her back.
It may only have been two weeks since I last saw her but it feels like a way too long time. When she lets go of me, she smiles happily at me.

"I'm back from vacation." She tells me and I brush over her tied up hair.

"I can see that, sweetie, and I am very happy to see you again. I missed you." I reply honestly and she smiles and nods.

"I missed you too. You would have had so much fun in Canada. We went sledging but the hill was higher than in the park, so the way was longer. It was so much fun and it went so fast!" She tells me excitedly. I chuckle at her excitement and get back up.

"You can tell me all about it in a bit, okay? Let's just get in the water first because I'm getting a little cold." I suggest and she nods.

It's Friday and I had my diving training today, so it fitted perfectly to meet with Rose for another swimming lesson.
Ever since I was here with her for the first time, we had multiple sessions where we slowly worked our way towards her being able to swim.
It was always a lot of fun and I looked forward to every single time.
Rose improved over time and I think we are close to our goal of her swimming all by herself without any floaties.

I look from where she came, seeing who brought her but I don't see anyone.
"Who brought you here, Rosie?" I ask as we enter the water in which she is still able to stand. Rose looks to where she came from.

"Dad's girlfriend. She drove me here and waited for me to change and then I came into here." She tells me, shrugging as if she doesn't care and she probably doesn't really but I do.

Who let's a child go to the pool all by herself without waiting until they see the person who will look after the child? What if I wasn't here already or still in my diving training?
Rose would have been here alone and if it comes to worst, she could have fallen into the pool.

I mean, there is a lifeguard here but still, it's irresponsible and makes me want to yell at her dad's girlfriend. But I take a deep breath and push that thought away, this is not relevant anymore.

Rose splashes around the water a little, giggling to herself.
As so often, she wears her yellow bathing suit with white dots. She also has a pair of goggles on her head, so the water won't sting in her eyes. I kneel down, so my whole upper body isn't out of the water.
Rose splashes around a little more before turning to me.

"Can I tell you more about the vacation now?" She asks and bites her lip in excitement. I smile and nod.

"Go ahead, little dolphin." I encourage her and she claps inside the water, splashing some at me and giggling. I pretend to be offended and she giggles even more.

"When we went sledging, I was so fast, I was almost scared I would tip over but I didn't. But I had to pull the sledge back up all by myself because Dad and his girlfriend didn't want to ride with me, they took pictures of the nature around and themselves." She almost sounds a little dismissive and I understand that.

"We stayed at a hotel and I had my own room. There was a door to Dad's room but I still had my own. And there was a huge bed inside, just for me." She tells me, her eyes sparkling at the memory and she stretches her arms to the side to show me how big the bed was. I smile a little and nod for her to go on.