Chapter 13: Second job and apartment

Pov y/n

I look outside the window while I'm on my way to the aquarium, this will be my first day there and I'm more than excited but also a little nervous.

Over the weekend, I read the information sheets Mr. Jackson sent me about the fish they have there to be fully prepared.
This morning when I was working my shift at the coffeeshop, I wasn't nervous at all but now it all rises up.

I'm not nervous because I think I will do any huge mistakes, more because it's one step further into my life in New York.

The break between my shift at the coffeeshop and at the aquarium is just enough for me to get to the next location. I can take the subway but it still takes a while.
The time I spend on the subway is used for a small lunch break and some nervous thoughts.

Before my shift starts, I will sign my working contract today and with that it's settled that I have another income. That makes me calmer for Wednesday, when I have my apartment visit, knowing that I can actually afford that place.

After a few more minutes, I arrive at my station and get out to walk the rest of the way.

I try to avoid the sun because it's pretty hot today and I don't need to arrive there all sweaty.

When the conditioned air of the aquarium surrounds me, I sigh happily and approach Mr. Jackson who is waiting for me. We greet each other and then he leads me into his office again.
I skim the contract before I sign it and Mr. Jackson welcomes me into the team.
He shows me to the staff room and tells me which locker I can use.
I will also find a shirt in there that I am supposed to wear so people know I'm working for the aquarium.
He leaves me alone and I go to one of the changing rooms to put on the shirt. It fits and I stuff my bag in the locker before going outside again.

"One of your colleges is going to give a tour in about five minutes. How about you join them, so you get to know the facilities and the different aquariums?" Mr. Jackson suggests and I nod in agreement.

"Alright, I will do that." I say and he nods, telling me to meet him back at the entrance after that.

I walk back out and orientate myself for a few seconds before I see one of my co-workers, a few people already standing close to her. She smiles at me when I approach her.

"Hey, I'm y/n, I'm new here and am supposed to watch you give a tour." I introduce myself with a smile. She holds out her hand for me.

"Nice to meet you, I'm Stephanie but you can call me Steph." She says and we shake hands.

"It's your first day here?" She asks and I nod.

"Yeah, signed the contract today and now I need to get to know the building a little so I don't get lost." I explain and Steph chuckles a little.

"Yeah, it's quite big. I got a little lost on my first day here as well. Luckily the signs helped me." Steph recalls the memory and I grin at her, she seems really nice.

Before I can say anything else, she is asked a question by a visitor and I respectfully step back, not wanting to listen in on their conversation.
Around two minutes later, Steph starts the tour and I follow the little crowd.

Within seconds I'm caught by the atmosphere of this place and marvel at the huge tanks with fish in them.
It takes me right back to my few times diving and my college courses and reminds me how much I missed this.

I only listen partly to what Steph says since I know all of that myself but take notice where she stops and try to remember it.
After we move away from the first spot, I see a big dot on the ground, that says 'first view point'.
Alright, so I don't have to remember the spots and just stop at the dots.

The Stranger on the TrainOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara