Chapter 8: Second job

Pov y/n 

Jesse nudges my shoulder, bringing me back to reality. The smirk on his face tells me he won't let it be and I'm right.

"Were you thinking about her?" He asks, emphasizing the word 'her', implying he knows which woman is the main source of my thoughts right now.
I blush a little and wave it off but he doesn't let it go, wanting to hear everything.

"Was it the one who came in here yesterday with her daughter? The one you ended up sitting next to?" He asks and wiggles his eyebrows. My face heats up again, which is answer enough for him.

"Did you do anything after you joined her at that table?" He asks and leans against the counter, his eyes sparkling with excitement.
I chuckle a little at his reaction but smile, it feels nice to have someone being interested in your life.

"We stayed a little longer and I drew with her daughter. After that we went to the park. First to the playground and then to the lake. We talked and I played with her daughter. When we left the park, it was already getting a little late and she said they will go home now because her daughter will get tired and fuzzy soon. So, we said good-bye and parted ways." I shrug it off but Jesse's eyes grew with each piece of information. He almost squeals in excitement.

"That was an unofficial date!" He states but before he can say anything else, I point towards the door where new customers walk through.
He gives me a look that tells me that this talk isn't over yet and turns around to the customers. While he serves them, I clean some tables and think about his words.

Was yesterday a date?
I mean, I didn't see it as one. We were just casually spending some time together.
Besides, for a date there need to be some kind of feelings on both sides, in the best case. And I'm not sure that was the case yesterday and to top it off, her daughter was with us, that pretty much declines it from being a date.
Also, why would a woman like her go on a date with me? She could literally have anybody.
I shake my head and return back to the counter where Jesse waits for me.

"It wasn't a date, no matter if official or not. We were just hanging around and before you say something, her daughter was with us, so..." I argue and he taps his chin in thought.

"Hanging around can be seen as a date though. But the point with her daughter is fair. I mean, you can also have a date with your kid around but that's uncommon. Okay, fair enough I guess. But the most important question is: did something happen?" He asks and smirks. I roll my eyes at him but smile.

"Nothing. Apart from talking, we didn't do anything." I tell him, trying to hide the slight disappointment over it, now that I'm thinking about it.

Rose hugged me when we said goodbye but that's it. Scarlett and I only smiled at each other and said goodbye.
I wouldn't have minded it when she would have hugged me as well but first, I want her to be comfortable with that and second, I might would have had a gay panic then and I don't need to embarrass myself in front of her.
So maybe, it's not that bad after all.

Jesse nods in thought. "But would you want it to be more?" He asks, looking at me.

I shrug. "I don't know. I mean, hugging each other after knowing someone for not even a week seems a little...rushed?" I try to explain my feelings. Jesse nods first but then shakes his head.

"That's not quite what I meant. Of course, being comfortable with physical touch takes time but I mean, do you want, whatever it is between you two, to be more?" He specifies his question and I chew on my lip, thinking about his question.

Do I want to be more to Scarlett than an acquaintance? Yes, I do but what kind of more? Do I want to be her friend? Well, yes I would like that, she seems great as a friend. But is that all I want?