Chapter 68: Sick

Pov y/n 

I wake up feeling tired and too warm. The blanket above me isn't helping with the warmth but it feels so nice to cuddle into. I don't wanna get up at all, so I decide to just stay in bed. The other half of the bed is empty and I sigh a little, wishing Scarlett was still here, so I could cuddle into her. She's probably downstairs, preparing breakfast or taking Rose to her dad because it's dad-weekend. I turn to lay on my back and stare up at the ceiling, recalling yesterday.

I was super excited for work because it was planned to do the first 'trip' since I started working there. We stayed in New York, so it wasn't really a trip but we didn't stay inside our building and went to look at waters and collect samples.
It's for the project Brooke and I are working on, so she went with me.
I had this vision of me diving in the ocean and seeing so many fish down there but that's not quite what we did.

Sure, maybe or hopefully one day I'll go diving in the actual ocean but yesterday wasn't that day.
We drove to a park, a little outside of the city to collect water samples of the lakes there and to note down which fish are in there.
I was still excited for it because it was my first time doing this. Brooke also was in a great mood and we had a lot of fun on our way there and joked around a lot. We bought long wetsuits with us because it's January and almost freezing.

The snow melted the last few days and now there's only this slush kind of snow at some spots. The temperature hasn't gone up a lot though, so it's still really cold.
Since I'm new to my job, I didn't want to complain about it and Brooke seemed to be alright with it as well, so I just waved it off.
After all, we wanna continue working on this project and therefore we need the samples and notes.

We changed back at the office and put our daily outfits over the wetsuits. It felt honestly kinda cool to put tape up around the smaller lakes, so people wouldn't disturb us during work.
When it was time to get out of our clothes, I wasn't too happy about it because even though those wetsuits are keeping us warm, it is still really cold when it's freezing temperatures.
We put on our water shoes since the lakes aren't very deep and we should be able to stand everywhere.

I hissed a little bit when we entered the water because dang that was freaking cold.
Within seconds I got goosebumps all over my body and wished to be back in the car with the heating and my warm clothes.
A few people looked what we were doing but since it was in the morning, the park wasn't very busy.
The deeper we went into the lake, the colder it got and I bit my lip when we went deep enough for the water to touch my private parts.

Brooke wasn't unfazed either, she pressed her lips together and I think one time she let out a little curse. But we did our job and collected samples and noted down which fish we could see.
Luckily, we only had to do that with two lakes and while walking to the second one, we wrapped ourselves in big towels to keep a bit warm.
I know, it sounds crazy that we did it in winter but it was our own decision because we wanted to work on this project.

The regret may was there though when we went inside the lake but I think we did pretty good. We got everything we needed and hurried back to the car to dry off and put on the spare clothes we brought. On the way back to the office, we bought tea and coffee to warm ourselves up and once we got into the office, we were quick to change into dry clothes, followed by drinking even more hot liquids.

Scarlett wasn't thrilled when I told her about it.
Of course, she was happy for me that I had my first project were I got to go outside and collect information and stuff but she was also a bit worried because it's so cold outside.
When I got home yesterday, she made me lots of tea to make sure I was warm enough and wouldn't catch a cold.
Rose was excited to hear about my job and I happily told her all about it when we sat on the couch after dinner.