ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 28

𝕬voiding Sirius Black had to be the easiest yet hardest task I've ever had to do

𝕬voiding Sirius Black had to be the easiest yet hardest task I've ever had to do. It's been a week since I've spoken to him since our fight in the middle of the corridor when he had put the two Slytherins in hospital. When you're avoiding one Marauder, you technically are avoiding all of them, though I had been walking with James a bit to lessons when he would come and find me to give me food or tables and water. Months ago I would have hated it, someone on mg back making sure I was eating, drinking and sleeping but now it warmed my heart because James stuck to his promise and I believe him.

He's not going anyway. He's here to stay.

Noelle had been balancing her time between Remus and I, not wanting me to be alone a lot, but I had Regulus and I rather liked being alone, in my own company. I've always been alone as long as I can remember, it makes no difference now when I'm sixteen then it did when I was six. I'd spent more time in my corner in the library, in my dorm and on the quidditch pitch, taking my anger out on the hoops I had broken numerous times from hauling the quaffle too hard, meaning I had to fix it myself many times.

I either sat with Regulus at meal times or I didn't turn up at all and snuck to the kitchens where the house elves made me some dinner. It was hard if I admitted it truthfully. Yes, I was annoyed at Sirius for what he did but i'd grown use to his presence being around me, the day before the whole fight we had been sending each other notes in class, laughing hysterically. And now we weren't speaking again. And it hurt. To flick between friends and enemies hurt, because I had to keep opening up and closing myself off again and freezing up my heart when he started to slowly melt the ice around it.

I sighed heavily, sat in the kitchens in my Slytherin sweatshirt and some sweatpants, my hair damp from when I just had a scolding hot, thoughtless shower, not bothering to dry it before I snuck through the halls to the kitchens for some coffee and food. I wasn't sleeping again. The dark circles around my eyes were evident of that. I glanced down to the pasta in my dish, trying to persuade myself to eat it, my eyes flickering to the lion ring on my finger when I drummed them down on the desk.

I glanced up when I heard the door open and shut, my breath hitching in my throat at the sight of the long haired boy soft from sleep in the same attire as me, just with a Gryffindor sweater, his hair tied back into a loose bun on the back of his head, a few wavy strands framing his face. We stared at each other for a few moments, neither of us knowing what to do.

Sirius stood frozen around the doorway of the kitchen, spotting the snow haired girl sat on one of the chairs by the table, a dish of untouched pasta in front of her. He'd just come down for some hot chocolate in hopes to get some sleep, having not slept well since their fight, his mind driving him insane. She'd been avoiding him- he'd been avoiding her too at first, but he couldn't bring himself to be mad after the first couple of days, especially now when she's here in front of him.

His heart wrenched in his chest at the sight of her pale face and unnerving gaze, her pink lips parted as she stared back, her snowy hair damp- she must have just had a shower he realises. He considers leaving, pretending it never happened, but his eyes flicker to the untouched pasta again and he found himself approaching her slowly, unsurely as though she was about to snap at him if he moves too quickly.