ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 48

"𝖂hat is that- that you're doing right now?" Effie questioned, sitting herself down on the couch beside me as I read my book on the dark arts, writing down useful information that could help me understand Tom Riddle more

"I'm just studying" I answered simply, lifting my head up and sending her a small smile, of which she easily returned, her head nodding in understanding.

"Forgive me, Mallory, I don't mean to pry into your life, but if there's anything I can do for you, you can always come to me. It must be quite difficult, I understand with everything that's going on at the moment out there, i'm here for you" She replied softly, my heart warming from her words when I shifted in my seat, my head nodding. I'm not sure what she would ever be able to do for me, but it's nice to hear those words and I can tell she means it.

"Dumbledore says i'm like him" I muttered, trailing my index finger over the page, her eyebrows furrowing, "Both of them, my father and this Voldemort. That's why I do this, if i'm like them, I can use to my advantage"

"That's awfully brave and helpful of you. Surely it would put a target on your back?" She asked hesitantly, concern and worry when she scanned over the girl's blank appearance. She's grown overly fond of her, having her around the manor throughout the Easter break, another one to add to the big family they wanted- especially now she was dating her honorary son.

"I think we both know he already knows my name" I responded nonchalantly, my eyes reassuring hers as they flickered between mine with bouts of worry, "I know how to handle these people, as you saw on the platform"

"It was a good punch" She chuckled, my hand stretching out as I hummed, my lips tugging up into a smile, "Why aren't you with the boys?"

"I thought I would give them some idiotic Marauder time, besides sometimes I need my own time" I answered, glancing back down to my book, knowing she was looking over the page as well. Parseltongue. I was back on researching parseltongue, Salazar was a parselmouth and Riddle is from his bloodline, therefore he's one too.

"You really like this dark stuff, don't you?" She observed, although she didn't sound disgusted or like she was judging me. She sound amused, much like Sirius is when I read and tell him about it, though most of it I don't think he's actually listening, or understands it, he just pretends to be.

"I've always found it fascinating....he always jokes about it, how I can understand and enjoy the dark arts and be awful at Astronomy when it's apparently the easiest subject" I commented with a roll of the eyes despite my smile, hearing her laugh, squeezing my arm lightly, "He lies, I'm telling you, there's no way he can know each constellation on a starry night and get it right. There's absolutely no way, he makes it up to trick me"

"It sounds like Sirius, he does like his stars though" She sighed softly, glancing up to the door when she heard pattering footsteps edging closer to the door, her eyebrow quirking at the sight of the long haired boy with a broom in his hand matched with a grin on his face. She looks down to the white haired girl who hasn't yet noticed of his arrival, causing her to turn back to her son, "I think she's busy"