Chapter Seven - One Eyed King

"What are you fighting for Melissa?" A jovial voice echoed throughout the darkness of the misty streets in the night.

Melissa Wargrave knew this voice. The voice of the rebel leader Mary Sue, she was one of the few people that Melissa simply could not catch no matter how hard she tried.

"The people." Melissa responded coldly, her eyes moving slowly around in an attempt to scan for her enemies whereabouts.

"I see. It's no wonder you're so popular~" Melissa taking a few steps forward through the mist only found it getting thicker and thicker the further she went.

"I wonder though, do you really love the people?" Mary questions in a childish tone.

"Love is a very strong word." Melissa stopped in her tracks, at this point the mist was so thick she couldn't even tell where the edges of the street were. "I can safely say I've never loved anyone nor anything in my life."

"Is that why you work alone?" Mary shot out another question taking Melissa's answer completely in stride. She always did this, always picked at Melissa's brain as if she were trying to find a weak point. Unfortunately for her Melissa was anything but weak.

"Not exactly. People are difficult to deal-"

"You always seem to find a way to say that, don't you Melissa? Is it some kind of catchphrase?"

"What are you talking about?"

"You say it so often but you don't notice? 'People are difficult to deal with' seems to be your answer for everything involving others. Not everyone is difficult to deal with~"

"Well you definitely are..." Melissa tightened her grip on her pistol waiting for Mary's response.

"Hehe ahh shucks-" The moment Mary spoke again Melissa aimed her gun to the left of herself and fired twice producing a deafening noise and the sound of bullet shells hitting the floor.

Silence followed for a few long moments but Melissa wasn't a person of hope, no even if the people considered her to be a symbol of hope she herself had none. This is to say that she wasn't under the illusion that Mary had been killed or incapacitated. That is why when the rebel leader spoke again she wasn't surprised at all.

"Maybe you're the one who's the problem, have you ever thought of that Melissa?"

(Me?)

"Impossible."

"See it's the fact that you use words like 'impossible' that's holding you back you know?" Mary's voice sounded genuinely sad for Melissa, however the cool headed enforcer couldn't understand why this was at all. Why did Mary always stay behind to talk to her? Why did she always ask her such prying questions? Why was she always so persistent against things that were impossible?

Melissa couldn't understand why.

However what she did know was that this was exactly why she disliked people. People are so very difficult to understand...

"Cheep! Cheep! Cheep~" Epis yelled at Cebrail, stirring her awake from her dream.

After being reborn she hadn't gotten all of her memories of her previous life, Solomon had told her that it would overload her soul if she got everything at once so she slowly reacquired them in her dreams. It of course wasn't every time she slept or else she would have already regained everything, she didn't know what triggered it yet though.

"Ughh... can't I just sleep a bit more Epis?" Cebrail groaned but the green hedgehog slammed its forehead into the bottom of her chin waking her up completely.