Chapter 19 - Unfinished Battle

"Wait! Mother! I'm sorry!" A young child yelled as she was pulled along helplessly by a woman with a stern expression on her face.

"If you were sorry you wouldn't keep making the same mistakes Melissa." The woman scolded Melissa harshly as she dragged her daughter by the arm and tossed her into a near pitch black room. "I'll let you out after I think you've finally learned your lesson."

The door closed quickly, snuffing out the light of the hallway. Now the only light was from a small window.

The young Melissa Wargrave sat against the door with her knees pulled into her chest and tears streaming from her eyes.

"Why do I have to fight?"

"Because my last name is Wargrave?"

"I don't understand at all... I hate fighting..."

Seeing the lances of light coming towards her and hearing Cthylla's words a sudden memory had come to Cebrail from her past life.

Simply due to the fact that her name was Melissa WARGRAVE she was all but doomed from birth to fight for the church. She had never particularly liked fighting. She could never understand what the purpose of it was. After all, everyone was human and capable of communicating with each other logically, so why not simply look for another solution?

Bloodshed only leads to more bloodshed. Revenge only leads to more revenge. Suffering only leads to more suffering.

It's so obvious that Cebrail had found it strange that people could be so adamant about throwing their fists around to solve disputes. This confusion was what gave her the bad habit of asking her enemies for their reason for fighting.

She always hopes for the reason to be something grand like the rebels who fought for the freedom of expression of humanity. However most of the time while answers were incredibly varied, they were also incredibly selfish or stupid.

In this new life things haven't changed much at all, in fact she found that people are far more stupid than in her previous life.

"You're a bit too young to be trying to assume things about me." Cebrail stated in an icy tone and yet again a barrier enveloped them and the lances of light vanished before reappearing aimed straight for the sky.

The barrier disappeared right after as the sea green light lances shot into the air harmlessly.

"Hehe, if you think that's all I have then you're sorely mistaken!" Cthylla raised her hand to summon more lances however instantly another barrier enveloped the area and Cebrail vanished.

("CTHYLLAAAA!!!!") The girl's retainer screamed in her head but she didn't understand why the dragon sounded so distressed until she felt a searing pain in her abdomen as blood erupted from a deep cut and she fell back.

Just as she was about to hit the ground a set of strong arms caught her.

"Cthylla! Cthylla!" The voice was that of her retainer Shiroyasha, a former divine eastern Dragon that was sealed away long ago. She had lost most of her power when she was unsealed by the contracting power of Solomon's Ring.

"Child. Let me give you a warning since you don't seem to understand what you're getting yourself into." Cebrail turned around staring at the two girls with uncharacteristically cold eyes. "Once you've decided to fight, the battle never ends. After beating one person another even stronger than that will appear and even if you somehow manage to defeat them can you guess what will happen? In the end, battle is just one miserable cycle that will never end unless you finally succumb to it and die!"