The First Sign of trouble: 1

After I discovered I can change elements, I began seeing if I can do with them what I could do with the wood element. Turns out that I can. Boy, my powers were so tame and made sense back then.

It's been a day or two since I woke up in this place. I stayed near the pond of water while I tested my new powers. Mainly because that was my only source of water at the moment.

I wanted to test out what I can and can't do mainly to be safe. I got lucky with that dog-thing incident, I don't want to keep testing my luck.

I can easily move rocks with my mind. It's hard, but I can do it. I can also shoot rocks from my arms, but they're already as big as my arm itself, and I can't shoot bigger than that.

As for water. Its pretty much the same. But I also have intangible. I picked up one of the rocks and made it just... drop through my palm.

It's weird, though. Through these two days, I did not either eat or sleep. I mean, I was made of wood, rock, or water most of the time, so it made sense that I didn't exactly need nutrition. Heck, from what I see when I turn to water, I don't have any eternal organs.

That was both good and weird.

The whole world seemed weird to me back then. Boy, was I so naive.

"Alright," I said watching the sun rise and morning begin. I was in my wood form, and I think I'm subconsciously making it my default form. "Let's see what I can do today," I said putting a hand on my chin. "Hmm... I wonder if turning to rock increases my strength or water my agility. I'll have to try and-"

That's when I felt it. I don't know how to explain, but I felt a strong sense that something was... wrong. Just wrong.

My instinct directed my gaze to one direction in the trees, away from where I was. Honestly, a part of me wanted to ignore this feeling, but it didn't sit right with me.

With a sigh, I started walking in that direction. I might as well see what's making me feel like this in the first place.

After a while of walking, I couldn't see the pond anymore, and to make sure I found it again I used my tree element to leave a trail of bushes.

Then, I found what I believed was the cause of this feeling.

(Humans?) I thought to myself as I saw the group of at least a dozen people.

I should have been focusing on the fact I finally made human contact, but I was more concerned over the fact they were being attack by a group of that dog-like thing.

Looks like I was right, this was their territory.

"There's no way they'll survive," I mumbled looking over the people. There were six of the dog-things, and the humans outnumbered them, but it was obvious none of them was a fighter.

They were all wearing practically rugs with some luggage being carried by a few men. Maybe they were refugees? Or maybe travellers?

(I get nothing by helping them,) I thought to myself looking at the dog-things as they started getting closer to the humans. (But... it doesn't feel right. Plus, this is a good chance to test my powers.)

After taking a deep breath, I solidified my resolve and jumped forward after taking a step back.

Midair, I changed from wood to rock, and smashed my foot into the head of one of the dog-things, knocking it away and out of consciousness.

Some of the humans began screaming at my sudden appearance, but I just turned my back to them and focused on the dog-things. I might be made of rocks - at the moment -, but I wasn't as stupid as one.

One of the dog-things jumped at me from the side, fangs and claws ready to attack. I decided to try something and changed my element to water.

Just as I suspected, he passed right through me with a splash and ended up on the other side. I raised my hand and sent a blast of water at him, sending him straight to another and causing them to collide.

Three were left. I looked them as they apparently became hesitant to attack. That was a good sign. It means I might be able to scare them off now.

I turned my element to wood and smacked my hands on the ground. I focused as hard as I can and a tree suddenly appeared from the ground between us with it's branches pointing everywhere.

That was the last thing they needed to be sure they won't win. The remaining three ran away while the two I knocked away with water began limping after them. The last one was unconscious, so I decided to leave it be in its harmless state.

"Phew, glad that's over with," I sighed to myself. I honestly didn't want to drag this on even if I wanted to test my powers. "Are you people-"

I didn't even get to ask the humans if they were okay before they turned around and ran away screaming in the opposite direction of the dog-things.

Seeing their fleeing forms, I had one thing to say. "Pfft. Tourists," I said, shaking my head.

Did I have the right to mock them considering my own reaction to just one of those things?

No.

Did I care?

An even bigger no.