Making Your Mark: 1

"Okay, kid, today, we'll be going out for training," I said to Svend as he picked up his shields.

It's been a while since my test finished, and I wanted him to get more on field action, so I asked Yggdrasil to look for something special.

"Where are we going, Meistari?" Svend asked.

"There's a small group of giants in the south. We're going to go there and see how you fair against them," I explained as I turned to my wind element and picked him up by the back of his shirt.

I flew through the air and headed straight to where Yggdrasil said the giants were. It wasn't really hard to find a group of literal giants. Especially since they were out in the open.

However, what I didn't expect was that the giants were not alone.

Fighting the group of giants was a small group of humans. They were all wearing leather armours, metal helmets, and carrying weapons ranging from swords, spears, and a couple of bowmen in the back.

"What's going on?" Svend asked as he and I landed on the edge of the battlefield but out of sight.

I turned back to my tree element and sensed around. "These people are probably a scout group. They're too few to be an actual battle force. There's a village not too far ahead, so they were most likely sent here by them," I explained, sensing the village in the distance.

"They're gonna lose," Svend commented, seeing the number of giants they were facing.

There were six giants in total, and only about five scouts.

"If you're gonna help them, you'll have to do it alone," I said as I leaned back one of the trees around.

Svend looked at me in surprise. "You're not gonna help, Meistari?"

"Two things," I said raising two fingers. "One, this is meant to be a trial test for how strong you are now, not for me. And two, the last time I helped a group of humans, they didn't take it well."

As soon as I finished, Svend dashed towards the battle with speed that no other human would match.

Third POV:

The norse warriors were slowly backing away as the giants advanced towards them. They had no way out except to simply turn tail and run away, and none of them wanted such dishonour.

However, the sound of something extremely heavy dropping on the ground caught their attention. The giants looked at where the sound was coming from and the Norse warriors followed their gaze.

To their surprise, the giant in the far back now lay dead. The back of it's head appeared completely crushed and standing on it's back was a large, muscled man holding half a shield in each hand.

The man charged forward at great speed to the next giant. The giant swung down the spear, attempting to crush the incoming human.

Svend easily dodged the strike without stopping. Reaching the giant's feet, he swung one of Astrid's halves at the knee joint, causing a sickening 'crunch' to be heard.

The giant fell down, and before it even attempted to stand up, Svend crushed it's lowered head with his shields.

Heading to the next giant, Svend raised his shields as the giant's spear dragged through the ground, heading towards him. Astrid blocked the attack completely and allowed Svend to reach the giant.

Jumping towards the giant's chest and flipping one of the halves of his shields to the sharp end, Svend decapitated the giant and the body began to fall backwards.

Towards the third giant.

Quickly writing runes on the giant's headless body from the blood coming from the neck, Svend jumped away and watched as the Runes let up just as the the corpse reached the other giant and it exploded, killing the other giant.

Only two giant's left.

As soon as his feet touched the ground, Svend charged towards the remaining giants, one of which dropped their spear and tried to grab him.

Rolling under the giant's grasp, Svend landed in a crouch and put all his strength in his feet. Jumping upwards, he swung up at the giant's head, striking it hard enough to rip it clean off.

Svend kept going upwards, and when he began descending, he started heading to the last giant, raising both halves of Astrid. The last giant swung his spear at Svend as he came falling down.

The runes on Astrid glowed as the spear and shield collided, but the spear shattered completely while the shield remained without a scratch and crushed the giant's head.

As the body fell with a large thud, Svend stood straight and sighed, happy that this went smoothly. He also noted how, compared to five months of fighting Zack, this was far easier.

Looking up at the norse warriors as they stared at him in absolute shock, Svend smiled and dropped his shields, offering a handshake. "Hello there."