Golden King: 3

If you ask every great ruler in history what was their biggest obstacle, nearly all of them will give the same answer: paperwork and politics.

"You STILL won't take them in?" I resisted the urge to punch Gilgamesh on his smug face as I motioned to the people behind me.

"Of course not," not like the bastard cared. "As I said. I do not take any wandering animal into my kingdom. What reason do I have to take these people in?"

Goddammit. The worst part is that he was right. Logically, he has no reason to actually accept these people. (What the hell am I supposed to do with these people now?)

"Don't take what Gil is saying the wrong way," Enkidu said. He was honestly the only voice of reason in this conversation. "The truth is Uruk has been receiving more refugees than usual lately and expanding the city hasn't been going fast enough. As such, there is actually no place for them to stay."

I placed a hand on my head as I tried to think of a solution. The city not expanding fast enough was probably due to Gilgamesh not actually doing his work properly in this phase of his life. He actually deserved to work himself to death after that much procrastinating.

"Isn't there anything that can be done?" I asked, almost pleading.

For one thing, these people were genuinely counting on me to help them. I wasn't really the Heroic type, but I still refused to let so many people counting on me down. For another thing, I didn't want the responsibility of their lives on my shoulders for long.

"They can stay around the city and the guards will not hurt them," Enkidu started before shaking his head. "But they won't get any supplies or shelter built for some time. The inside of the city takes priority, after all."

"Dammit," I sighed as I scratched my head, trying to think of a solution.

"Hold on, Enkidu," Gilgamesh said catching our attention, and I especially didn't like the smile he had. "There is a way for them to get shelter," he then pointed at me. "You, Elemental, I've seen that you can turn to various elements, so create shelter for them."

"You want me to what?" I truly had to check what he said. He wanted me to actually create homes for these people?

"You may use this side-" he pointed at one of the sides of the wall, "-as you see fit. Create homes for the people you brought to my city. Make it interesting, and I will take care of the supplies."

Now I get it. Gilgamesh wanted to see if I could actually do it as a form of entertainment. That bastard was just bored and wanted to see me struggle.

(Can... Can I actually do it?) I could do a lot with my powers, obviously, but I've never tried something on the scale of building a home, let alone several.

I looked back at the people... which was a mistake because they obviously heard Gilgamesh from how their hopeful and pleading looks were now directed at me.

(Dammit, now I'll HAVE to try,) I thought bitterly and stepped forward, looking at the side that Gilgamesh pointed at. (How am I supposed-) that's when I had a thought.

I doubted it can work. But, then again, Aang pulled a similar thing, didn't he? If I can replicate it to an extent, maybe, just MAYBE I could pull this off.

"So, just to be clear, I can do whatever I want to this side as long as I can create homes?" I asked Gilgamesh.

He raised an eyebrow and gave me a challenging smirk. "As long as it does not harm the city or the people inside, do as you please," Wow, he must be seriously bored.

Well, enough about that.

I turned towards the wall and turned to my rock element. I looked at my hands an decided to pull out everything I know from Avatar.

I stomped my foot forward, raised my hands to the wall, and began to pull as strong as I could.

At first, there was nothing. Then, the area began shaking a bit. Slowly, cracks formed on the wall, before a giant square from the wall of Uruk was torn out from the rest of it. There were screams from behind it, probably people, but I ignored them.

The wall did not fall and just kept moving towards me. When I saw it was close enough, I let it go and focused on the ground around it. This time, I pushed upwards rather than pull.

Two walls began raising from the ground slowly. It was... straining. Like using a muscle you don't actually have on your body. I honestly didn't know how to explain it other than that.

Slowly, the walls reached the same hight as the one I tore from Uruk, forming a large cube-like structure with no ceiling outside the city.

I stopped the strain and watched to see if any of the walls would drop. There was obviously a lot of dust around from what I did, but the walls seemed sturdy and still. They were gonna stay there.

It was... not tiring per say, but straining. I honestly had no other way to describe.

"Amazing," I heard Enkidu's voice from behind me. "I didn't even sense any divinity or mage-craft. You simply willed the stone to follow your desire."

I looked back. Enkidu was looking at what I did in fascination, the people were looking in awe and amazement - something I was used to at this point -, and Gilgamesh still had his smirk, but his eyebrow was twitching to worrying degree. Probably because he realised why I asked if I can do whatever I want to this side of the wall.

"So... does this work?"

The one good thing about politics? There's always a loophole you can use.