King-less: 1

For the past few days I've been helping Uruk recover from Gugalanna's attack. Now that the funeral is done and over with, the city can focus on repairing itself and recovering from the attack.

According to Enkidu, I made the process which would have taken months, maybe years, take nothing but a couple of days. Honestly, that did make me feel better about everything.

And speaking of repairing the city, I was supposed to fix the wall today.

Looking at the giant hole in Uruk's walls, I held my hand forward and changed to my rock element. The broken pieces lifted themselves off the ground and started putting themselves back where they belong.

When all the pieces were back in place, the cracks started vanishing as they melded together. When I let my hand drop, the wall of Uruk looked exactly like it did before the attack.

"Well, that should take care of it," I looked at one of the guards that were looking at the wall in awe. "I'll be going to see what Gilgamesh's next step of repairs is. You take care of the rest here," I said and the guard nodded, still in shock.

There wasn't much left to do, honestly, beyond helping the people settle back in. I still thought that was pretty important since the people were still a little rattled from the attack and needed assurance.

I made it into the castle and noticed the extreme lack of the usual guards and servants. Gilgamesh had all hands on deck when it came to the recovery. Uruk was both shorthanded and spread thin. Siduri even said that they would have gave up on some parts of the city if it wasn't for me around.

Now that I think about it, poor Siduri would have probably had a stroke if she saw the damage from my fight with the moon vampire.

"Hey, Gilgamesh, I fixed the city walls," I said as I walked into the throne room.

"Hmm, yes, well-done, Tree," Gilgamesh simply waved it off while looking at the tablet in his hand.

I would have sighed if I had lungs. Lately, Gilgamesh has been rather absent minded. Stuff that would have made him lose it just got a gruff of annoyance from him now. Even Enkidu didn't seem to get much of a reaction out of him.

"Siduri, this will be all for today," Gilgamesh suddenly stood up from his throne. "Tree, follow me. I have a private matter to discuss."

.... or maybe he still has some life in him.

I was seriously confused. I looked at Siduri who was collecting the stone tablets around Gilgamesh's throne and she herself seems to have a confused expression. Looks like she doesn't know what this is about either.

I followed Gilgamesh as he walked out of the throne room and headed to the castle gates. He stopped at the gate and looked down at the city.

"Leave us," was the only thing he said and the guards near the gate were gone in a second.

We just stood in silence while looking over Uruk. There were still a few places that were wrecked and scorched from the attack, but most the city looked like it was back to normal. The streets weren't as lively though, as the people still haven't recovered.

"I'm leaving Uruk."

... "What?" I asked, looking at Gilgamesh like he grew a second head out of his feet.

"There is a legend of a herb of immortality," Gilgamesh started speaking before crossing his arms. "I wish to find it and gain its power."

Why would he look for the herb!? Enkidu didn't die. Sure, he got close-...(Wait... is that it?) I asked myself.

Enkidu didn't die, but he got really close to it, and Gilgamesh had to seriously strain himself during the fight. So, did the fight make Gilgamesh become aware that he and Enkidu can die like everyone else?

If so, then he most likely despised that he actually feared death, even if it was for a single moment.

"Wait, why are you telling me this?" I asked, confused.

"Because, I will be entrusting protecting Uruk to you and Enkidu until I return, Zack," Gilgamesh replied, still not looking at me.

(Holy shit! He actually used my name!) I knew for a fact how serious this means the situation is. I groaned and shook my head. "You know that, even with you leaving me and Enkidu to keep Uruk safe, there will still be a lot of people that are angry you left."

Gilgamesh finally turned to me and raised an eyebrow. "And I should care what they think because... ?"

Honestly, I don't know why I actually expected a different response.