Big Boy, Big Shield: 2

"Today is a special day, kid," I said as I was writing on the ground. "You'll be getting your own, personalised weapon."

Svend was standing at the side while looking at me in excitement. I cleaned him up and cut his hair again. He was still shirtless but was wearing a fur vest and new pants. He still had signs of developing a beard. He apparently liked it.

When I was done writing, three circles of runes were around a large metal anvil I made earlier. The runes were meant to strengthen the materials and make them fuse better. I never genuinely forged something, after all. I only made stuff purely with my elements.

But, as his mentor, I feel like I should be a bit more professional about this.

"Alright, that should take care of it," I said as I walked towards the anvil and looked at Svend. "You might wanna take a few steps back. Also, tell me what you'd like in your new shield."

Svend looked at his beat up old shield which he was still holding before answering. "I want it to be two shields like these and join together, too. But, I want them to be shaped in a way that I can stab with them if necessary."

I rubbed my chin as I tried to visualise something that would fit. "I think I got it," turning to the anvil, I began to work.

I turned one of my hands to metal while turning the other hand to fire. Creating a ball of each of the two elements, I smashed them on the anvil and watched as the metal began absorbing the heat.

When the metal turned red and was beginning to turn white, I created a THIRD ARM from my shoulder and turned hand into a hammer. Raising it in the air, I swung down and smacked it on the metal, making the rune circles around begin to glow. Raising the hammer again, I swung down and the runes grew brighter.

So far, I was only using normal metal. I could use divine metal, but I wanted something more special. A shield made from divine metal alone wouldn't be all that special. In fact, I'm pretty sure Achilles has one.

First, I would make it from normal metal. Then, after placing runes on that first layer, I will cover it with divine metal and have that also infused with Runes.

I'm gonna make a shield that makes Galahad cry blood.

I increased the heat from my fire arm and added more metal. When the shape of the shield was complete, the third arm turned to a big nail and I began carving Runes on it.

When I was done, the shield had 'Strength of Will and Mind' written in Runes on it.

With the first layer done, my metal arm turned from silver to blue, showing that I was using divine metal now. I began pouring metal and fire in as my third arm turned back to a hammer and began swinging.

The runes began glowing brighter, probably reacting to the mystical properties of divine metal. I just kept swinging my hammer. When the metals were joined perfectly, which the runes should have made sure of, the third arm turned to a nail again and began carving Runes.

This new layer had 'Strength of Body' written in it.

When the shape was perfect and the runes were complete, I turned to my water element and began dowsing the shield in water, which covered the area in steam.

Turning to my wind element, I blew the steam away and held the shield up. The shape was a general kite shield, but the centre was pure silver with the outlines being gold and the pattern of roots running across the edges. The runes we were glowing on the top and bottom of the shield.

The shield itself was almost as tall as a person and as wide as a man's chest. There was also a line running down the middle until it reached the pointy tip.

"Here you are, kid, your own personalised weapon," I said as I held the shield forward.

Svend held the shield before splitting it in two, making two thin but long shields, and holding each half in one hand. He held it in a way that the arrow shaped end would point to the back of his hand and the blunt sides would point to the end of his hand.

"The only thing left is for you to name it," I said while crossing my arms.

Svend looked at me in surprise. "But... Shouldn't you name it since you made it, Meistari?"

"It's YOUR weapon, kid. I made it, but to make it truly yours, the one who name it has to be you," I explained while also leaving out the fact I was awful in names.

Svend looked at the two shields before holding his forearms forward and joining them together to form one large kite shield. "Astrid."

"Any reason for that name?" I asked.

Svend looked down. "It's... the name of my sister."

I stayed quiet for a few seconds before asking. "Hey, do you know why I decided to make you a special weapon now of all times?"

"Uhmm," Svend blinked at me. "Because I passed your latest test?"

"That was a training session, not a test," I commented.

Svend looked down, but this time in thought, before looking back at me and shrugging his shoulders, showing that he had no idea.

I placed a hand on his shoulder and said. "Happy birthday, Svend."

The boy only looked this shocked when I agreed to take him in as a student before a soft smile graced his lips. "Thank you, Meistari."