Magus: 3

"Truly fascinating," the Einzbern Lord - who I learned was named Ainzel - was looking me all over and I explained my nature. "I've seen and studied many Elementals, but you're unique even among them."

This would have sounded more flattering if she showed any emotions at all.

We were sitting in the garden of the Einzbern castle. Either it's a Magus thing or this family has a thing for castles. Ainzel took us there after Gordon introduced me and we just sat in a table with maids bringing tea which I declined.

"Yes, we seem to have gotten quite the unusual ally," Gordon commented as he drank from his tea.

"Uh... shouldn't you be going to give your report or something?" I asked in confusion.

"That is not necessary. Lord Barthomeloi is very thorough in his reports and I already sent a maid with a copy of mine," Ainzel explained.

Well, I didn't care either way, honestly. "I have to admit, I'm surprised to see two of the Magicians in the same place."

"If you had appeared a few hundred years earlier, you would have met First Magic as well," Ainzel said and I was a little surprised she didn't bat an eye to how I knew she was a Magician.

"Who WAS the user of First Magic, by the way?" I asked since I never learned who they were.

"It was a Witch. One very powerful and with many followers. Most of the current witches follow her teachings," again, Ainzel explained without a second of hesitation. I'm seriously surprised on how she's casually giving away information.

"Aren't you a little worried about sharing information like that?" I asked.

Ainzel tilted her head. "Why? The Witch is long gone. How could knowing her identity harm her in any way?"

... Well, she got a point. I couldn't really do anything about the user of First no matter how much I know about them now since they're dead.

"She would have been interested in meeting you," Ainzel added. "An Elemental that has neither mystics nor a soul. Simply a body and a conscious. She would have spent entire years studying what you are."

"Okay... Oh, I just remembered, I need to ask you something," I turned serious and was about to say something before my gaze turned to the third person on the table. "Uh... Gordon, I don't mean to be rude, but this is a rather private matter."

"Oh, I see," He nodded with an understanding look before getting up. "I shall wait for you to finish outside," he said before walking away and out of the courtyard.

I was a little surprised that he agreed so easily but then remembered that, as a Magus, he should be used to many discussions where he was asked to leave or not to listen in because of how Magus families like to keep secrets.

"Now, what is it that you want to ask?" Ainzel questioned.

"Well, since you're the user of Third Magic, I figured you're probably the biggest expert on souls and all," I started looking her straight in the eyes. "I've been told that I don't have a soul just as I don't have mystics and I want to ask... How is that possible? Even fairies and Ancestors have souls, but I don't. Why am I so... different?"

"There's many types of Elementals and even fairies tend to be different. Why do you believe that something is faulty with you?" Ainzel asked.

I crossed my arms over the table. "Can you keep a secret?" I asked.

"Do you see anyone in this city, even members of my family, who also have my Third Magic?"

"... Fair point," I replied before looking down. "I believe I was... human," I say and Ainzel tilted her head. "I just woke up like this one day without any memory on what happened. I don't know how I ended like this but-"

"Impossible," Ainzel cut me off.

"I'm sorry?"

"There is simply no possible way that, at any point of your life, you were human either physically or mentally. If this is a joke, it is not funny," Ainzel stated without holding anything back.

I groaned. "Look, I'm telling you that-"

"What is your name?" She cut me off again.

"What?"

"Your full name. If you were human once, what is your full name that you went by?"

"That's easy, it was..." I stopped because... I didn't know the answer.

Come to think of it. I've always said my name was 'Zack' and left it at that. I don't think I've ever used a 'full name' before. And more so... I don't remember anything from my 'human days' .

That's not right. I still know things. I know about stuff only someone who knows about the Nasuverse should know. I read it when-.... When did I read any of this?

I... I don't remember anything from before waking up like this. I know stuff but that's not the same as remembering.

"Judging by your look, you realised now, didn't you?" Ainzel broke me out of my thoughts and I just looked at her in confusion. She took her cup of tea and showed it to me. "Do you see the cup? Is it full or empty?"

"Uh... full, obviously."

She then poured her cup down on the grass and showed it to me again. "And now?"

"Empty."

"Wrong," Ainzel traced one of her fingers inside the cup and showed it to me. The tip of her finger was wet. "Just because the cup is no longer full does not mean it's empty. Even if I poured out the content, there are still traces of tea left. That is why I know you were never human. It is because there should be traces of a human soul left in you, but you have not even a spark of that."

"Then... why did I think I was human?" I asked.

"I would not know. For I was not there when you were born," Ainzel said, placing her cup down and holding her chin. "As for your earlier question on why you are different from other Elementals, I have a couple of theories. The first is that you are the Elemental version of being born with a mutation. Some form of defect that renders you different. The other theory is that whoever or whatever created you was in a rush and didn't have the time to properly adjust you to mystics or create a soul. They simply made your body and left you at that. That theory is more likely considering that your ability to gain new elements is probably a form of compensation over the fact they didn't have the ability to give you any mystics."

So... The reason I was so different is because I'm defective or was made in such a hurry that I didn't get the chance to have a soul or mystics added to me?

That's just rude.

"As for Why did you think you were human," Ainzel's expression didn't change but her eyes gained a certain excitement to them. "You can stay at the Einzbern castle and we can study you to find an answer."

For a second, I did actually consider her offer, but then I realised something. "You know what?" I asked as I got up. "Thanks, but no thanks. I'm okay," I said and she tilted her head. "I realised that... It doesn't matter. It never did. I haven't thought I was human in over thousands of years and even back when I did I was weird. I am curious, but that's all it is. Just curious. I don't feel any need to know. Not now. Maybe a couple of thousands years ago, so sorry but you're late."

"I see," Ainzel nodded, the excitement in her eyes turning to disappointment. "Should you change your mind, I will always be waiting in the Einzbern castle."

"Sure you will," I mumbled and she tilted her head in confusion but I just turned around and walked out. "Gordon, you there?" I called out.

"Yes, is everything alright?" I found him standing by the entrance to the castle, away from the courtyard.

"You never showed me your place. Wanna do it now?" I asked. He commented on how he wants to show me when we first got to the Einzbern castle.

"Oh-ho," Gordon looked rather proud. "You wish to see the greatness of the Musik family? Well, I do not blame you. Follow me. You will see the greatest example of hospitality," he said as he began walking out besides me.

How does he sound so stuck up but friendly at the same time?

(A/N:Discord Server: https://discord .gg/ rX4J2hzQ)