Dealing with Ego: 2

Everyone experiences a moment where they think they have things figured out, but it turns out they were wrong.

Welcome to the Nasuverse.

"Aaaand that's the last of them," I said as I stopped shooting water, having just filled another fountain. "That WAS the last one, right?" I asked the guard that guided me to each fountain in the city.

The guard nodded. "Indeed. His majesty did not have further orders for you, so you may return to the forest nomad section."

(Oh, so people were already calling it that?) I shrugged my shoulders and just walked up away while turning to my wood element, trying to find the look for the trees I used as a roof for that section.

I spent a good deal of the day just filling fountains and the sun started setting. People around me where avoiding me and sometimes outright running away.

Did I care? Not really. Sure, it was a little irritating, but I couldn't exactly blame them with the way I looked. I'd say the only reason none of the guards tried to attack me is on Gilgamesh's orders.

Even with the way people were acting, I still got the chance to admire the city. It really was beautiful. I wasn't a history nut, but I had to admire the craftsmanship of homes made from either clay or stone.

"Ah, there you are," I stopped as I spotted Enkidu walking towards me. "Finding you is quite hard you know. You don't give any magical energy to track."

"Sorry, I guess?" I didn't exactly know how to respond to something like that. "Why were you looking for me, anyway? Don't tell me Gilgamesh has another bathtub he wants me to fill," I didn't put it past him to have several after this morning.

Enkidu smiled and shook his head. "No, not this time. I actually wanted to personally see you out of curiosity."

Ignoring the fact he said 'this time', I asked, "Curious about what?"

"What you are, to be honest," Enkidu replied while tilting his head. "I hope this does not sound rude, but can you change into your liquid form?"

I figured he meant my water element, so I did that. Enkidu looked over me for a moment before raising his hand. It started glowing a faint gold colour... and he then literally shoved his hand in my chest.

"W-What are you doing?!" I asked almost taking a step back.

"Please hold still for a moment," Enkidu said and started moving his hand around inside me.

It didn't look like he was trying to attack me or anything, so I just did what he asked. He kept moving his hand around. It was seriously weird and awkward to have someone just... move their hand like that inside you.

"Fascinating," Enkidu pulled back his hand which was covered in water now. "Did you feel anything?"

"I mean... kind of? I felt your hand there, but that's just it," I shrugged my shoulders. I didn't actually feel any pain. I just felt like something foreign was in me.

"What I just did was try to find any mystical properties in you," Enkidu explained, looking pretty serious. "But, I found none. Even if I wasn't able to sense them, they should have responded to what I was doing, yet they didn't. Which means you have no mystical properties whatsoever," he then put a hand in his chin. "Truly fascinating. At the moment, you are purely made of water and nothing else. Mystical or not. It is as if the elements themselves have been given a conscious."

(That... that's not right,) I thought to myself narrowing my eyes.

I looked up elementals in the Nasuverse before. They were either pure mystics born of magical energy or mystics given the conceptional properties of humans. But, what Enkidu just described is neither.

Wait... (Didn't Gilgamesh say something about this?) I thought, putting a hand on my chin and recalling our fight. (He said I was... 'too much' of an Elemental?)

"Well, I can certainly say that Gil would not be bored with you around," Enkidu said breaking me out of my thoughts. "He's been running out of new things to try. So, having you and those four elements you control around is sure to give him some entertainment."

I would have been insulted that he stoll refers to me as 'entertainment' if I wasn't appreciating how he was talking about making his friend feel better.

"It might be four for now but I can-" I went quiet as an idea formed in my head. "AW COME ON!?" I yelled out as I smacked my hands on my face.

People around jumped in shock and most even ran away. "What's wrong?" Enkidu asked me while tilting his head.

"I could have gotten a new element!" I cried out.

During the fight with Gilgamesh, I could have bonded with whatever his weapons were made of. That wouldn't have only given me a new weapon, but also a major advantage over Gilgamesh.

(Okay, okay... I can at least role that out as being too panicked that I was fighting THE Gilgamesh to think of doing,) I told myself trying to soothe my hurt pride and ignore my own idiocy.

Thankfully, Gilgamesh never found out about that because he would never let me live it down if he did.