Dealing With Ego: 3

(A/N: just wanted to say; unless stated otherwise, Zack's default form is his Tree element.)

Somethings never change. That is a fact.

However, there are things that you can never stop from changing.

"So they truly thought you were a god?" Enkidu asked as we walked together to the forest nomad section.

After his little 'test' - let's call it that - he decided to join me to walking to the dessert nomad section, and he asked how I came to be with the forest nomads.

"It was weird, I know," I replied to him as we walked through the city. "I didn't even know how to react. They just came to me, bowed, and then called me a god. They must have really been desperate."

"Humans can sometimes mistake kindness for divine grace given the situation," Enkidu commented and I nodded, agreeing with him.

I mean, that's how the Greek 'Gods' even became gods in the first place.

"Yeah, but I had no intention of having them see me as some divine being, so I told them to stop calling me that," I explained to him.

"That is odd," Enkidu looked at me with a tilted head. "I am not saying I would not have done the same, but why did you do it?"

I sighed and looked at him with the strongest deadpan look I can muster. "Enkidu, there are several temples dedicated to gods and their religion around, correct?" Enkidu nodded at my question. "Let me ask you this; in the long run, do you see any of them having any kind of a positive ending?"

Enkidu looked deep in thought as he put a hand on his chin and looked at the now purple sky - it was almost nighttime -, obviously thinking over what I said.

"I suppose you have a point," he said before he smiled in a way that wasn't exactly friendly. "Especially those fools from Inanna's temple. They're all likely to have awful ends."

(Inanna? Wasn't she- Oh, right. He had a grudge against Ishtar,) I thought to myself. "Well, as I was saying, told them that I was no god and that I would help them find a new home. They told me they heard of Uruk and we spent two weeks or so travelling to get here."

"That must have been a tiring journey," Enkidu commented as the forest nomads section showed up in the distance. "Frankly, I'm surprised they had the courage to approach you and talk to you, looking the way you do. It must have been frightening for them. But, from what you've told me, they were quite desperate."

I nodded. "Yeah, they were desperate. I'm glad Baraka had the courage to... talk.. to me..." I mumbled as I stopped walking.

Enkidu noticed and stopped himself. "Is something wrong?"

"How... how can I understand them?" I asked realising that I never learned whatever language ancient Babylon used to speak.

"I'm sorry?" Enkidu tilted his head in confusion.

"U-Uhmm... What I meant is... I never exactly learned human language, so how can I understand how humans speak and be able to speak to them?" I asked.

"Why would you not?" Enkidu asked his own question, making me the one confused this time. "Language barriers are human limitations. An Elemental like you is not bound by it. So, I see no reason why you would not understand them."

(I mean... I guess that made sense?) I thought to myself while putting a hand on my chin. (But... that creates another question...)

That was when I started realising; my mind might have been altered with my body.

I didn't know how to react to this. Now that I think about it, I have been handling the change a bit too well. Not to mention I haven't been questioning some things as much as I used to.

I also realised that, while I didn't eat or sleep, I didn't even bat an eye to that. I didn't even seem to care about the passage of time and only kept count of the days passing out of habits.

This can be good... or bad... honestly, I didn't know.

"Is something bothering you?" Enkidu asked.

"U-Uh? No, not really. Just thinking, that's all," I commented as we started walking again.

When we got close to the section I pretty much created, Enkidu looked at me. "Well, I will be returning to Gil. He must have finished enjoying his new bath by now. I do look forward to speaking to you again, and please do visit Gil. He gets bored very easily."

"I'll... see what I can do about that," I replied with a shrug.

I didn't even know what I can do to make sure that the guy who owns almost everything feel entertained or happy. Sure, I helped with his bathtub, but what else I can do?

You'd think that entertaining the king of Heroes would be something difficult.

Well, it wasn't. Nor was it easy.

It was just... something... yeah, let's go with that.